Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2021, 05:16 AM

Default M1 Pro or MBP 2019 i7?

Hello people. Everybody saw the new MacBooks with the M1Pro\Max chips and the benchmarks are incredible. Although as im owning a mbp 2019 16" i7 intel im considering to sell it (now that the value of that mbp is still high) and go for the new one (base model). I was thinking its a good idea because I know that in the next 2 years I will need to sell it and buy a maxed out Mac for more professional projects. So intel Macbook wont give a lot of money in the next 2 years in comparison with the newest. Although my main concern (as a pro tools user) is that if im gonna switch to the newer Macbook now I'm afraid I will have a lot of problems with compatibility and I don't know if these issues will gonna be fixed in the next months or if its gonna take way more than a year(or even more) to be most of the too.d compatible.
Old 11-26-2021, 05:34 AM

Default Re: M1 Pro or MBP 2019 i7?

You keep asking the same question. Are you hoping for a different answer?

There are now about 10 threads on this subject.

What do you want to know that isn't already covered?

M1 Max only runs on Monterey. Monterey doesn't work well with PT.
No one knows when PT will be Apple Silicon native.
No one knows when Avid will certify Monterey.
No one knows when Avid will release a version of PT which works well with Monterey.
No one knows when Apple will fix the problems in Monterey.

Dominic
Old 11-26-2021, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
You keep asking the same question. Are you hoping for a different answer?

There are now about 10 threads on this subject.

What do you want to know that isn't already covered?

M1 Max only runs on Monterey. Monterey doesn't work well with PT.
No one knows when PT will be Apple Silicon native.
No one knows when Avid will certify Monterey.
No one knows when Avid will release a version of PT which works well with Monterey.
No one knows when Apple will fix the problems in Monterey.

Dominic
Dude I don't know if you had a bad day, im just writing my thoughts and hoping for a discussion for something that I have to pay a lot of money. I just want others opinion and mostly professionals opinion on this subject. This is why I just create a new thread just for this specific comparison. Thanks tho!
Old 11-26-2021, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaggelis.mak View Post
Dude I don't know if you had a bad day, im just writing my thoughts and hoping for a discussion for something that I have to pay a lot of money. I just want others opinion and mostly professionals opinion on this subject. This is why I just create a new thread just for this specific comparison. Thanks tho!
It would be better if you asked all your questions in one thread and not clog up the forum asking slight variations on essentially the same question.

Dominic has covered the current state of play comprehensively.

For my opinion- if you need to get working *right now* with a full supported system then go i7.

If you are prepared to wait for M1 Pro to be fully supported then it is a better way to go.
I have a 2019 Mac Pro, a 14" M1 Max and a 2018 MBP.
The 14" is incredibly powerful for what it does but it just isn't quite ready for prime time yet.

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 11-26-2021, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptheoctave View Post
It would be better if you asked all your questions in one thread and not clog up the forum asking slight variations on essentially the same question.

Dominic has covered the current state of play comprehensively.

For my opinion- if you need to get working *right now* with a full supported system then go i7.

If you are prepared to wait for M1 Pro to be fully supported then it is a better way to go.
I have a 2019 Mac Pro, a 14" M1 Max and a 2018 MBP.
The 14" is incredibly powerful for what it does but it just isn't quite ready for prime time yet.
Yeah this is why I just create this thread.

Thanks for the answer. Maybe I will stay with the i7 for now.
Old 11-26-2021, 06:36 AM

The biggest problem with the MBP 2019 i7 is the fans coming on, in particular if you have an external screen connected. The i7 is better than the i9 for almost no difference in real-world performance and the version with the 5600M is better than the 5300 or 5500, because the 5600M uses HBM memory and heats up less. But you already know what you can do with what you already own. If it's good enough, then it's good enough.

If you NEED something faster now, then you might be better with a M1 Mini and use Big Sur. The problem with that option is that you are limited to 16GB RAM and two screens. Or a M1 MBA/MBP 13", where you are limited to 16GB RAM and only one external screen. All three M1 machines are faster than a 2019 i7 MBP.

If you don't want to do that then the only stable option is a bigger Intel machine - a Intel Mini (up to 64GB RAM) or a Mac Pro 2019. But expect to lose money on those fast.

The M1 Pro/Max is somewhere between unreliable and a world of pain for most PT users at the moment.

Or you could buy an M1 Max and use Logic until PT is ready and stable. It's a serious option.

Dominic
Old 11-26-2021, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaggelis.mak View Post
Yeah this is why I just create this thread.

Thanks for the answer. Maybe I will stay with the i7 for now.
If you already have that system and can work with it then yeah.
I don't know anyone who is running an M1 as their primary workstation with PT, doing commercial work.
It would be a very risky proposition.

Have you read this?

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...st-impressions

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 11-26-2021, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
The biggest problem with the MBP 2019 i7 is the fans coming on, in particular if you have an external screen connected. The i7 is better than the i9 for almost no difference in real-world performance and the version with the 5600M is better than the 5300 or 5500, because the 5600M uses HBM memory and heats up less. But you already know what you can do with what you already own. If it's good enough, then it's good enough.

If you NEED something faster now, then you might be better with a M1 Mini and use Big Sur. The problem with that option is that you are limited to 16GB RAM and two screens. Or a M1 MBA/MBP 13", where you are limited to 16GB RAM and only one external screen. All three M1 machines are faster than a 2019 i7 MBP.

If you don't want to do that then the only stable option is a bigger Intel machine - a Intel Mini (up to 64GB RAM) or a Mac Pro 2019. But expect to lose money on those fast.

The M1 Pro/Max is somewhere between unreliable and a world of pain for most PT users at the moment.

Or you could buy an M1 Max and use Logic until PT is ready and stable. It's a serious option.

Dominic
I'm already using a MPA (8gb, provided from my work) but yeah It can't replace my intel i7.

I was also thinking about new Macbook and work with Logic as it is one of my main DAWs (for music production mostly) but Im using pro tools for post. but maybe I will consider using logic for post (at least trying to) for some months if I'll eventually buy it.

Thank you very much for your help and your advices!
Old 11-26-2021, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptheoctave View Post
If you already have that system and can work with it then yeah.
I don't know anyone who is running an M1 as their primary workstation with PT, doing commercial work.
It would be a very risky proposition.

Have you read this?

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...st-impressions
Yeah and it was really helpful article.

Yeah me neither I don't think PT can be your main workstation rn. I will consider what Dominic said and maybe trying to work with Logic as my main DAW until PT be compatible with M1 and with Monterey also.