Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2003, 03:56 PM

Default PT/REASON MIDI

I am trying to record and sequence midi notes in Pro Tools on a DIGI002r system, and have those notes trigger Reason. When I open Reason as a standalone, I can hear what I play just fine. When I have Reason open with Pro Tools, I don't hear any sounds from Reason as I play. I see the midi input light on the DIGI002r light up, and I have the midi track input set to ALL. The output is set to the Reason instrument (BandAid). If I use the pencil to pencil in notes, I get sound, and can playback fine, so I have the aux and routing correct. If I use the controller or my MPC, I don't hear notes being triggered even thought the light on the unit indicates I have connection. Is there something I missed in setting up the midi input? Also, my aux output would not play Reason thru my default Analog 1-2 out. If I set the output to SPDIF 1-2 out, it plays. Any ideas? Just upgraded to 6.1.1. also, so new Asio driver is installed.

Old 10-08-2003, 04:04 PM

Default Re: PT/REASON MIDI

Describe your audio chain exactly... how you have the MIDI track set up, and the inputs and outputs of your Aux track.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 10-08-2003, 06:46 PM

Quote:
If I use the pencil to pencil in notes, I get sound, and can playback fine, so I have the aux and routing correct.
1) is your midi track in PT rec enabled?
2) is midi thru enabled?

that thing about the input is weird. i've seen that with moog modular. i don't think there's a solution other than keep the input set to whatever works for you. i keep my rewire aux on "no input".
Old 10-09-2003, 05:43 AM

MIDI TRACK INPUT = ALL
MIDI TRACK OUTPUT = (BANDAID) INSTRUMENT IN REASON (ONLY INSTRUMENT OPEN IN REASON)
THE AUX TRACK HAS REASON IN THE FIRST FX INSERT
THE AUX TRACK HAS ANALOG 1-2 IN THE OUTPUT. (This is where I get no audio). However, I have resolved this by putting Analog 1-2 on a send on the AUX track and it works.

With this setup, there is no sound when using the keyboard or MPC2000xl. When I write notes manually, there is sound. So my routing is correct, maybe I need to set up something else to get my keys and MPC to trigger Reason notes. I can use the MPC asa a master and it will start both PTS and Reason, also. It just won't trigger notes. Maybe the midi thru is the ting. I'll look at it today when I get to the studio.
Thanks for the responses.

Old 10-09-2003, 07:28 AM

you didn't answer the question:

1) is your midi track in PT rec enabled?
2) is midi thru enabled?

try those things first.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:27 AM

What is the Aux Track's INPUT assigned to.. this does effect the ReWire plug-in.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 10-09-2003, 11:07 AM

Quote:
What is the Aux Track's INPUT assigned to.. this does effect the ReWire plug-in.
i've noticed that on some people's systems. i think its totally random whether you might have that problem or not. for example, i set my aux input to "no input". some people have to set it to a certain input. weird...

but i don't think that's this guy's problem. he said he gets audio, he just can't get his midi controller to trigger reason. i still think its something simple like he forgot to rec enable his PT midi track or he doesn't have midi thru enabled in PT...
Old 10-09-2003, 07:45 PM

I apologize for getting back so late. I've been in the studio all day. I also apologize to0 ya da basstard for not answering your question. I was on my way out the door with my wife calling me to go to work, so I was in a rush. I had a client tracking some beats today, and we did resolve the midi trigger issue. I didn't have midi thru enabled, like da basstard said. However, I do think something is amiss with the aux track not always outputting to my main output (analog 1-2). In my first session, the music was sequenced in Reason, and I just tracked vocals in PTs. I set the aux insert to reason (l/r mix), the regular input to no input, and then set the output to analog 1-2. My session was ultra smoothe. On my next session, however, Reason could not be heard if the aux track output was set to analog 1-2. However, if you set up a send to analog 1-2, you could hear fine. So Reason was the insert and the send was analog 1-2. I just thought that from one session to the next, the regular output would or wouldn't work. I had some help today, as my friend is a midi course director at Full Sail, and was with me all day. We just have been noticing some small hiccups, and we're trying to see if anyone else is experiencing them. Thanks for the help, you guys are always there, and you give excellent advice. Maybe I should pay you for tech support, since Digi's has already expired (only had the system since July, and didn't use it 'til almost September.) Now I have to pay an annual fee to call them, when I haven't even had a Digi product for year.