Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2011, 12:50 PM

Default Strike 1/Prtools9/Lion

Just installed 9.05 on my new iMac running Lion. It seems to work OK, although it takes up to 60 seconds to load any session. That seems a little excessive, with me running a factory-installed SSD drive for apps, and a huge e-sata drive for data.

Is this painfully slow load time, what others are experiencing?

Almost all my old plugins installed just fine —Ozone 4, TL Space, Reaktor, Guitar Rig, RX2, etc — with the lone exception of Strike version 1.

Strike is on two discs. The first disc loads OK. The second disc gets 3/4 done, then just hangs there for ten minutes without much disc noise or anything significant happening. I eventually did a "force quit"on it. Then I even needed to do a "force eject" on the disc. This makes me suspect that either Strike, or perhaps the installer itself, must be written in PPC code. Anyway, Strike now shows up in Protools. But when i load it on an instrument track, the graphics are all wrong. weird colors, no buttons work. Unusable.

Anybody else experiencing this? It would be good to know if its the software itself, before I try it again. One thing that makes no sense to me is that every other piece of software written in old PPC code, has caused Lion to give me a message that it can't be installed. i got no such message trying to install Strike.

I especially hate to buy an updated Strike ONLY because the installer is old code. And how ironic, that the only bad software is by Digi.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Strike 1/Prtools9/Lion

Try downloading the latest version of the plugin from Avid's site, versus using older install discs. This may or may not help in this particular instance, but downloading from Avid.com is always the best place to start.

Last edited by OddsAre; 10-19-2011 at 01:13 PM. Reason: sp. check...
Old 10-19-2011, 01:21 PM

yes, certainly, but only if i want to pay $100 for the upgrade. before i do that, i want to figure out if i can get Strike 1 to work on my system. My version of Strike does everything i need in a drum machine, except (possibly) work with Protools 9 on Lion.

That's what I'm trying to determine.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreo1 View Post
yes, certainly, but only if i want to pay $100 for the upgrade. before i do that, i want to figure out if i can get Strike 1 to work on my system. My version of Strike does everything i need in a drum machine, except (possibly) work with Protools 9 on Lion.

That's what I'm trying to determine.
Plug-in Compatibility Grid

You need strike 1.5 for compatibility with PT9.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-19-2011, 02:17 PM

Not exactly. I tried the same process again, but this time left for an hour to run some errands during the install. Everything got installed this time, but it still didn't work. So then i tried what OddsAre suggested earlier, and found a version of Strike 1.03 on the Avid site, meant specifically for Snow Leopard.

This time it showed up perfectly on my Protools 9 screen. With one painful problem. It can't find the content, and tells me to go to the folder where the content is, and run a utility called "Set Strike Content Location".

And wouldn't you know it, the utility is written in PPC code. So it won't load. I even started up my old G5 to see where it had been located. As expected, it was in the same location that today's install also placed the content.

So I'm on my knees. can anyone come up with a good idea of how to get my working version of Strike to see all its content? Without the utility meant to make the connection, but which doesn't work any more.

Anyone from Avid out there? Any chance i can get a copy of JUST the utility from 1.5 so i can point my content to my working copy of Strike? Just thought I'd ask.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:21 PM

When you load strike, it will take forever for the decompression to fully happen with the supplied DVDs it may not seem like anything is happening, but there is something going on. Be patient it took me about forty minutes to load strike, but it is worth the wait
Old 10-19-2011, 02:30 PM

You needs to point strike to the folder where the content is loaded most likely where your applications are ... Look for strike In your apps
Old 10-19-2011, 03:42 PM

No let me describe it again. a little more clearly. I finally did get Strike to work OK.

When it starts up, a message flashes telling me that Strike can't find all its many drum sets. It then tells me that to link Strike to its content, I just need to open a utility program called "Set Strike Content Location" which is located in the same folder as the content.

It's easy to find the folder, it's exactly where you'd expect it, in a Strike folder within the Digidesign main folder. It's where Strike installed it.

Ok, so i start the utility, but immediately get the dreaded Lion message terming me that the utility itself is written in old PPC code, and can't be used on this computer.

In other words, although Strike is working just fine, I can see no obvious way to workaround the utility in order to get Strike to link to all its content.

So all I am asking here, is if anyone else has come up with a bright alternative idea of how to get Strike linked up to its content. I guess I'm wondering if maybe there is some other location where Strike will look for its content. Since the folder is located where the Strike install placed it, you'd think this would be automatic.

I'd appreciate it if Avid would chime in here, to help me fix something very small, that is keeping my expensive software from working. And yes, i am very aware that i can spend $100 to get Strike 1.5. In my case, i'd actually be spending $100 just to get the little utility to work.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:07 PM

OK I got Strike to work. I found another forum here, that focuses on software instruments like Strike. There, I found several threads from many users who have the same problem as me.

First off, if you do have this problem installing Strike for PT 9 on Lion, believe me, you can fix it. You don't have to go buy Strike 1.5. Go read the threads about "Strike content locator". basically, this little Strike-installed utility doesn't really work. The fact that it doesn't work, has nothing to do with either PT 9 or Lion.

Someone, probably someone at Avid, has acknowledged this problem, and coded a little terminal routine. Running this, on Terminal, is what fixed it for me.

I only wish this fix was not so well hidden. Avid needs to place it on the same page where all the other Strike resource files reside. Had it been there, it would have saved me a few hours of troubleshooting.

I thank everyone who weighed in here.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:17 PM

The "Set Strike Content Location" application should be used when Strike cannot find its data files (e.g. if data files have been moved to another drive).

Latest version working with PT10

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...&Hilite=strike

Where in /Applications/Avid/Avid Virtual Instruments/Strike