Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-13-2007, 10:08 PM

Default Logic 8

Well, Logic 8 is out with an impressive set of features and a low price.

Digi is falling behind in the native DAW environment... it will be interesting to see how they react.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:42 AM

Default Re: Logic 8

Quote:

Digi is falling behind in the native DAW environment... it will be interesting to see how they react.

"Impressive" is definitely an understatement in this regards! Apple just raised the bar without the bar. After being on the phone most of the day about this, it's pretty safe to say that September 12, 2007 will be a day in history that the DAW world was shakin' up. This is HUGE HUGE talk on all other audio forums.

What you get for the price alone cannot be beat. Not to mention, if you check out the round trip latency of the Apogee Symphony hardware made for Logic 8, it makes the HD hardware look sad. And this is native we're talkin' here!!! How could a Mac owner even consider PT Mpowered/LE now? And your jaw would drop if you knew some of the people who just jumped ship today. On the Mac side, I cant see the Mpowered/LE line selling at all this holiday season. Apple just dropped a huge bomb and the mushroom cloud is still going up 3 days later.

For the first time *gulp*, myself and my studio partner looked at our Control/24 etc and discussed when we should sell it before we reach the point where we cant even give it away. Now THAT...is scary.

I'll try and pickup a Macbook(kickin' myself for gettin rid of mine ) this week so I can evaluate this new Logic 8 and see what all this insane internet chatter is about regarding it.

...and if I register on the Logic Audio forums, I'm gonna definitely dunk my head in a bucket of ice water to confirm that I'm alive and not dreaming. Three days later and I'm still pretty shocked at this whole event.

Oh well. All good things must...

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 09-14-2007, 04:10 AM

Quote:

ive just had a look at what the fuss is about and this statement is so true... the software looks great and the Apogee hardware looks (visually - technically) very good!.......

Ive been with Pro Tools for around three years because i was told its "industry" standard. Since this time Ive had to put up with the software's limitations - which has been a REAL HEADACHE at times...and im tired of this now.

Digidesign need to rethink - and let us know what they are thinking - because times are a' changing...

i still find it funny....or maybe quite sad that one of the latest features in Pro Tools was the abilty to stretch a tracks height.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:59 AM

Oh my!!! After some curious investigating and reading the new Logic manual, there is no way Digidesign, or anyone else for that matter, can compete with this:

Logic Pro and the price. And...my jaw just dropped at this stuff. Nikki K and others have been advocating that Digi take this type of PCI approach for over a year now. 1.6ms for the round trip latency in native!!!!!!!

Even more depressing...is the spec for Logic Express along with the price.

But... here is the real kicker! 32 channels of 24-bit 192K with 1.6 milliseconds of round trip latency at 96K on a laptop! HOLY BLEEP!

How much is the PT 7.4 upgrade gonna be and what are the features/new bugs we'll be paying for?

Where is that bucket of ice? I'm still sleeping and dreaming all of this right??

Shane

*Oh my...I just realized it's also serial based with no dongle crap! Wow, the return of customer trust and no more Dongle Police. Two thumbs up. How can one NOT look at this stuff.

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 09-14-2007, 06:11 AM

But don't forget that if something is broken in logic, you'll have to wait years to get it right.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:28 AM

Quote:
But don't forget that if something is broken in logic, you'll have to wait years to get it right.

We'll see. That's a business model that they probably overhauled along with this new release. But hey, it will be interesting to see the new PT 7.4 features and bugs we'll be paying for shortly. As far as things being "broken" and "having to wait years" etc, I wouldnt even go there. Being a PT fanboy and fulltime user for 8 years, I can definitely jump all over that comment.

Having said that, and with observing how Apple works, Logic 8 will probably drop to $300 in 8 weeks like the iPhone.

And if they ever need to get really competitive and want to up the ante, then bundling it free in OSX would just be pure evil.

Shane

Old 09-14-2007, 06:38 AM

Do the help menus work?

My original Plan was to buy a Mac Pro, Instead I built a Quad.

As pleased as I am with the Quad I have a feeling that waiting and saving my money would have been smarter.

But hey I DO have a MacBook Pro.

In history this may come to be seen as a bigger intro than the iPnone.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-14-2007, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Do the help menus work?
Depends on which release of PT you're asking about. I have them all. In some releases it's broken, in others it has worked.

Quote:
In history this may come to be seen as a bigger intro than the iPnone.
I still see the mushroom cloud rising from the bomb dropped 3 days ago. This definitely made history.

Shane

Old 09-14-2007, 07:55 AM

i am seeing ptle in my rear view mirror.........................................
Old 09-14-2007, 07:59 AM

Quote:
i am seeing ptle in my rear view mirror.........................................
Yup, it just went under Logics wheels.

Digi... this is an Excederin day.

ScottedogStudios on ReverbNation