Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2005, 09:24 AM

Default Re: AVoption|V10 and Mac OS X Announcement

Quote:
I think it is you having problems seeing the writing on the wall chief.
This is getting out of hand. I didn't single out any of the "conspiracy theorists" as I called them, and now I'm being singled out.

My email address is in my profile if you wish to take this off the DUC. I do not appreciate being called out in public, especially for an opinion.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:36 AM

Default Re: Will DigiDesign stay supporting Apple/OSX

The GM at Digi, Dave Lebolt, stated in Spring 2005 under Dave's Dirt "Support for both platforms from Digidesign will continue to be strong." ......... mmmmmm..... so some of you say he's not telling the truth..... show me the proof.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:36 AM

Digi will not drop the Mac... that's their bread and butter.. it's also stupid for them to ignore the huge number of XP users (especially with LE). Apple will never be able to stop them developing Pro Tools - it's against the law -- so Pro Tools will remain a cross platform product.. which works equally well on both platforms (I actually feel my HD3 Accel system works better under XP).

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 04-23-2005, 10:39 AM

Quote:
rickridge sez:
Quote:

I still believe the switch to OSX has been a mistake for Apple.

What ? ! ?

Not true.

Demonstrably proven.

Move on.

People here who cannot accept change, are in the wrong business.

Wait... make that:

YOU'RE RESIDING IN THE WRONG SECTOR OF THE TIME/SPACE CONTINUUM!

Adapt.

You'll live longer.

j

I've been on OS X almost from the beginning and I'm not going back. But I still have some associates who remain on OS 9, and there is no doubt that ProTools feels a lot snappier. Really large sessions start and stop faster, Mutes frees voices seems to have a greater positive effect on performance, screens scroll better, plug-ins open faster, midi actually seems tighter, and no spinning wheels of death. I have to say that except for new improved features, ProTools felt better under OS 9.

STeve
Old 04-23-2005, 01:07 PM

>I have to say that except for new improved features, Pro Tools felt better under OS 9.<

It's just like your mom always told you. "You never get something for nothing". Even though OS9 "feels" snappier, I could never go back and lose the new features that have made my life so much easier working with Pro Tools. Like the new feature in 6.9, where you can shift/click to select a range of tracks. To have say, 80 SFX tracks and be able to select the range to sequentially assign them to console inputs or route them to a buss, or group them for that matter, without clicking on them one at a time is huge for me. Sometimes it's the little things that help the most.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:11 PM

Quote:
1. Why did they make it that OSX could only be installed on newer macs? If Macs only have a 5% worldwide market share, what percentage of that market is using OSX? Why would such a small percentage appeal to developers?

2. Since it is proven that OSX CAN run on older macs, why didn't someone there think of a stripped down version of osx for older macs? If that would have cost too much time and resources, how about disabling certain features on older hardware (such as AQUA)? If it performed SLOWLY on older hardware, at least THAT would encourage users to upgrade their machines! WinXP and WIN 2000 both CAN run on a pentium 266 (my friend's computer) though it is SLOW as MOLASSES, it STILL RUNS!!

3. Was it not possible to update OS9 to have the features that OSX offers? Was it not possible for OSX to actually be OS9 + 1 instead of something TOTALLY different? Different can be good, but when you cut off your existing installed user base in the "name of progress" with NO compromise, is different good enough? Those of us that have to use the classic environment KNOWS that it's NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

4. According to stats i've come across (yeah yeah i know....there are THREE kinds of lies: lies, DAMN lies and statistics!) only 20% of the mac market uses OSX. I think the reason why that number is low, is because most people cannot AFFORD to buy a new computer JUST for a new OS! And it not like the computers are CHEAP ENOUGH to begin with. I know I would have preferred to buy OSX for $199 cdn, and MAKE it work on my older mac......

any opinions?
Here's a quote i got from the MacAddict forum...its DLANTZ again....
Old 04-23-2005, 03:56 PM

Steve MacMillan sez:

Quote:
But I still have some associates who remain on OS 9, and there is no doubt that ProTools feels a lot snappier.
For the record, rockridge wrote that "the switch to OSX has been a mistake for Apple"

That said, there may well be a wide variety of reasons they remain with OS 9 that are unrelated to snappiness.

j
Old 04-24-2005, 05:30 AM

I understand why some love OSX.

First, you get the privilege to a paid upgrade 3 or 4 times in as many years. Making OSX 10.0 and 10.1 utterly useless.

Then you have the honor of being under complete control by an OS that records every key stroke you make, insuring that you remain anal retentive.

And with every upgrade, you get a complimentary version of Apple's new exercise app... "iBendover"!

... alright, that last part i made up... it will cost $129 US...
Old 04-24-2005, 09:29 AM

So, DON'T upgrade! What's the problem?
Old 04-24-2005, 09:59 PM

Default Re: AVoption|V10 and Mac OS X Announcement

Well, that's now a confirmed closed door to the PowerMac G5 and/or Mac OSX as far as any Digidesign/AVID approved realtime record/playback to a network-based server environment for post-production is concerned.