Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2011, 08:00 AM

Default Soundtrack Pro

A long time PT user, I recently started doing some video work and have been using Final Cut Studio. I'm learning to use FCP, Compressor, Motion, Color & curious if it's worth my time to dive into Soundtrack Pro, or just stick with my PT TDM Accel for my audio?
Old 03-13-2011, 08:35 AM

Default Re: Soundtrack Pro

I wouldn't bother with soundtrack pro as it is not very good and pro tools is far better for audio post.

I have FCP and do as much of my basic track-laying on the edit window but then do all my audio dubbing in pro tools via OMF, I then export my final mixes and put them back on the FCP timeline for versioning or re-editing.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:24 AM

I've used logic to mix several projects. While it's nowhere near as good as PT, it worked fine. The eq's and compressors, same as STP, suck and become brittle on a razor's edge. I found logic to be way better than STP to work with and would use it again for the right job.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:08 PM

Keep in mind that you can convert all the sound effects that come with Soundtrack Pro to wav files and then use them in Protools.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:27 PM

Well as people have rightly said, it's not Pro Tools, but for quick jobs where the edit might change in FCP, it's reconforming features are quite handy.

As for the sound effects, they'll work with Pro Tools straight away (they used to any way with Final Cut Studio 2) - but you really wouldn't want to - they're so overused and not particularly great.