Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2016, 07:44 PM

Default Pro Tools Collaboration feature is something we'll look back at and laugh....

So, I've been working on a project for a few months testing the 'Collaboration' feature that was to be the 'holy grail' of PT's 12. To say the least, this is one of the biggest waste of resources I have ever been exposed to as a customer.

I run a system that, for my purposes, gives the illusion that it is bullet proof. It is this reason that I reached out to the community to try to do a project via the new feature. The first thing that became apparent is that if you intend on doing a full 'live instrument' project on what Avid provides for free...forget it! In the beginning of the trial I did all my drum takes (8 tracks) into the cloud with only a stereo stem of the mix with no drums. Three takes took up the entirety of the space provided.

To this we adapted, saving the mix or stems as a session, working on it locally until the final takes got approval (via committing the drum buss and only uploading that to the cloud). The project owner then had to purchase more space in order to upload to takes of 8 track 24/48 drums.

After thinking that we beat the system and were off to the races the next hurdle appeared. Once beginning the second song using what we learned after the first; two of the collaborators were unable to upload tracks. Full disk repairs, prefs trashes, reboots did not solve the problem. The result in order to maintain fluidity in the project was to use the FREE space available on Dropbox to transfer files (a method that I've used to complete two EP's with artists and mix engineers across the country).

This resulted in a second change to our workflow in which that only mix stems were uploaded to the cloud, they would be downloaded and saved as a session locally and worked on that way. Again feeling like we had beaten the bag of crap coding sold as a marketing scheme I've attempted to move on to the third song.

I'm now 3 hours into just simply trying to sign in and being plagued with a blank sign in screen, no connections and the like. Being a new father with a finite amount of time for recording. I value my ability to be able to record when creativity strikes; especially when I'm asked to do so by someone else on their project. They have expectations of me to deliver, and when time zones get involved the ability to troubleshoot goes out the window.

This is more of a story that I feel may not be suitable for this thread, and I'm not looking for solutions to my problem. Those of you that know me here, know that I am always open to ask for help. This is more of a statement to confirm what all of us thought...that years (maybe even next year) we'll look back at this collaboration feature and laugh! Just like we do with Mini discs, key-tars, and egg cartons for acoustic treatment.

Here are some screen shots of tonights wasted creativity! Thanks Avid! You guys are swell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 5.39.26 PM.jpg (63.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 7.13.15 PM.jpg (63.5 KB, 0 views)
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 12-01-2016, 08:27 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Collaboration feature is something we'll look back at and laugh....

I've never tried it....

I bet there are people who look at how much traffic this feature does/doesn't receive.....I would like to know...I bet it's shocking
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:00 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Collaboration feature is something we'll look back at and laugh....

I have a Samsung smartphone, just for that my Dropbox was expanded to 50gb free, that's even better than Wetransfer. I record guitars online for an amount of producers, so far none of them has asked about using the cloud collaboration I have listed on my website.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:41 PM

I recently started using it with a friend. I like it! Of course it's not perfect, fe i'd like to get push notifications (or a simple mail) even when PT is closed when another one has changed something in the session/project.
MacBook Pro i7 Quad 2.6GHz 16GB RAM
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block

tons of stomp boxes
tube amps
guitars
noise
Old 12-02-2016, 02:25 AM

I don't use it, so for me it doesn't offer any value. My guess it that the percentage of PT users who do is very small, and the ones who pay for the service is much smaller still. But for the ones who use it, I'm sure it's useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_daw View Post
So, I've been working on a project for a few months testing the 'Collaboration' feature that was to be the 'holy grail' of PT's 12. To say the least, this is one of the biggest waste of resources I have ever been exposed to as a customer.

I run a system that, for my purposes, gives the illusion that it is bullet proof. It is this reason that I reached out to the community to try to do a project via the new feature. The first thing that became apparent is that if you intend on doing a full 'live instrument' project on what Avid provides for free...forget it! In the beginning of the trial I did all my drum takes (8 tracks) into the cloud with only a stereo stem of the mix with no drums. Three takes took up the entirety of the space provided.

To this we adapted, saving the mix or stems as a session, working on it locally until the final takes got approval (via committing the drum buss and only uploading that to the cloud). The project owner then had to purchase more space in order to upload to takes of 8 track 24/48 drums.

After thinking that we beat the system and were off to the races the next hurdle appeared. Once beginning the second song using what we learned after the first; two of the collaborators were unable to upload tracks. Full disk repairs, prefs trashes, reboots did not solve the problem. The result in order to maintain fluidity in the project was to use the FREE space available on Dropbox to transfer files (a method that I've used to complete two EP's with artists and mix engineers across the country).

This resulted in a second change to our workflow in which that only mix stems were uploaded to the cloud, they would be downloaded and saved as a session locally and worked on that way. Again feeling like we had beaten the bag of crap coding sold as a marketing scheme I've attempted to move on to the third song.

I'm now 3 hours into just simply trying to sign in and being plagued with a blank sign in screen, no connections and the like. Being a new father with a finite amount of time for recording. I value my ability to be able to record when creativity strikes; especially when I'm asked to do so by someone else on their project. They have expectations of me to deliver, and when time zones get involved the ability to troubleshoot goes out the window.

This is more of a story that I feel may not be suitable for this thread, and I'm not looking for solutions to my problem. Those of you that know me here, know that I am always open to ask for help. This is more of a statement to confirm what all of us thought...that years (maybe even next year) we'll look back at this collaboration feature and laugh! Just like we do with Mini discs, key-tars, and egg cartons for acoustic treatment.

Here are some screen shots of tonights wasted creativity! Thanks Avid! You guys are swell.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
I don't use it, so for me it doesn't offer any value. My guess it that the percentage of PT users who do is very small, and the ones who pay for the service is much smaller still. But for the ones who use it, I'm sure it's useful.
Imho Avid should focus on what benefits MOST of their users, not wasting resources catering to a select few, whilst abandoning work on vital things. Like - you know - fixing stuff.
I wonder how much better PT12 would be by now if they hadn't been working on CC.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 12-02-2016, 03:58 AM

I came across an article the other day that said that Avid have over 50k paid subscribers for their cloud. That's way more than I would have guessed.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlemos View Post
I came across an article the other day that said that Avid have over 50k paid subscribers for their cloud. That's way more than I would have guessed.

Interesting!
May i have a link of this article please?
MacBook Pro i7 Quad 2.6GHz 16GB RAM
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block

tons of stomp boxes
tube amps
guitars
noise
Old 12-02-2016, 04:35 AM

Yeah 50k is more than I would have expected as well
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlemos View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by clausiii View Post
Interesting!
May i have a link of this article please?
If you google "avid 50000 cloud subscribers" you'll see a bunch of articles that say "The company now has over 50,000 cloud-enabled paying subscribers and 40,000 enterprise users of Avid's MediaCentral platform." That does NOT necessarily mean they're paying for or even using the cloud service. I read it to mean that they're subscribed to an upgrade and/or support plan, which includes a few crumbs of cloud storage.