Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2010, 10:01 PM

Default Volume in regards to mastering

I just have a quick question. I have been working on tunes for years and I have no problem getting the tune to sound great and only have one issue when it comes to mastering. How the hell do I get the the tune to be as loud as the pros? I have tried everything from multi band compression to a maximizer. So how do I get the volume to match up to other tunes?
Old 08-04-2010, 11:00 PM

Default Re: Volume in regards to mastering

make sure the master volume is not peaking 1st. as hard as it is turn down the volume so when you push it with the mastering plugins its not pushed already or clipping. 2nd mess with the eq so that the low end or high end arent driving it so hard that way it can be pushed louder. 3rd mess with an exciter then multiband comp or just reg comp then a stereo widener followed by the maximizer and limiter. there are many ways about going about it but I have gotten amazing results with izotope ozone 4 over t racks 3. its all personal pref. also outboard gear tends to be a lot louder than plugins for me anyways so yeah. one more thing give your track room to breath and remember there is a volume knob the customer can turn up to not be lazy.
Memory Bus Speed : 2x 670MHz (1.34GHz)
western digital black (1TB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, NCQ, 32MB Cache) : 932GB (C:)
western digital black (1TB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, NCQ, 32MB Cache) : 932GB (D:)
Memorex DVD+-RAM 550L v1 (SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache) : N/A (G:)
Windows 7 Ultimate 6.01.7600 x64
gateway 24inch hdmi dvi HD monitor
pro tools LE 8.0.4
Old 08-05-2010, 12:32 AM

I have a very simple tip for do it yourself mastering, but first...

1) Selecting the proper instrument sounds are very important for perceived loudness. The kick and bass alone can make all the difference with a track sounding loud or better yet punchy. Most of the pro records you hear were recorded and mixed in top notch studios, with top notch gear, and everything was strategically selected for a huge final mix before mastering.

2) Speaking of punch, you're not confusing loud with punch, right? What may seem louder may just be the other track hitting harder or being punchier than yours. Limiting a track to hell will not make it sound louder but will in fact squash the life out of any punch and dynamics that is there. Punch is achieved in the recording and mixing stages. Mastering will simply enhance that.

I say all this because I found it to be very true for me when I also found my tracks not sounding louder years ago.

As far as mastering yourself goes the simple tip is, if you must master your work then invest in iZotope Ozone. If everything above is present, then the iZotope presets are great to start with and will make your great recording and mix a great master. You could always pay 75 bucks to a mastering studio like http://www.waltzmastering.com/ (who of course has dedicated mastering equipment). Not bad a price at all if you do everything else yourself.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:03 PM

in regards to advertising I must also recomend my friend john naclerio. his studios have outputted these following bands if you keep up with the times to get an understanding.

armor for sleep
the ataris
the audition
autopilot off
bayside
brand new
the dear hunter
my chemical romance
polar bear club
etc. etc.

he is doing a $30 dollar a song mastering deal and is good at it.

http://nadarecording.blogspot.com/p/mastering.html
western digital black (1TB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, NCQ, 32MB Cache) : 932GB (C:)
western digital black (1TB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, NCQ, 32MB Cache) : 932GB (D:)
pro tools LE 8.0.4
Old 08-05-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerhal View Post
make sure the master volume is not peaking 1st. as hard as it is turn down the volume so when you push it with the mastering plugins its not pushed already or clipping. 2nd mess with the eq so that the low end or high end arent driving it so hard that way it can be pushed louder. 3rd mess with an exciter then multiband comp or just reg comp then a stereo widener followed by the maximizer and limiter. there are many ways about going about it but I have gotten amazing results with izotope ozone 4 over t racks 3. its all personal pref. also outboard gear tends to be a lot louder than plugins for me anyways so yeah. one more thing give your track room to breath and remember there is a volume knob the customer can turn up to not be lazy.
Hi nerhal,,, In checking Ozone, it doesn't mention W7 as supported? But I see you are useing W7,,, everything work OK??

Thanks,,,, Mike
Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0GHz | Asus Z97-Pro LGA 1150 Intel 6Gb | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3 2400 | Asus GT640 Silent 2 GB GDDR3 | Samsung 850 Pro SSD's, WD Caviar Black HDD's | PSU Corsair 750W ATX12V | Windows 10 | Presonus Studio One | 003R PT's 12.8 | Waves Platinum | Ivory/Piano | Berlin Woodwinds, Nocturne Solo Violin | SPITFIRE Solo Strings | EastWest Hollywood Strings, Brass, Pro Drummer, and Stormdrum 2 | VSL | Vienna Ensemble Pro | M-Audio Code 61, FaderPort 8 |
Old 08-06-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Subbz View Post
I just have a quick question. I have been working on tunes for years and I have no problem getting the tune to sound great and only have one issue when it comes to mastering. How the hell do I get the the tune to be as loud as the pros? I have tried everything from multi band compression to a maximizer. So how do I get the volume to match up to other tunes?
I often ask this same question about dentistry and can never understand why my kids go running screaming when I come after them with a dremel.; ) I kid.

Everything has it's learning curve. It''s just a matter of trying to utilize and get the best out of the tools that you have at your disposal. Check the un-mastered with the master at equal volume to make sure you are making sonic improvements and not just getting a track louder but worse for the wear. It's very hard to explain how to master and feel confident about the results on a daily basis. To me, it takes years and many many albums until you can feel you can really understand how to master on a level that rivals some of the best out there. (the original question)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamlan View Post
You could always pay 75 bucks to a mastering studio like http://www.waltzmastering.com/ (who of course has dedicated mastering equipment). Not bad a price at all if you do everything else yourself.
Thank you for the mention. Those are my attended rates. Online rates are about 25% cheaper and free samples are always welcome. I haven't updated the site in a while. Best.

http://recording.org/content/381-wal...mastering.html

Tom W

www.waltzmastering.com
Old 08-06-2010, 07:31 AM

Tom I had no idea, & the fault of not checking, but ur rates are wonderful...

I'm @ som point gonna send a tune to u just to get a different perspective on it & maybe that 1 will turn into longterm work with u... believe it or not, I really do real work U guys on here jus think I'm a jokester & thatz the way~un-hunh-un-hunh, I like~ket

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 08-06-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keybeeetsss View Post
Tom I had no idea, & the fault of not checking, but ur rates are wonderful...

I'm @ some point gonna send a tune to u just to get a different perspective on it & maybe that 1 will turn into longterm work with u
Thanks. I look forward to it.

Tom W

www.waltzmastering.com
Old 08-06-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerhal View Post
in regards to advertising I must also recomend my friend john naclerio. his studios have outputted these following bands if you keep up with the times to get an understanding.
My intent was not to advertise. My point was to give an example of there being mastering engineers that offer online services at great rates. Sorry for not specifying that. Perhaps the OP would prefer to go that route, which is better, instead of feeling he has to master himself.

I don't know Tom but came across his website (cool site BTW) on another forum and used it in my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltz mastering View Post

Thank you for the mention. Those are my attended rates. Online rates are about 25% cheaper and free samples are always welcome. I haven't updated the site in a while. Best.

http://recording.org/content/381-wal...mastering.html
That's even better! Even more reason to use a pro mastering engineer. Best to you as well.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianosound View Post
Hi nerhal,,, In checking Ozone, it doesn't mention W7 as supported? But I see you are useing W7,,, everything work OK??

Thanks,,,, Mike

yeah I believe they have an update for it on their site. avid has a link for it as well. not sure where you can search its on the forum. in either case I have been using it on w7 64bit no problems ever since the pt le 8.0.3 beta
pro tools LE 8.0.4