Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 02:54 PM

Default I don\'t know how many times I wish I could do this...

I would love it if I could look into a different session than the one I am working on to see some basic info (kind of like the info you would find on a track sheet). Here is a list of things that I would love to be able to find out without opening the whole session (feel free to add to it-this is just off the top of my head):

-tempo of the session (or at least the starting tempo)
-file type used
-sample rate
-timecode start
-track list
-what plugins are on which tracks

A huge step further would be something like this:

-to be able to see the mixer window of a different song than the one I am working on (simply a dummy window that shows the state of the mixer if I was to open the session as it was saved-AND be able to scroll to see all the tracks)
-AND to take the previous one step further, how about being able to open the plugins to see the settings (of course it is only virtual)

Feel free to add.

mike
Old 11-01-2007, 03:49 PM

Default Re: I don\'t know how many times I wish I could do this...

Quote:
I would love it if I could look into a different session than the one I am working on to see some basic info (kind of like the info you would find on a track sheet). Here is a list of things that I would love to be able to find out without opening the whole session (feel free to add to it-this is just off the top of my head):

-file type used
-sample rate
-timecode start
-track list

-to be able to see the mixer window of a different song than the one I am working on (simply a dummy window that shows the state of the mixer if I was to open the session as it was saved-AND be able to scroll to see all the tracks)
-AND to take the previous one step further, how about being able to open the plugins to see the settings (of course it is only virtual)

Feel free to add.

mike
Few things.

the first 4 can be seen in the Workspace.
Track list can be seen by selecting Import Session Data and looking at the list. You can then cancel without doing anything.
The last one I got nothing.

Otherwise I'd find what you're suggesting useful.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:54 PM

Great idea! While we're at it, I'd just add that it'd be great to be able to zoom around the edit window too, to see what's where and visually scan for edits, alternate playlists...etc. This would be a huge timesaver!
Old 11-02-2007, 03:38 AM

dmazurek,

Thanks for the insight, though I am unable to read the real tempos of the songs, they all turn up as 120bpm. Strange.

mike
Old 11-02-2007, 05:11 AM

Try trashing the digibases maybe. It should and does work for me all the time. And remember those columns can be arranged however you like. So you can drag the tempo column etc all the way to the left so they show up without having to scroll.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Quote:

-file type used
-sample rate
-timecode start
-track list

Feel free to add.

mike
Few things.

the first 4 can be seen in the Workspace.
Track list can be seen by selecting Import Session Data and looking at the list. You can then cancel without doing anything.
The last one I got nothing.

Otherwise I'd find what you're suggesting useful.
Sometimes I just have to close the session I'm working on, open the other one, and snap a screenshot (command/shift/3). This caveman technique works well when I have to recreate mixes from one of my clients DP files. Agreed, it would be cool to be able to open a "dummy" session just to poke around.