Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Sync X & SYNC HD

Old 10-17-2021, 12:06 PM

Default SyncHD - adding in MTRX; removing HD I/Os

I'm in the research phase of rebuilding our Pro Tools rooms and would like some guidance on the best way to transition from our current build with a Sync HD and 2 HD IOs to just the Sync HD with a MTRX IO that replaces the HD IOs.

Our current setup uses Loop Sync from the Sync HD to the first HD IO, then to the 2nd HD IO and then finally loops back into the Sync HD. Each HD IO also has WC from a Drawmer D-Clock. This same D-Clock feeds the Sync HD. The Sync HD also has Vid Ref and LTC input.

I'm assuming since the MTRX only has WC/VBB in and out, I'd use this for the Loop Sync. Then remove the existing WC cables coming from the Drawmer. Does this configuration work?

Thx in advance,
Scotty D
Old 10-18-2021, 03:59 PM

Default Re: SyncHD - adding in MTRX; removing HD I/Os

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyD View Post
I'm in the research phase of rebuilding our Pro Tools rooms and would like some guidance on the best way to transition from our current build with a Sync HD and 2 HD IOs to just the Sync HD with a MTRX IO that replaces the HD IOs.

Our current setup uses Loop Sync from the Sync HD to the first HD IO, then to the 2nd HD IO and then finally loops back into the Sync HD. Each HD IO also has WC from a Drawmer D-Clock. This same D-Clock feeds the Sync HD. The Sync HD also has Vid Ref and LTC input.

I'm assuming since the MTRX only has WC/VBB in and out, I'd use this for the Loop Sync. Then remove the existing WC cables coming from the Drawmer. Does this configuration work?

Thx in advance,
Scotty D
I would lose the Drawmer, and connect either the WC or Loop Sync output of the Sync HD to the MTRX. In this case (if the Sync HD is always loop master), it won't make any difference, the MTRX can handle base rate WC (which is what Loop Sync effectively is). You need to configure the MTRX clock source appropriately in DADman, too.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
I would lose the Drawmer, and connect either the WC or Loop Sync output of the Sync HD to the MTRX. In this case (if the Sync HD is always loop master), it won't make any difference, the MTRX can handle base rate WC (which is what Loop Sync effectively is). You need to configure the MTRX clock source appropriately in DADman, too.
I think the only reason to keep the Drawmer is because it's tied to our wider facility WC. Does it really matter to maintain this connectivity? Probably not. It's definitely something to consider though.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyD View Post
I think the only reason to keep the Drawmer is because it's tied to our wider facility WC. Does it really matter to maintain this connectivity? Probably not. It's definitely something to consider though.
You could feed it to the WC in of the Sync HD. It all depends on what you're trying to do (indeed you only need the Sync HD for frame-accurate video lock). If you need to receive digital audio from elsewhere in the facility without using SRC then, yes, locking to house WC would make sense. (But you can't simultaneously lock the Sync HD to both external WC and video ref.)