Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2002, 06:46 PM

Default New user 001 Factory-Need Drums

I just bought a new digi 001 factory and I'm doing all of my recording by myself in an apartment where real drums are not an option. I have no drummer and need advice on the best sounding, most user friendly way to get drum sounds w/ my vocals, guitar & bass. I also bought a MIDIMAN oxygen 8 soft synth-I thought I could use it for drums. I'm not sure if I need any additional software to use it with the 001. I thought I would be able to get drum sounds with the plug-ins included with the factory bundle. I'm totally new to using anything that has to do with drums-please help.
Old 04-23-2002, 06:58 PM

Default Re: New user 001 Factory-Need Drums

I love Drag & Drop Drummer. I cut it all up in Acid Pro and I get great results. These are real drums, recorded in a studio, and they sound good.
Check out these links, I think that you'll dig them.
http://www.discretedrums.com/
http://www.multiloops.com/
http://dddrummer.com/
Good luck with your search.
Old 04-24-2002, 07:31 AM

I'm new at this myself. Using drum loops has proven to be a very "easy" way to get great sounding REAL drum tracks. However, unless you know how to edit your loops, you'll be limited to using the original loops.

I purchased mine at http://www.soundsonline.com

Roger
HD 120GB HITC 7200R 8MB x2
CDRW Liteon 52x32x52
Old 04-24-2002, 09:05 AM

Hey Nico,
What I've been doing is cutting and pasting samples in grid mode. As long as you know your tempo, and aren't gonna wanna change it, it's been working great. It takes a little time to gather the samples (I sampled the hell out of a dm5, and anything else I get my hands on!) but once you've got 'em you just import 'em and cut and paste.
If you want, I could send you a session as an example. The whole session (drums only) is only about 1.6 meg. That's kick, snare, toms , hh's, crashes and various percussion. Once you've done a few, you get pretty quick at using grid mode.
Lemme know.
Ter

I don't know, what d'you think?
Old 04-24-2002, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Plugs:
I sampled the hell out of a dm5, and anything else I get my hands on!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Plugs - I'm pretty new at drums too. I have been sequencing dm5 sounds in the midi environment, and then recording it to audio as a stereo drum track when completed and I am pretty happy with the results and ease of arranging the notes. Is there an advantage to sampling the dm5 sounds and arranging the individual sounds in the audio environment instead midi? (if I understand you correctly, that is your method)
Old 04-24-2002, 10:47 AM

Link me to an mp3 and I'll play on it. Give me a version with any fake drums you have so I can get the feel of the song, give me just a clik track and tempo info, and give me a stereo version of just the music. [email protected] if interested
Old 04-30-2002, 02:02 PM

Sorry J old school, lost track o this thread.
I don't know if there's any great advantage (other than avoiding the usual midi hassles). Depends on the project and what I'm tryin to do.
The only big advantage is the size. I can email the wav files uncompressed, so there's no loss.

I don't know, what d'you think?