Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2011, 11:54 AM

Default Re: BUG: automation doesn´t follow

Another 6 months later....

I am now on a PT9.0.2 system in the middle of a mix of a major intl. production (not if that mattered but...) and I can´t move ANY of my regions from one track to the other without ALL the EQ3 settings being nulled.

This is a MAJOR PITA and costs me VERY expensive hours on stage every day.

AVID, YOU HAVE TO FIX THIS! It has been almost 2 years since I started this thread!

I can´t believe other people actually mix in the box with this happening.

The newest "joke" I encounter is that when I drag a region from one track to the next is that PT gives me a "the plugin isn´t currently automated. do you want to etc. etc." Obviously the plug IS automated. After that I have to hit "no" about 10 times till the message finally disappears and I can undo the move.

How am I supposed to import and move stuff from one session to another one?!
Old 05-09-2011, 12:20 PM

For what its worth Frank.

This happens to me when I would import BG sessions with the REQ 6.

Automation on the EQ would not follow. I'd just end up using the imported tracks.

What is interesting though, EQ's in my dialog sessions were fine.

Definitely alot of weirdness with automation follows edit.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexaudio View Post
F
Automation on the EQ would not follow. I'd just end up using the imported tracks.
If I had to use the imported track for every sound I import I´d have 2000 tracks at the end of the production.
What happens when the next re-cut comes in? We won´t be able to drop into the mixed stems for repairs I guess because none of the EQs will be the same as before?!

This really is a nightmare!
Old 05-09-2011, 01:10 PM

I think this has been mentioned before the issue seems to be copying between RTAS and TDM versions of the same plug in. The issue is compounded by the system sometimes changing the type of plug in when you reopen the session or import tracks. Such that a plug in that was RTAS reverts to the TDM version.

It is easy to reproduce this case.

1- Start with a blank session and add two tracks.
2- on track 1 place any TDM plug in.
3- on track 2 place the same plug in but use the RTAS version (both plug ins must be in the same slot).
4- place some audio onto track 1 and record automation for the plugin.
5- copy the data from track 1 and paste onto track 2.

What you expect to happen is that the audio and automation data will now be on both tracks -this will not be the case -Automation data will not follow from a TDM plugin to a RTAS version or vise versa.

The fix is to ensue you use only one type -but note that if you choose RTAS the system may switch some tracks to TDM after you have reopened the session or imported tracks. -If you get the message 'plug in parameters do not match....' then you have a problem.

NB plug in data can only be copied between matching slots -ie track 1 EQ3 (7band) on slot 1 to track 2 EQ3 (7band) on slot 1 -trying to paste data from track one slot one to track two slot 2 will not work.

Hope this helps

Bruno
Old 05-09-2011, 01:23 PM

This takes years off my life on a daily basis... get you $H!T together AVID... I'd call and complain, but it takes me half a day to get anyone on the phone, and then it's some *****h0le from Sibellius that just takes a message... but that's a whole other problem...

AVID, Frank is doing your job for you, tracking this bug for over 2 years... (thanks btw!)

It is highly reproducible.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBP View Post
I think this has been mentioned before the issue seems to be copying between RTAS and TDM versions of the same plug in. The issue is compounded by the system sometimes changing the type of plug in when you reopen the session or import tracks. Such that a plug in that was RTAS reverts to the TDM version.

It is easy to reproduce this case.

1- Start with a blank session and add two tracks.
2- on track 1 place any TDM plug in.
3- on track 2 place the same plug in but use the RTAS version (both plug ins must be in the same slot).
4- place some audio onto track 1 and record automation for the plugin.
5- copy the data from track 1 and paste onto track 2.

What you expect to happen is that the audio and automation data will now be on both tracks -this will not be the case -Automation data will not follow from a TDM plugin to a RTAS version or vise versa.

The fix is to ensue you use only one type -but note that if you choose RTAS the system may switch some tracks to TDM after you have reopened the session or imported tracks. -If you get the message 'plug in parameters do not match....' then you have a problem.

NB plug in data can only be copied between matching slots -ie track 1 EQ3 (7band) on slot 1 to track 2 EQ3 (7band) on slot 1 -trying to paste data from track one slot one to track two slot 2 will not work.

Hope this helps

Bruno
I think it has more to do with RTAS then it does TDM.

My Master BG session, which my editor cut from, had already been leveled, panned and eq'ed.

It was RTAS REQ 6. Dragging the imported Edited BGs from that master session (which was the same exact layout as my master template) resulted in the EQ automation disappearing.

My only solution was to just use the imported BG session data.

It still doesn't account for why it is doing this.

What you say makes some sense as my dialog predub session was all TDM versions, and everything copied across.

There are 2 other "automation follows edit" bugs as well. The condition is if the breAkpoints are on the very absolute edge of a region.

1) set breakpoints for all plugins for 1 hour
2) highlight a region with a fade
3) set preview
4 ) set EQ
5) punch preview and write to selected

Go down 10 minutes into your session. Your EQ should be flat.

Now extend the fade. Go down 10 minutes into the session. Look at your EQ.
Your EQ is no longer flat at 10 minutes. It is a long glide until the last break point in the session.
Open up one of the EQ parms and watch as you extend the fade, and it blows away the break point.

Number two:

If I remember correctly, this effects volume and plugins.

Go to the center of a region (remember, break points need to be at the very edge of the region)
Split the region.
Pull the region out.
The automation break point does not follow. So if you have a volume at -20 and the break point brings it back up to 0, the point from where you dragged the region out will now be at 0.

Very embarrassing when you have a major executive producer in the room, your doing a music edit and the volume jumps 20 dB.

Luckly, I found this into the 3rd episode of a series.

The only work around I have found for #1, is to select around the region (not the region itself) and punch/fill.

Then the breakpoints will follow, though I have seen a few times when I've been within a few frames of the edge of the region where it still broken the automation point.

Or, don't EQ. LOL. Yeah right.

LEX
Old 05-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Quiet Art Ltd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
After that I have to hit "no" about 10 times till the message finally disappears and I can undo the move.
If it's any consolation, you can hold down option when you click NO in the message window, and that will apply to all parameters.

WaveRider + Defaulter (now with LKFS)
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app
Old 05-09-2011, 04:52 PM

FWIW. I just started running into this bug last week on two different systems (but the same session). 9.0.2 on system 1 and 9.0.0 on system 2. Running TDM plugs only. McDsp G Channel. Moved a region from one track to another and automation did not follow. Very frustrating.

-Richard

www.TakomaMedia.com
Old 05-09-2011, 05:58 PM

Sad that Avid is letting the Pro Tools still veer towards the noob-mesmerizing feature sprawl instead of fixing problems. Whizz bang flashy shiny lighty features attract the moths and their cash.

After seeing this trend for years and years, and that the rest of the world is simply pulling ahead of Avid, I decided to dump all my avid hardware. Just got the RME stuff, and it's solid. I just am waiting for a company to put out a solid DAW, and I'm there.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:31 AM

More bugz! Copy a stereo region to another track (exact same plugs in each stereo track) sometimes "not always but very often" the 5.1 pan automation of the region does not copy. All other automation copies but the positioning of the 5.1 grid does not copy correctly.