Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2004, 05:32 PM

Default Can I open Logic Audio session file with pt?

I mixed with Logic a year ago. And I want to mix them again with protools hd, can I open them with pt hd directly?
Old 12-02-2004, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Can I open Logic Audio session file with pt?

No, you'd need to resave them in Logic as an AAF or OMF file and use DigiTranslator to open them in Pro Tools.

Search for a previous post by me for the limitations imposed when exporting Logic sessions as OMF.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 12-03-2004, 07:33 PM

Kinghand...
Another approach might be to bounce all your Logic Song files to .wav audio files and then saves them separately and load them into PT...if you are using LP7 they are time stamped...which is what PT will need to sync the tracks...or some kind of "click...
I mentioned this because I just recently bounced all my tracks to audio,,,and saved them to OMF...when I got to the studio...The egineer couldn't open them with the OMF ..(maybe he just didn't know how to deal with OMF files.)...but I'm finding a few PT based Engineers that cannot open OMF files...seemed kind of strange to me...

ThothProd
Old 12-04-2004, 12:27 AM

Quote:
but I'm finding a few PT based Engineers that cannot open OMF files...seemed kind of strange to me...
They probably don't own DigiTranslator.

Rail
Old 12-04-2004, 01:22 AM

Thank all of you!

It's really trouble to do these.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:20 AM

I haven't tried it yet, but someone just showed me a selection under the file menu in Logic which is: "all tracks to audio". Aparently it makes a new folder in your project and dumps each individual track in there as it's own audio file. Handy for importing into a new Protools session for mixing, no?
Old 12-05-2004, 05:19 PM

Rail Jon...
You are probably right...heard it was a great tool......
But my point was ...if they consider themselves Hardcore PT Engineers..shouldn't they be able to deal with OMF import with or without it...even though it will probably simplify the process...I mean you bring in a file and you waitin fot this "PT Head...who's talkin big Sh*t bout who he's worked for ...then he starts scratching his head and ass ...and everybody time is wasted ...cause he ain't talked to you ...and don't know Squat bout Translator....See what I'm sayin...

ThothProd
Old 12-05-2004, 05:30 PM

Rhudebaga...
Yea havent tried it in Logic 7 ...but LP6 had a option called "Save Project As'....and you could then select whether you wanted to save just the Audio...but of course if you hadn't bounced all your tracks to audio......well
I saw that and now that you mentioned it think I'll play wit it and make sure it's working right....Yea that is a real "nifty" little approach to saving your Songs whether your exporting them to PT or another Logic setup...you don't have to worry on whether they got the same set up as you...

Peace,

ThothProd
Old 12-05-2004, 06:00 PM

It doesn't matter how good they are.. if they don't have DigiTranslator installed.. they can't open an OMF file.

That's like saying you're a great driver how come you can't drive this car without the keys?

Sometimes saving as audio isn't good enough.. like the last session I was sent in Logic which had pops and clicks at every edit (even though they'd already apparently tried to mix the album before I had to perform salvage on it).

Rail
Old 12-05-2004, 06:28 PM

Rail Jon...

Well you could hotwire it....but I feel what your saying...I guess if I'm going to take a OMF file to a PT session...I need to make sure they got it....better yet maybe I will just get for my rig...for when I need to do things that way...just x them others straight out of the equation.....

ThothProd