Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-08-2007, 10:59 AM
Avid

Default Re: UNINSTALLED AND INSTALLED PRO TOOLS 7.0 AND IT WON\'T LAU

Quote:
I'm having the same problem. Protools was quitting on me alot. I went on digi's website and installed the latest update. It didn't really fix anything, I was still experiencing the unexpected quits. Then, today, Protools won't even launch. I click on it in the dock and the startup window appears but, there's nothing happening in the progress bar & I get the dreaded spinning beachball. I go to force quit and it shows PT not responding. I ran the prebind app and it said no repairs were necessary.
I'm on a G4 dual 1.42, 2GBram, Mbox, OSX.4.10
Please start with the steps in the OS X Setup and General Troubleshooting sticky at the top of this forum, specifically those areas on trashing preference and database files.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:40 PM

I installed the OSX update and all is well, thanks.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:09 PM

Hi,

I've just started getting a similiar problem.

Dual 2.3 GHz Power Mac G5 (PPC)
OS X 10.4.10 (which I've been using since it was released without issue)

I've installed nothing new to the program, but today PT 7.3 will not launch. I received no errors or unexpected quits prior to this; it simply bounces in the dock -- without the black triangle underneath -- then the bounce ends with no error message at all. I've since tried installing the latest cs4 to no avail.

I've combed through the previous entries and suggestions, but nothing seems to work: reset permissions; full uninstall/re-install; pre-binding from PACE (said not necessary); removed pref files; used Troubleshoot Utility to remove database files; removed all Airport, Bluetooth, externals, etc.; removed login items; adjusted energy saver to never...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

RP
Old 08-10-2007, 10:31 AM

Definitely try the fix that I used... Download from here and install and run the prebinding script.

that worked like a charm...
PT 8cs3
HD 2 Accel
1 Process Card
UAD quad
PT 8.0.1 cs 1
OSX 10.5.8
Ctrl 24
Old 08-10-2007, 05:38 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, I already tried that and it kept telling me it was not necessary. Very frustrating -- I'm likely going to reformat my system and reinstall PT first to see if anything else caused it. Drastic, I know, but I'm running out of options.

Cheers mate,

RP
Old 08-27-2007, 03:47 AM

I've just joined the club... TWICE.
I have two system now totally usless right out of the blue.

Dual 1.8 GHz Power Mac G4, 1gig RAM
ProTools LE 7.3.1cs4

Powerbook 1Ghz, 2 gig RAM
ProTools LE 7.3.1cs4

I've installed nothing new to the either machine, but over the past month PT 7.3 will not launch on either machine - so much for having a backup system. Upon launching ProTools, the icon just bounces in the dock you quite a while, then the bounce ends with a crash report. I've since tried installing the latest cs4 to no avail. I have run through all listed digi-sanctioned troubleshooting measures listed here and many user suggested ones without success. I've used the troubleshooting utility to remove database files, trashed all prefs, turned off airport and bluetooth, reset permissions, forced prebinding in the terminal, completed a full uninstall, reinstalled from the 7.0 CD, ran the PACE pre-binding utility, which stated that prebinding was not necessary, generally stripped external drives, mice, controllers to the basics, ran applejack

I cant get ANY work done, and this whole thing is beginning to feel like a house of cards to me. I've been using ProTools since 3.2, and this recent flakiness has really shattered my confidence in being able to deliver my work on time, if keeping TWO systems is not enough of a guarantee of a measure of safety.

I have installed 10.4 on a external drive, and have had limited success as far as stability goes, so I'm really stumped as to what is going on here.

Does anyone have ANY suggestions beyond what I have already tried - besides buying a new system?

