How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 09-10-2021, 09:42 AM

Default Re: Reason 12 Has Been Released

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
The only RE I really want is Friktion and I don't know if that will run on R8.3. Other than that after an honest run through of what I have I find the sounds in Reason a bit tired especially as compared to what we have these days.

Did you try using the players on other VI's like I outlined above?

Old 09-10-2021, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Did you try using the players on other VI's like I outlined above?
I only have R8.3 and it doesn't have players. I have an allergy to players/arpegiattors/sequencers anyways - I play things in live. If that creates something I like I'll just copy/paste it as many times as I want if I don't want to play in for the whole tune. And if the sounds are tired a player isn't going to make it sound better.

Like I said the one thing I really wanted was Friktion as it's a reasonable cost alternative to AAS stuff. Sad to say AAS's String Studio has really changed from the original. Chromaphone 3 might fit the bill but it ain't cheap. $199 for Chromaphone 3 itself and $389 for the synth and the 15 expansion packs and 2800+ presets (1100+ for the bare synth).

I'm in touch with Reason support and got an email back saying that indeed there is no opting out of sending user data. I wrote back asking why they removed that option when it was in R11 and earlier.

QAPLA!
Old 09-10-2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I only have R8.3 and it doesn't have players. I have an allergy to players/arpegiattors/sequencers anyways - I play things in live. If that creates something I like I'll just copy/paste it as many times as I want if I don't want to play in for the whole tune. And if the sounds are tired a player isn't going to make it sound better.

I understand that, and most of the time I do that too. I have good enough knowledge of music theory that I can usually write multiple parts from scratch.

Having said that, I do find that with the players I can focus on something much different. Rather than focusing on creating a particular melody, or counter-melody, or bass line, or even an arp'd chord, or other, I can focus instead on creating an algorithm that will produce interesting and often useful results that might generate new ideas and directions. I find it takes as much application of music theory to create the algorithm as it does to write a line. You're just applying it differently. So, I've become a fan of players for that reason. Also, players can generate subtle (or even not so subtle) variations on themes I've written from scratch and take them in new directions I wouldn't have thought of.

So, more and more, my compositions are a combination of lines I write from scratch coupled with others I created with players. Its just how I've come to work and enjoy making music these days.

However, it is interesting that for those scoring jobs I was hired and paid to do, I didn't use players at all. Every note came out of my head...other than some percussion loops I used.

Old 09-10-2021, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
I understand that, and most of the time I do that too. I have good enough knowledge of music theory that I can usually write multiple parts from scratch.

Having said that, I do find that with the players I can focus on something much different. Rather than focusing on creating a particular melody, or counter-melody, or bass line, or even an arp'd chord, or other, I can focus instead on creating an algorithm that will produce interesting and often useful results that might generate new ideas and directions. I find it takes as much application of music theory to create the algorithm as it does to write a line. You're just applying it differently. So, I've become a fan of players for that reason. Also, players can generate subtle (or even not so subtle) variations on themes I've written from scratch and take them in new directions I wouldn't have thought of.

So, more and more, my compositions are a combination of lines I write from scratch coupled with others I created with players. Its just how I've come to work and enjoy making music these days.

However, it is interesting that for those scoring jobs I was hired and paid to do, I didn't use players at all. Every note came out of my head...other than some percussion loops I used.
For the stuff I do for myself I'm quite organic. I don't go in for a specific theme but call up a sound and play around with it and sometimes I'll come up with something interesting. I've learned to have PT recording when I do that. I guess what I'm saying is I let the sound inspire me and let my fingers follow their muse. While being well-versed in music theory I don't let it stand in the way of making music. Breaking the 'rules' one might say.

Now the stuff I do for others I usually get the thing of 'in the style of'. Mostly what I'm known for is Wendy Carlos type stuff/sounds. Got a number of vi's that she used the hardware versions of so I can get her sound no problem. Not that I can't go full orchestral if needs be.

Getting back to the organic bit. Was playing around with a bit of a tinkly sound and just letting my fingers have at it. Repetitious pattern. Then it hit the grey matter - House MD theme - Teardrop. Changed the sound to a piano. Then I did the bass line. Then the drums. Lastly the lead line. All from noodling around late one night and having had a bit of Mr. Daniels to set the mood. Is it finished? By no means. Just a work in progress.

QAPLA!
Old 09-10-2021, 02:03 PM

The racks players can control outside midi vi’s
The Racks ability to use both audio in out and midi in out is what rewire never had.
Reasons vocoder is nice, rhythmic reverbs nice as well.
$129 for perpetual upgrade (from most previous versions) has been this for quite a while. The new resize rack zoom is also nice.
Obviously I like Reason 12 rack and the offline track exporting from standalone.
T
Old 09-10-2021, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
The racks players can control outside midi vi’s
The Racks ability to use both audio in out and midi in out is what rewire never had.
Reasons vocoder is nice, rhythmic reverbs nice as well.
$129 for perpetual upgrade (from most previous versions) has been this for quite a while. The new resize rack zoom is also nice.
Obviously I like Reason 12 rack and the offline track exporting from standalone.
T
But how are you with not being able to opt out of data/usage sharing?

QAPLA!
Old 09-10-2021, 04:10 PM

My network security.
Software user feedback is fine. Back to choice is fine too.
The creative tool That it is, outweighs the bother.
Old 09-10-2021, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
My network security.
Software user feedback is fine. Back to choice is fine too.
The creative tool That it is, outweighs the bother.
Doesn't outweigh the bother for me. No one needs to know how I use th eir product.

QAPLA!