Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 07-07-2011, 09:40 PM

Default Touch fader control for iPad

When will there be a dedicated app for the iPad to remote control the venue?
Old 07-08-2011, 02:16 AM

Default Re: Touch fader control for iPad

Hi I totally agree with you, Venue needs a dedicated software and not the nuisance that is the VNC patch, every time I use it, makes me forget all the other good qualities of my SC48.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:52 PM

I doubt an app will be released for the iPad, but I am not speaking for AVID. I use iTeleport on the iPad and that works fantastic. I have no complaints with it.

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 07-10-2011, 03:22 PM

Ya know, for months now i've just accepted that iTeleport will be the only remote possibility for Venue. Just last night, I mixed a show where there was a M7 out front and the monitor engineer with an iPad running Stage Mix on stage. FANTASTIC! Now I'm back in the mode of not wanting to accept the fact that the most cutting edge audio console on the market cannot have an app to compete with the M7, LS9, or Presonus for that matter. Having independent control from the iPad and it not affect the console GUI is pretty great. I have a hard time believing that Avid cannot create something to compete with this. I have a harder time understanding why one hasn't already been built??
Old 07-10-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limelight View Post
I have a harder time understanding why one hasn't already been built??
Simply ROI (return on investment) or TOT (Time on Task) = not worth it.
Mac Pro 2x2.8GHz Quad-Core, 14gigs of ram
Macbook Pro w/Retina Display, 2.3Ghz i7, 16gigs of ram
Old 07-10-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limelight View Post
I have a harder time understanding why one hasn't already been built??

How much are you willing to pay for it?? Anything can be done for the right price
Old 07-10-2011, 05:32 PM

Personally, I am a fan of the VNC route. The VENUE software is easy enough to use, especially with the correct tools at hand. IMHO, an app would only limit what can be done remotely, especially on the plug-in front. A lot of the configuring I do is split between the plug-in and snapshot screens. My one suggestion (which I believe is on IdeaScale) is I wish there was a flip-to-fader on the GUI for aux/var group mixes and an indication of gate/comps status on the level meters.

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 07-11-2011, 04:43 PM

"I have a hard time believing that Avid cannot create something to compete with this."

I would be more impressed if AVID did a short-feature set Android app.

Why? Because Steve Jobs and I don't agree.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:23 PM

Right, I understand all of your points. Have you guys played around with StageMix or the SL Remote from Presonus? They are free iPad apps. Download one, then pretend u were using that app to control the Venue. They are fantastic and not meant to be substitutes for actually working on the console, rather designed specifically for the iPad and giving u simple tools to use while walking the room or when you have a less than desired FOH position, etc. There is no comparison between those products and the VNC of the Avid desks. Totally different. The graphic EQ section of the SL app is great, the flip to faders on the StageMix is great too. Don't get me wrong, I'd never buy an M7 or 5D over an SC48 or Profile, ever! Just would be pretty cool and convenient to have an app like those other guys.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:39 AM

Well personally, I own a presonus sl 24.4.2 and run the app on my iPad app all the time for monitor mixing as well as for situations were positioning of FOH isn't exactly "FOH".., it works so seamlessly and have run the Allen and Heath iLive software app (which I paid $100) for in the app store and it is ideal for "less than ideal" situations.. The fact that iteleport is not as user friendly is just bothersome and I know that the folks at avid and it's supporters (Aka all of us) would be willing to pay for more flawless remote control.. After all, we throughout the generations of pro tools have requested more user friendly operation and look where we are now.. It's just a matter of time but the question becomes.. How long?