Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2008, 08:04 AM

Default Re: Replacing M-Box 1 for FireWire solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomzzzzz View Post

However, when I'm going to work with a 003 rack, I cannot do this anymore, because my Macbook Pro has only 1 FireWire port... let me know what you think!
Why not daisychain from the 003?
Old 08-29-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Miff View Post
Why not daisychain from the 003?

Never thought of that... I only have 1 FireWire device at the moment... to be honest, I didn't even know it was possible... That would maybe then be the solution? Mac -> 003 -> FW HDD, all through FireWire and no more USB [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]...? Or am I being too happy too soon?
Old 09-01-2008, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Can you give me an idea of how many audio tracks you have and which plug-ins you're using, exactly?

It's likely a FW interface will help, but I want to get an idea of how hard you're pushing this first...
Do you already have any thoughts on this matter? I posted the information on the session a few days before. Please let me know what you think of it?

Thank you
Old 09-02-2008, 03:51 PM
Avid

Quote:
Do you already have any thoughts on this matter? I posted the information on the session a few days before. Please let me know what you think of it?

Thank you
It's difficult to say for sure how much improvement you would get, but my casual testing and the fact that you're getting USB based communication errors would seem to indicate you'd do better with a Firewire interface.

I don't know if you have access to one, but testing one of your current sessions with a firewire interface would tell you a lot. You could just bring your laptop into the store, connect it to a firewire interface and fire it up.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:24 PM

If you are going to daisy chain you should run it Mac->FW400->003, that way if you drop connection from the 003, your hard drive will stay connected. If you run it the other way around, when the 003 loses connection it will essentially unplug the hard drive with it, which can kill a HD or corrupt data.
You could also get a express34 card with some FW400 plugs on it.

Hope that helps

Click me...

MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz intel i7, 16GB / OSX 10.10.5 / PT 11.3.2 / UA Apollo
Old 09-02-2008, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
It's difficult to say for sure how much improvement you would get, but my casual testing and the fact that you're getting USB based communication errors would seem to indicate you'd do better with a Firewire interface.

I don't know if you have access to one, but testing one of your current sessions with a firewire interface would tell you a lot. You could just bring your laptop into the store, connect it to a firewire interface and fire it up.
Thanks a lot for the information. No need to install anything else? As long as any of the digidesign products is connected to the computer, protools will start up?

In that case, I'll let you know when I go to the store and try it there!

Thanks everybody for all your input!
Old 09-03-2008, 08:15 AM
Avid

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the information. No need to install anything else? As long as any of the digidesign products is connected to the computer, protools will start up?
You shouldn't need to do anything other than connect the interface. Pro Tools LE supports all LE interfaces with the version you're running...
Old 09-04-2008, 05:39 AM

I've just researched other options on the digidesign website and found the M-Box 2 Pro also uses FireWire... a little cheaper, just as powerful for my needs, which are recording vocals and (electric/acoustic) guitars and saxophones... thanks!