Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 08-13-2007, 08:17 AM

Default Turn it off or leave it on?? C24

I have just built a console for th C24 and access to the on/off switch is a bit of a pain.

How long do you guys leave it on for, when its in built in consoles I imagine that this has been a quetion asked before?

AJ
Old 08-14-2007, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Turn it off or leave it on?? C24

Ours is powered through the main power conditioner in the room. When the room is turned off, the C24 is turned off also.

But for your question, we power it off every night. Some will argue against that I'm sure, but it's not been an issue with us.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:22 AM

Hey. Maybe a stupid question.....

I always thaught it was bad to have Phantom Power on when power cycling (on/off)

Do you guys leave it on? Or turn it on and off as you need it.

I can't imagine leaving it on ALL THE TIME, as I'm sure it'd be bad for the pre's?

I just figured it'd spike on cycling.... maybe not.

As far as leaving the C24 (or its pre's) on all the time. I too have the power set to ON and cycle it with my conditioners. My tidbit to not leaving it on is this: Solder actually grows hairs- it's a fact. Over time it grows microscopic hairs..... and as we all know, the circuitry on these things is very fine and close in some places, in which case it can eventually short. or whatever.

could be bad news.

Mac Pro 5,1 3.33 GHz Hex, 32GB
EFI Flashed - 5 GT/s Modded 7950, Dual Apple 23"
OSX Sierra
Pro Tools HD 11.2.2
Waves IOS, IOX, STG2412
Extreme Server (x2)
Logic Pro X, DSP Quattro, Final Cut Pro X
Waves Mercury+SSL+AbbeyRoads
Trident S65 with embedded US-2400

Live:
2012 Mac Mini, Dual SSD, i7 2.4, 16GB
Win 10, OSX Sierra
LV1, MRSG
Hardware from above (same gear)
Dual Dell P2418HT Touch Screens
Waves Icon X (x2), M, with Screens
Custom enclosure
Old 09-15-2007, 01:41 PM

Seems as though the whiskering effect is more of a problem with RoHS-compliant gear, and I'm not sure the C24 actually is RoHS compliant. Nevertheless, I don't think it's impacted by whether or not the power is on. I could be wrong.

Here's a basic blurb on the hair problem, for those of you not up to speed on the subject: Radstone.RG06.pdf

Look around the middle of page 2.

Another reason it may not be a problem on the C24 is it tends to only affect very closely-spaced circuit traces, and the internal boards on the C24 are not exactly using micro-miniature technology. I had to open mine up to repair one of the sliders because it got beat up in shipping. Repair was successful, and it gave me an opportunity to sniff around the insides while I had it open. Let's just say the board layouts are consistent with the time period the C24 was originally designed, which has been a while ago.

At any rate, I'm not real regular about leaving on or turning off. I definitely power down the whole works if bad weather is eminent, but I do like to leave things running so I don't have to make a big deal about going in to lay down some tracks. Sometimes creativity doesn't want to wait. I do know I turned the C24 off before turning the monitors off just once. Won't ever do that again; the thump almost threw my monitors' cones into the next county, and sent the cat four feet into the air.