Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 11-11-2021, 07:56 AM

Default Re: MacBook Pro M1 MAX - Pro Tools Performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
If you've got a session you want me to try, I can compare:

Mac Pro 7.1 16-core 48GB on 10.15.7
with
16" MBP M1 Max 10/32 with 64GB on 12.0.1

I have RME Babyface and Avid Carbon. PT Std and PT Ultimate
So far in my PT tests, they both run about the same, but something (probably Monterey) fouls up the Avid Complete Bundle plugins, and I've had to take them all out.

I'm using PT 2021.10 on both but can try 2021.3 or .7 if you prefer.

You can't calculate the loss of Rosetta vs Native for PT, because you can only run under Rosetta on M1. And you can only run as Intel native on Intel.

Logic (which is of course native on the M1 Max) runs about the same number of channels at minimum buffer size on both platforms.

Dominic
Hey Dom, that sounds great much appreciated. Mac OS teething troubles aside, do you feel you can run the MBP under Rosetta and get a similar level of performance for mixing, to the 7,1 16 Core MP?

I have a very simple benchmark Pro Tools session where I have got a Softube Console 1 (K series SSL), Fabfilter Pro-Q 3, Fabilter Pro-C2, Waves Abbey Road Plates, Izotope Ozone 9 and Fabfilter Pro-L 2 across every track.

Perhaps you have the same plugins, or I can make an alternative session with the plugins that you do have?
Old 11-11-2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
Hey Dom, that sounds great much appreciated. Mac OS teething troubles aside, do you feel you can run the MBP under Rosetta and get a similar level of performance for mixing, to the 7,1 16 Core MP?

I have a very simple benchmark Pro Tools session where I have got a Softube Console 1 (K series SSL), Fabfilter Pro-Q 3, Fabilter Pro-C2, Waves Abbey Road Plates, Izotope Ozone 9 and Fabfilter Pro-L 2 across every track.

Perhaps you have the same plugins, or I can make an alternative session with the plugins that you do have?
I use stock Avid plugs and UAD stuff - which is obviously on DSP - so i don't own any of the things you've listed. But to answer your first question, yes, the CPU used in mixing seems about the same. At the lowest buffers the M1 Max CPU meter in pro tools keeps glitching up to 100% and going red, but the actual base level of processing is about the same on the two platforms - about 30% for the demo song.
Old 11-11-2021, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
I use stock Avid plugs and UAD stuff - which is obviously on DSP - so i don't own any of the things you've listed. But to answer your first question, yes, the CPU used in mixing seems about the same. At the lowest buffers the M1 Max CPU meter in pro tools keeps glitching up to 100% and going red, but the actual base level of processing is about the same on the two platforms - about 30% for the demo song.
Ah okay, no worries then - thanks for the info. Enjoy!
Old 11-12-2021, 10:51 AM

hey all
i do a lot of heavy duty mixing with all the plugins (and more) that OP is asking about. i just bought an M1 Max. i can report that although the CPU is amazing and efficient, the plugins do not all like to be in rosetta and i experienced a lot of crashing.

if you are a professional, i would strongly advise to NOT try this. i am returning the M1 Max and bought a used 2019 i9 16 inch.

i definitely do not recommend running professional, on the clock, sessions from an M1 or later until both pro tools AND the 3rd party plugins fully certify.

i had a lot of weird bugs, some of which were very very scary (uad plugins loading, seeing the UAD device, but passing only dry audio, for example)

hope that helps
Old 11-17-2021, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pweinrobe View Post
hey all
i do a lot of heavy duty mixing with all the plugins (and more) that OP is asking about. i just bought an M1 Max. i can report that although the CPU is amazing and efficient, the plugins do not all like to be in rosetta and i experienced a lot of crashing.

if you are a professional, i would strongly advise to NOT try this. i am returning the M1 Max and bought a used 2019 i9 16 inch.

i definitely do not recommend running professional, on the clock, sessions from an M1 or later until both pro tools AND the 3rd party plugins fully certify.

i had a lot of weird bugs, some of which were very very scary (uad plugins loading, seeing the UAD device, but passing only dry audio, for example)

hope that helps
Thanks for the report!
Old 11-17-2021, 06:29 AM

Quote:
hey all

hope that helps
This is due to Monterey, not the M1 Max. Pro Tools runs fine on an M1 machine on Big Sur
Old 11-17-2021, 09:18 AM

What is unclear , is how much iLok actually factors into this.... As I understand it iLok does not run natively on Apple silicon and requires Rosetta . So I am wondering if iLok is not the actual problem and if Pace would get it working natively on Apple silicon then Apple the OS's might just run natively and many issue would go away ???????????????

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 11-18-2021, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
This is due to Monterey, not the M1 Max. Pro Tools runs fine on an M1 machine on Big Sur
this may be true, but there is no way to run Big Sur on an M1 Max. so Monterey and M1 Max are essentially married. you can't downgrade an M1 Max machine to Big Sur. If anyone has successfully done it, please post steps! i tried all the things
Old 11-18-2021, 06:21 AM

Quote:
this may be true, but there is no way to run Big Sur on an M1 Max. so Monterey and M1 Max are essentially married. you can't downgrade an M1 Max machine to Big Sur. If anyone has successfully done it, please post steps! i tried all the things
Not possible unless you have Alpha build available.
Old 11-21-2021, 01:31 PM

I find it strange that Apple would effectively shut out the majority of the professional music community.
Simply allowing for rollback to Big Sur is all that would be needed to bridge the gap.