Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2002, 04:32 AM

Default Bye Bye Sd2...Hello WAV :-(

Hi there,

Let me be the first to shed a tear for the passing of SD2 in PT.... I will miss it....sigh.

[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

5.3 uses Wavs...march on the Clones (as they take over the earth) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

cheers

N
Y
M
o
Old 01-17-2002, 06:33 AM

Default Re: Bye Bye Sd2...Hello WAV :-(

haha, what can I say? I'm gonna use a competitors product because they dont use thier own file format? Man, digi is all jacked up down there. They really need to pull their heads out of their *****e$, they have no loyalty to nothing, not even theirselves. They couldnt go with AIFF? they had to slap us in the face with this PC crap? I am very disappointed. Maybe PT's isnt worth the headache anymore. If they had any loyalty at all and money wasnt numero uno then they wouldnt support support the PC platform at all. which i think they shouldnt, make those PC idiots use AIFF at least! erggghhhhh. I refuse to use wav or upgrade untill I get my smpte timeline, voices, and notation for midi. hell, i may even downgrade to 4.3.1 or..... start using another product like Logic or Cubase.
Old 01-17-2002, 07:05 AM

It has to use SD2, otherwise no backwards compatibility, right?

I assume you can only choose .wav for new sessions? (not too big a deal)

Mike
Old 01-17-2002, 08:22 AM

WAV is not any worse as an audio format than SDII or AIFF, even if it WAS developed by the mindless minions of the evil empire.

WAV is actually a special case of RIFF (Resource Interchange File Format), a format defined by Microsoft to enable very flexible A/V stream encoding. RIFF could store anything, even Midi - it just so happens that the most widespread formats are PCM audio and video+codec variants.

What's cool about RIFF is that you can define your own file header in front of the data... throw a scan of a scribbled lyric sheet in front of multitrack audio data with a compression codec in a single file, is possible with RIFF. And if the importing software can correctly interpret the standard audio header info, the file can be loaded even if the other info can't...

- Sean
Old 01-17-2002, 08:34 AM

It will still accept the SDII format for older sessions. The reason WAV format is used for the new platform is that it supports 96K and 192K sample rates, whereas SDII does not. The minions of the PC world may be evil, but at least they were forward looking.. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-17-2002, 07:07 PM

Hey, no more file conversions when I ship a session to a Windoze computer. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-17-2002, 07:48 PM

I guess that's ONE advantage.

True, there's more, but it kinda feels like a betrayal to my Mac to use .wav files on it. Stupid? [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

I will be nice to not worry about converting so much.
Old 01-17-2002, 09:38 PM

so what is the difference between SDII and WAV?

almost nothing!

in both cases it is just a header containing basic information like bits and samplerate and the like and then we have the PCM-samplevalues. in both file types there could be a lot more information and PT uses this ability to store things like the waveform-overview or your serial-number or whatever. and of course on a mac the header is stored in the ressource-fork.

but after all it is just info and PCM-data. not to mention: absolutely the same with AIFF...
Old 01-18-2002, 06:29 AM

Why didnt they choose aiff? Loyalty to nothing! not even thier own file format.
Old 01-18-2002, 07:35 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Why didnt they choose aiff? Loyalty to nothing! not even thier own file format.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

because AIFF doesn't support regions, and SDII doesn't support sample rates higher than 48.
So it makes sense to switch to some existing standard that supports what they need.
They are all basically the same pcm encoded files anyway, just different headers.