Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 05:31 AM

Default 192 capable of 24 in and outs?

Hi!
Am I getting this right, that one 192 unit can do 24 in and outs (8 analog and 16 Adat)and with an exp.card I can get extra 8 analog in and out?

What Adat interface do you guys use to get this?

I´m planning to get a Toft ATB 24 or 32 channel console and a HD 2 or 3.
I will also have the possibilty to mix trough the console.

Any thoughts and guidens is welcome.

Peter
Old 11-28-2007, 05:55 AM

Default Re: 192 capable of 24 in and outs?

Well, bananaboy and Inteldoc pretty much explained everything in an another post I found
when scrolling down
But are there something to add you´re welcome.

Peter
Old 11-28-2007, 09:51 PM

NOPE...

Quote:
FROM DIGI WEBSITE: In addition to support for up to 16 channels of analog and digital input and output, 192 I/O features a wide range of analog and digital I/O options to choose from , including 8 channels of high-definition, pristine-quality analog I/O, 8 channels of AES/EBU, 8 channels of TDIF, 16 channels of ADAT, and 2 additional channels of AES/EBU or S/PDIF digital I/O.

8 analog in on one card
8 Analog out on the card below it
8 digital In and OUT on a card
or
8 ANALOG OUT on a CARD
8 ANALOG IN on a CARD

The UNIT is 16 I/O only. The ADAT is if you choose to use all ADAT in/out.

My 192 has the Analog In and Out and the Digital Card for 8 channels of digital stuff.

If I were you ad was getting a TOFT board (I looked into that option too) I would get a pair of Apogee A/D-16x's and the X-HD card. (32 channels of IN) Makes life easy on you. If you are planning to track with the board, use the best A/D you can get and get that into the box. The AD-16 is a fantastic unit and has the BIG BEN built into it which is FAR better than the clock on the 192's. Think about long term on it all and get the best part of digital right with conversion. Then if you decide to MIX out of the box, pick up a D/A 16X and go out 24 or 32 channels to MIX thru the board.

Just my thoughts.

Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 11-29-2007, 01:24 PM

Hi Inteldoc!
Thank´s for answering.
So,this X-HD card, fits into the 192 I/O exp.slot and the A/D-16x's into the X-HD?
Am I getting this right?
And with the ones from the 192 I will get 40 in´s, or?

Have not worked with so much hardware so I have to learn what work´s with what and not.
So I´m putting a setup up in my head,for the moment, not with my ears or knowleadge.

The first thing I really want is to be able to record at least a normal sized band
using a good mix console (analog) and after that have the best A/D hardware I can get for
a reason amount of money.
Since I´m planning to do this a lot I´m also planning to buy a C24 for mixing. I´m pretty
tired of "mousing" around. I think it would be hard to only mix through a regular mix desk.
We all want total recall, don´t we?

Well,this is what I´m reaching for anyway. For now I use a 002rack with PTLE 7.3 and have two
UAD solo preamp´s, one of each, that I think sounds very nice. Just bought me a Neumann TLM49
and som other mic´s. All running on an ACER 9500 laptop wich works wonderful with PT.

Peter
Old 12-01-2007, 01:50 PM

Actually, if you bought 2 Apogee A/D 16X units, you would still need 2 D/A 16X units to get into your mixing console for 32 in/out. That would be 4 Apogee units & 4 (Apogee) X-HD cards, pretty expensive. Another option would be the Lynx Aurora 16s which have 16 A/D & 16 D/A in one unit. You would also only need 1 Lynx Pro Tools card per unit. Both of these units plug directly into your HD card in your computer.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:40 PM

Yes, it seems like I get more for the money with the Aurora. Have emailed the company here in
Sweden to get some info and prices. There are difference´s in prices I must say.

The backside, as I have experienced it, is that GOOD equipment cost and cost a lot.
As I don´t know anything about nor Appogee or Lynx I keep my mouth shut and my ears open
The best (for me) will get my money and if it is the most expensive it will be so.

RME, by the way, is it a good option in this case? Maybe it does´nt work with PT?

I really preciate all comments here and it will help me to get the right gear in the end.

Thank´s!

Peter