Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 06-28-2013, 02:28 PM

Default Please please PLEASE Avid, let us buy the PT11 HD software without the hardware!

Am I the only one feeling like I'm being bullied by Avid into buying IO/OMNI hardware when all I want is the PT11 HD software?

I mean, it obviously runs perfectly fine without the hardware, or there wouldn't be a PT9/10+CPTK to HD11 upgrade option. Or am I wrong?

There's no doubt in my mind the PT team have done an outstanding job rewriting PT 11 from ground up, so I have no issues paying for it what it's worth. But I have no use for the OMNI (or any of the other hardware) any time soon.

Please Avid, invite the competition, let us use our own hardware and let us buy the software only! Or I bet there'll be a hell of a lot of desparate OMNI sellers on eBay from now on, and I really don't want to be one of them.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Please please PLEASE Avid, let us buy the PT11 HD software without the hardware!

It seems they could just so easily charge a bit more than PT + CPTK pricing, and a bit less than Omni and land at a very tidy profitable price for selling PTHD software. But somebody in Avid disagrees, for now anyway.
I've always thought when they killed CPTK there is always the chance they bring something similar to it back, extra voices license purchase or something. Just not giving the whole shebang away. But I honestly they're leaving money on the table by not offering stand-alone software priced just under the cheapest PTHD entrypoint, Omni. Oh well....

"I survived the Great Launch Predicaments of PT11 2013."
Old 06-28-2013, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Please please PLEASE Avid, let us buy the PT11 HD software without the hardware!

I must agree. When I heard the CPTK was going away, I assumed it was a streamline of the product line and the Avid would offer the HD version as a software purchase. All we can do(and SHOULD do) is keep nagging about it.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-28-2013, 03:44 PM

And it's extremely aggressive pricing for new users in post production like my self. Gone is the more entry level friendly LE+CPTK, now we are choosing between PT11 at $699, which is completely useless for post production, and the PT11 HD with Thunderbolt OMNI for $4999! That is one HELL of a jump.

The OMNI is fine. Perhaps the fan is a bit to the noisy end, that's a whole other discussion (litteraly), but it's a damn good piece of hardware in my opinion. The problem is when we have to buy one just because we need some basic software functions like surround tracks, advanced automation, VGA faders, TC...

That's just arrogant.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:31 PM

All of you are right. Even though its a hassle, you can buy the package and sell the hardware and actually save some money end the end as long as you have the capital to invest. A person can actually get PTHD11 for around 650.00 give or take. Sell the HDN card and Omni and keep PTHD 10/11.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 06-28-2013, 04:36 PM

You probably see that a lot of Omni on eBay for sale w/out PTHD because of this.

Avid should run a poll asking "would you pay $3000-$4000" for just HD or something, just to see if they are leaving money on the table here.

"I survived the Great Launch Predicaments of PT11 2013."
Old 06-29-2013, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserpathos View Post
Avid should run a poll asking "would you pay $3000-$4000" for just HD or something, just to see if they are leaving money on the table here.
Well I guess they are. There are plenty of PT7 licenses for sale on eBay and there is a upgrade from any prior version product available. So with the free 10->11 upgrade you could buy your HD11 for well under 3000.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Well I guess they are. There are plenty of PT7 licenses for sale on eBay and there is a upgrade from any prior version product available. So with the free 10->11 upgrade you could buy your HD11 for well under 3000.
Well, yes, there are workarounds. There's also buying CPTK from eBay and upgrading from LE, but there are only so many used PT7 HDs and CPTKs out there.

But that is really not the point. I'm a faithful and honest PT user who wants to pay for this excellent software, and I shouldn't have to go through eBay to be allowed to do so.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:33 AM

Have you seen great offer for HD/N PCIe + OMNI in 4Sound Copenhagen - 5000 kr. cheaper than usual price whole June? Offer ends tomorrow.
AVID HD Native PCIe + HD OMNI; Digidesign 192 I/O (2x) & 96 I/O; Icon QCON Pro & QCON EX; Softube Console 1; NI Kontrol 25; Arturia SparkLE; UAD-2 Satellite DUO; UAD-2 PCIe DUO; Tascam DA-3000; TK Audio BC1-S; Warm Audio WA76; SSL XLogic Alpha Channel (x2); SSL X-PATCH; Lindell Audio 6X-500, 7X-500 & PEX-500 (all x2), lots of TCE & Lexicon reverbs; VintageMaker LittleOne 16/2 Summing Mixer; MUTEC MC3+ SmartClock; Mac Pro (2009) 8 Core 2.26; 24 Gb RAM; Pro Tools HD 12.8
Old 06-29-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvalrossen View Post
I'm a faithful and honest PT user who wants to pay for this excellent software, and I shouldn't have to go through eBay to be allowed to do so.
As they say in England -- "You'd be better customer if you ordered more". So, just buy the HD system if you need one

(they also say: "if you think I'm rude, please talk to my manager"...)