Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-11-2010, 12:20 PM

Default Avid aquire Euphonix...more control surfaces

Comprehensive range of audio and video control surfaces and consoles expands Avid portfolio to provide seamless interoperability across broad spectrum of third-party solutions for every customer

LAS VEGAS, NV, April 11, 2010 NAB (Booth #SU902) – Avid® (NASDAQ: AVID) today announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Mountain View, CA-based Euphonix, a leader in large-format digital audio consoles, media controllers and peripherals. With the acquisition, Avid will deliver a broad range of audio and video control surfaces and consoles designed to meet the needs of customers ranging from the independent professional to the high-end broadcaster. Avid plans to continue to support and sell both Euphonix control surfaces and Avid’s existing ICON solution, enabling customers to leverage existing investments in industry-leading hardware.
“This acquisition greatly expands our portfolio to offer customers a complementary set of workflow solutions–from independent producers creating music in their home studios to broadcasters preparing segments for national broadcast,” said Gary Greenfield, chairman and CEO, Avid. “We remain committed to driving interoperability and modularity across a vast ecosystem of Avid and third-party creative hardware and software solutions. And, as audio and video workflows continue to converge, we are now well positioned to deliver control surfaces that work across both audio and video applications, making the content creation process more cost-effective and efficient for our customers.”
Avid plans to further develop an open standard protocol that greatly expands the ecosystem of compatibility between the Euphonix control surfaces and a wide range of Avid and third-party audio and video applications, including Media Composer and Pro Tools. For existing Euphonix customers, Avid will continue to support EuCon– the Euphonix high-speed Ethernet protocol that enables its control surfaces to interface with third-party software.
The transaction is expected to close at the end of April.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:11 PM

Default Re: Avid aquire Euphonix...more control surfaces

Wow. Anyone else excited?!!

Avid does that mean there's a chance to bringing the euphonix controllers to the windows platform finally??
Old 04-11-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgizmo View Post
Wow. Anyone else excited?!!

Avid does that mean there's a chance to bringing the euphonix controllers to the windows platform finally??

Or they are going to ditch Windows

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-11-2010, 03:55 PM

Will this replace the Command 8 after all these years?

Looks like they will be - and also looks interesting when you think about what's yet to come - like a 004 and less expensive controllers (and modular) for everyone, it would seem!

I imagine Apple are not best pleased at losing a Power Trio partner for Logic!
Old 04-11-2010, 04:11 PM

I think a reality check is needed here. Who ever said company buyouts = cheaper hardware? Those little Euphonix controllers were NOT cheap nor has anything Digi makes is!? C'mon.
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Ableton Live 10/Presonus Studio 3
Old 04-11-2010, 04:50 PM

Either is really really good news, as I'll be able to use my MC Mix with EuCon in Pro Tools finally... or really really bad news, and my MC Mix will end up a paperweight with no support...

Of course, Digi (er... Avid) ALWAYS seems to do the right thing for the customer, so I have high hope...
Old 04-11-2010, 05:18 PM

I am not happy about this. They better support it.

www.studiofifty.net

Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz Quad, 10.6.6, 12GB Ram, PT9, Logic 9, Kontakt, East West, VSL, Waves, Sound Toys, IK Multimedia
RME FF UC, Focusrite Octopre mkii, UA LA 610 mkii, MC Transport, Yamaha HS80M, Lauten, AKG, Sure, Blue
Old 04-11-2010, 06:42 PM

Just another distraction from the Protools issues that need to be addressed by AVID. Sorry guys, I see no indication that AVID will give PT the attention it needs..
Old 04-11-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post
Just another distraction from the Protools issues that need to be addressed by AVID. Sorry guys, I see no indication that AVID will give PT the attention it needs..
+1

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-12-2010, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothboy View Post
I think a reality check is needed here. Who ever said company buyouts = cheaper hardware? Those little Euphonix controllers were NOT cheap nor has anything Digi makes is!? C'mon.
Not what I meant. if you compare the cost of a C24 or ICON, then the Euphonix controllers are cheap for what they offer. If AVID use them to design a Command 8, then I imagine they may keep the 004 a modular offering, as a rack and controller rather than a combined device like the 003, thus making it less expensive as it can be purchased as funds allow and if it's modular and expandable, you don't then need to look at replacing your 004 with a C24 just to get more and more channels of control.

Yes, it doesn't offer it for cheap, but at least it would be cheaper than some solutions.