TIA

Ed

2022 Mac Studio Max 64GB / 1TB, macOSX 13.6.5, 2019 i9 MacBook Pro (15,3), macOSX 14.4, PT Ulti 2024.3.0, DAR 5.1, MDA Creator1.5, Rx10 Advanced, Ozone 10 Advanced, Kontakt 7, Soundminer v6Pro, Spanner 3, PaulXStretch,
EuControl 2023.11.0, Avid Control 2023.11.0, Avid S1, iPad Pros 12.9" gen 3 & gen 4, Apollo 8 Duo, UAD-2 Satellite Quad, Glyph 2TB tb3 NVMe SSD, x2 Glyph 2TB SSDs, x1 Glyph 4TB SSD, OWC tb3 Dock, OWC Thunderbay 8 62TB
Old 08-27-2007, 07:03 AM

Definitely try this fix... Download and Install the prbinding script by clicking here...
PT 8cs3
HD 2 Accel
1 Process Card
UAD quad
PT 8.0.1 cs 1
OSX 10.5.8
Ctrl 24
Old 08-28-2007, 07:03 AM

I have the same problem since weeks. Did everything what is described and suggested but there is no use.
I bought an MBox 2 Pro with PT LE 7.3 sw but after installing the sw I can't launch it. The PT LE logo appears for a sec, then immediately comes the message " PT unexpectedly quit" and that is all.
The MacBook is 2G/2GB RAM 60GB HD. I have tried to do this process on OS 10.4.8 combo intel and 10.4.9 combo intel too, but there is always the same.
Now I try an intact 10.4.8 combo only with PT sw, but nothing has changed.
Have somebody a good idea? Digidesign support not has yet!

Thanks,
Istvan:apple:
Old 08-28-2007, 07:32 AM

Problem solved:
I had to re-install OS 10.4 from the install DVD. I chose to do an archive and install, preserving my existing user accounts. I updated straight away to 10.4.10 using the combo updater. Repaired disk permissions. After that, I made sure that Protools was off the machine by running the uninstaller and choosing the clean option. I then ran the 7.3 installer, repaired permissions, updated to 7.3.1, repaired permissions, and finally updated to 7.3.1cs4. Forced prebinding in the terminal, just to be sure.

All seems well now.

I'm still not sure what caused these meltdowns in the first place, but out of this experience, I now have an external emergency drive with 10.4.10 and PTLE 7.3.1cs4 standing by so that I don't miss a deadline again. I guess I should have had that in the first place, but I was running wit only one of two edit systems available, as I am still waiting for a CPU replacement for my main edit rig.

Let's here it for redundancy!!

2022 Mac Studio Max 64GB / 1TB, macOSX 13.6.5, 2019 i9 MacBook Pro (15,3), macOSX 14.4, PT Ulti 2024.3.0, DAR 5.1, MDA Creator1.5, Rx10 Advanced, Ozone 10 Advanced, Kontakt 7, Soundminer v6Pro, Spanner 3, PaulXStretch,
EuControl 2023.11.0, Avid Control 2023.11.0, Avid S1, iPad Pros 12.9" gen 3 & gen 4, Apollo 8 Duo, UAD-2 Satellite Quad, Glyph 2TB tb3 NVMe SSD, x2 Glyph 2TB SSDs, x1 Glyph 4TB SSD, OWC tb3 Dock, OWC Thunderbay 8 62TB
Old 08-28-2007, 09:14 AM
Avid

Quote:
I have the same problem since weeks. Did everything what is described and suggested but there is no use.
I bought an MBox 2 Pro with PT LE 7.3 sw but after installing the sw I can't launch it. The PT LE logo appears for a sec, then immediately comes the message " PT unexpectedly quit" and that is all.
The MacBook is 2G/2GB RAM 60GB HD. I have tried to do this process on OS 10.4.8 combo intel and 10.4.9 combo intel too, but there is always the same.
Now I try an intact 10.4.8 combo only with PT sw, but nothing has changed.
Have somebody a good idea? Digidesign support not has yet!

Thanks,
Istvan:apple:
'Unexpectedly Quit' is usually a corrupted preference file - have you tried trashing preference and database files yet?

Also, did you install any previous version of Pro Tools before installing 7.3?