Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2017, 02:13 PM

Default Routing Question

Hey guys,

Got a question about routing.
I have all my tracks and auxes and what not routed to an aux call PRINT I do all my 2 bus processing there.
Print goes out into another aux I call WRITE which I use to record the whole mix onto a track.
And then I have my usual master fader.

For some reason both PRINT and WRITE peak a -0.1 which is the ceiling on my limiter, yet my master fader goes over up to around 3 at some point. I have attached a screenshot from my buses.

FWIW my session is a 48k which I read somewhere might cause the overs which makes absolutely no sense to me.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 4.03.26 PM.jpg (49.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-30-2017, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Routing Question

Something else might be outputting to Mon 1-2. When you mute the WRITE aux, is there still meter movement on Master 1?
Old 11-30-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverbHead View Post
Hey guys,

Got a question about routing.
I have all my tracks and auxes and what not routed to an aux call PRINT I do all my 2 bus processing there.
Print goes out into another aux I call WRITE which I use to record the whole mix onto a track.
And then I have my usual master fader.

For some reason both PRINT and WRITE peak a -0.1 which is the ceiling on my limiter, yet my master fader goes over up to around 3 at some point. I have attached a screenshot from my buses.

FWIW my session is a 48k which I read somewhere might cause the overs which makes absolutely no sense to me.

Thanks
You could uncomplicate things, dropping that second aux and master fader and go right from your first 2-bus aux to the audio track.

Any particular reason you have PROQ2 and PRO-L on the second bank of inserts? Why not just put them right after whatever 'track control' plugin is. Why do you have two of the same plugin? Have you tried using oversampling on the PRO-L? The usual sequence I use on my 2-bus aux is an compressor, limiter, and metering plugin. If I need an eq I put it after the compressor that way the comp isn't fighting the eq changes.

edit for additional:
What level is your master fader set to?

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 11-30-2017 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhoof View Post
Something else might be outputting to Mon 1-2. When you mute the WRITE aux, is there still meter movement on Master 1?
Bingo!!
I swear I clicked on "Select assignments to Mon 1-2" and double checked a million times before posting here, but oh well..., thanks to your post I pulled up the session again and found there was one track still routed to Mon 1-2...

Thanks again!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
You could uncomplicate things, dropping that second aux and master fader and go right from your first 2-bus aux to the audio track.

Any particular reason you have PROQ2 and PRO-L on the second bank of inserts? Why not just put them right after whatever 'track control' plugin is. Why do you have two of the same plugin? Have you tried using oversampling on the PRO-L? The usual sequence I use on my 2-bus aux is an compressor, limiter, and metering plugin. If I need an eq I put it after the compressor that way the comp isn't fighting the eq changes.

edit for additional:
What level is your master fader set to?
Hey Music Man thanks for the reply!

Quote:
Any particular reason you have PROQ2 and PRO-L on the second bank of inserts?
I have not started mixing per se, I'm leaving the blank slots for whatever processing I might need along the way, I'm certain Pro L will be the last plugin on my chain and the last instance of ProQ is just for display purposes or narrowing on things using the band solo function, I find it faster than browsing through 70 tracks trying to find out whats resonating at 2.5 k for instance, this is just my way of doing things and I'm used to having it there, I could live without it though.

The last slot I always use for loudness metering which I hadn't inserted yet.

Quote:
Why do you have two of the same plugin?
By doing this it allows me to control click on the first one and Mono my mix on the fly, I do a lot of my balancing and EQ in mono. The second one is set to the opposite, just plays back the sides of my mix, or L or R by themselves It is just faster for me.

Thanks guys this is now solved!!