Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2010, 08:53 PM

Default Eleven Rack Hiss when using live

I'm using Eleven Rack as my live, no guitar amp on stage, amp emulator and effects unit. I'm getting quite a bit of hiss coming back to me through the monitors. Last I heard form a punter friend of mine is that the front of house guy has put a gate on my sound out front so my quieter guit tones are cutting in and out through his gate. Before i start a war with the FOH guy does anyone have any tips on how to reduce the hiss? FYI it was the front of house guy's idea that I go ampless in the first place and now he's a whining bitch and not offering any help. If you ask me a little hiss aint spoil the whole show but this guy's anal. Help!
Old 11-28-2010, 09:36 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack Hiss when using live

My experience with the 11R is that certain patches can result in hiss.

In particular, the compressor introduces some hiss (as does a real compressor).

Higher-gain amp models introduce some hiss (as do real high-gain amps).

The tape echo can introduce some hiss with higher settings of the record level control (as does a real tape echo) or with the emulated tape hiss turned on (especially if followed by some amp gain).

You can control your own hiss using the noise gate that's part of every amp model. Set it to your liking and tell the sound guy to turn off his gate.

When you do use the 11R's noise gate, be certain to put echo and reverb after the amp. Otherwise the gate will affect the echo and reverb tails.

On the off chance that none of the above applies, it's possible that you have a gain-staging issue. If the 11R's output level is set too low, your sound guy may be compensating by raising the trim at the board. This will have the undesirable effect of amplifying any residual hiss from the 11R's output stage.

Take a look at the rig output meters on your 11R. They should probably hover right around the middle of the scale, with occasional higher peaks.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:29 PM

Location: Current: Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Hails from: San Francisco

awesome advice above.

to add to that, after getting your levels and noise gate all squared away, you should also try the "ground lift" on the back of the 11R.
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack
Old 11-29-2010, 04:18 AM

And make sure the sound guy has you in a line level and not mike level input at the board.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:08 AM

It is probably the sound guy's input levels as suggested above.

When I first go my 11r everyone out there was saying it sounded awful.. our sound guy had it set wrong... every since then everyone LOVES it!