Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2022, 07:04 PM

Default Trigger finger

Despite my support for certain political things this thread has nothing to do with any of that. Lately I've been having issues with a couple of the fingers on my left (fretting) hand. Keep in mind that I not only play keyboards but also drums and have a certain amount of dexterity (left/right).

Started noticing it when playing guitar and was having some issues with fretting chords/chords. Missing or misplacing notes where I had no issues before. Turns out I have what's called 'trigger finger' problems. Those interested would do better to Google this than for me try to explain it. Suffice it to say it makes playing guitar and other instruments difficult to play with any facility.

There's no physical pain as such but it's frustrating. And at my age (just turned 70 on Sunday) there's not a hell of a lot that can be done. Ask David Crosby about it.

Not looking for sympathy but I just had to get this out there. Some days there's no problems but some days I have troubles getting through riffs I could before. Also being a drummer losing ease of function on either hand.....

Apologies to those who may be disturbed by this.

QAPLA!
Old 02-21-2022, 09:53 PM

Default Re: Trigger finger

If commiserating is verboten, let me just say:
“That sucks, Jack!!”

Rest, exercising your fingers gently and (sometimes) using a Splint seem the most plausible Mayo Clinic answers (I had to Google “Trigger finger”)
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...ent%20position.
I’d add walking around the block daily, especially as Spring’s on its way in your world. Start with the shortest route, then ever-so-gradually increase the size of “the block”. “Steady As She Goes!” and “Easy Does It!”

Do you use a Controller, to minimise “clawing” a Mouse?
For example, a Digidesign Command 8 sells for $120 to $200 in your world – and still works fine with the latest Pro Tools.

Playing drums, keyboards and guitars – they all put the “Repetitive” into R.S.I. – so “occasional short stints” should replace “all night Sessions”, but one glimpse of Rolling Stones Keith’s hands teaches us “where there’s a will, there’s a way!” – coupled with “use it or lose it!”
When friends remind me of “the joys of growing old”, I can’t help but think: “yeah, but it sure is better than the alternative!”

I’m glad I can still tell myself: “You’re Not As Old As You’re Gonna Be!”
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 02-22-2022, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
If commiserating is verboten, let me just say:
“That sucks, Jack!!”

Rest, exercising your fingers gently and (sometimes) using a Splint seem the most plausible Mayo Clinic answers (I had to Google “Trigger finger”)
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...ent%20position.
I’d add walking around the block daily, especially as Spring’s on its way in your world. Start with the shortest route, then ever-so-gradually increase the size of “the block”. “Steady As She Goes!” and “Easy Does It!”

Do you use a Controller, to minimise “clawing” a Mouse?
For example, a Digidesign Command 8 sells for $120 to $200 in your world – and still works fine with the latest Pro Tools.

Playing drums, keyboards and guitars – they all put the “Repetitive” into R.S.I. – so “occasional short stints” should replace “all night Sessions”, but one glimpse of Rolling Stones Keith’s hands teaches us “where there’s a will, there’s a way!” – coupled with “use it or lose it!”
When friends remind me of “the joys of growing old”, I can’t help but think: “yeah, but it sure is better than the alternative!”

I’m glad I can still tell myself: “You’re Not As Old As You’re Gonna Be!”
Thanks for the reply.

I do use a mouse and I switch off hands from right to left. I just have to remember to switch the mouse buttons back and forth as left-handed I have them reversed from working righty. No room for a control surface. The mouse I have fits my hands just right so I don't have a big arch to the fingers and not a whole lot of pressure on them. String bends are out; guess I'll have to play more slide guitar

The biggest pain happens when I first flex the finger. Actually it's not so much pain as it is the popping of the joint. I kind of work the joint with my other hand and that eases things a bit. Wish I could walk around the block but my neighborhood isn't the nicest or safest place in the world.

Yeah - Keith's hands - amazing how he can still play but he adapts quite well.

A wise sage once said: pain is weakness leaving the body. Another said that pain lets you know you're alive.

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 02-22-2022 at 04:39 AM.
Old 02-22-2022, 05:01 AM

My mother had that as well. She was able to get it sorted out with a small day surgury though and hasn't had issues since (about 2 years ago).

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 02-22-2022, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelG View Post
My mother had that as well. She was able to get it sorted out with a small day surgury though and hasn't had issues since (about 2 years ago).

Joel
Hopefully I won't have to have surgery. I deal with it as it comes; like with my arthritis I have good days and not-so-good days.

QAPLA!
Old 02-22-2022, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Hopefully I won't have to have surgery. I deal with it as it comes; like with my arthritis I have good days and not-so-good days.
Hi,
In the last couple of years, I had a couple procedures done on my forearm.
(Not your infirmity, but I became aware of the progress made in arm/hand surgery)
I was dreading it, but it was actually pretty easy.

The surgeon who worked on my arm also did a couple trigger finger repairs on two friends of mine.
Strangely enough, their previous doctors told them they had to live with it.

I would do some Dr. research in your area and see if you can't have someone fix you up.

(I had an arm problem that stopped me from playing the guitar at all, and worse...I couldn't operate the clutch on my motorcycle anymore)
I was told a few years ago that I would have to live with it and do constant PT.
I'm back to 100%.

I understand that each case is different, but I would at least get assessed.
Old 02-22-2022, 07:13 AM

Although Trigger finger surgery has a high success rate, it’s not a guaranteed cure. Please research thoroughly!

Likewise, research “Emu Oil for Arthritis”.

“Emu Ridge” is a highly rated brand of Emu Oil from Kangaroo Island, South Australia. (I have zero connection or financial ties to this brand – I’m just repeating what I’ve heard).

After a decade of driving for up to 600 kms (over 370 miles) a day, for 5 days per week, I met some hard-working farmers who don’t dabble in BS, who swear by Emu Oil.

Memory maps
https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/A...!2d-35.2398829

and

https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/A...!2d-34.2726782
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 02-22-2022, 02:29 PM

I feel your pain! For me, oddly enough, its my picking hand that has gone awry. Starting about 8 years ago, my left hand can write checks that my right hand can't cash

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-22-2022, 06:23 PM

Emu Oil’s expensive … and I clean forgot about this magic Indian balm pain-reliever, called “Iodex” - “relief from different types of musculo-skeletal pains like neck/shoulder pain, back pain, joint pain, sprain, etc.”

(I am not associated in any way with this Iodex, but I’d like you to know: it worked for me, when I really needed it!)

Currently unavailable from Walmart and Amazon, but you can buy Iodex Balm - Fast Pain Relief (45g / 1.55 oz) for $8.73 with Free Shipping from Florida - Get 5% Off with Coupon Code DC5OFF
https://www.desiclik.com/iodex-balm-45g-pr-34913.html

It’s been “a trusted pain relief brand in India for close to 100 years”
https://india-consumer.gsk.com/en-in...ex/iodex-balm/
“Not to be used on deep wounds, puncture wounds, animal bites, or serious burns”

My unsolicited verdict: “Snake Oil, it ain’t!”
Old 02-23-2022, 07:32 AM

About a year ago I had Trigger Finger with the middle finger of both hands at the same time. The doctor recommended exercising them. Found a YT video demonstrating what to do. Followed that and both fingers were back to normal after a week. The condition has never returned.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n