Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2001, 01:52 AM

Default Freeze Up During Record

Until today my new Mix Core has been running flawlessly. The only system change between the flawless running and the problem described below is that I added the following plug-ins (as these new plugs work well and I always got the "successful installation" note, I believe the plugs are correctly installed - but NOTE: Though a long time PT Project user I am new to TDM: Note: all plugs except Waves are in system, DAE, Plug In folder and Waves' shell is in that folder also while waves' plugs reside in their own folder on the same drive). I added: Waves TDM, TC Tools and Antarres Auto Tune.

My first session after installing the new plugs went well, HOWEVER all my tracking was limited to 5-10 second takes (vocal harmonies). I used the new plugs and all seemed well. After that session, as I often do, I optimized all the drives before closing shop for the night.

Today while attempting to loop record a longer take the system froze (stopped: MIDI notes were stuck and the edit window was frozen in record, but nothing was moving) After maybe a minute, the computer unfroze and I got the following message: "DAE was unable to complete this operation. Your disk may be too slow or too fragmented. (-9073)".

Then I hit OK on the message and my partially recorded take would show up: with unusual artifacts (like several erratic clicks).

I then removed all the plugs from the session (i.e. "no insert/send") and tried again. Same freeze with maybe a few seconds longer record time.

This was not a large session: 3 audio tracks playing back with one audio aux (for external tc verb), 6 midi tracks playing back, 2 midi aux and 1 midi master. I was only recording to one track

SYSTEM DETAILS: G3(beige)266, 280+ RAM, 5 and 20 Gig Internal, 18 Gig SCSI external Cheetah 10K RPM. Mix Core running 5.01.

I know the Beige G3 is no monster, but the guy I bought it from was doing 60 track commercial projects on the same computer with his Mix Plus system with LESS SCSI than I am using!

Any ideas, help, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Felix Misch
206/463-7766 (West Coast)
Old 02-27-2001, 02:56 AM

Default Re: Freeze Up During Record

PARTIAL SELF-ANSWER

More Investigation Reveals: Other sessions work just fine. Somehow - any ideas - this one session described above became corrupted.
Wierd??!!??

Felix