Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 06-01-2023, 07:40 PM

Default Re: Finishing set-up: 5.1 / LFE question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchrismar View Post
Hey Greg, managed to find a JBL RTA-1 and got through the mic calibration portion of setup in REW to realize I don't have a calibration file for the mic, and it doesn't seem to exist anywhere online. Any workaround for that you're aware of, or time to look for another mic?

(In the interim I used your other (dirty) methodology and mixes seem to be translating well)
Was that the mic included with the LSR series? Not sure if it was ever sold for other uses. Or maybe it's a rebadged DBX
Old 06-02-2023, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchrismar View Post
… got through the mic calibration portion of setup in REW to realize I don't have a calibration file for the mic, and it doesn't seem to exist anywhere online. Any workaround for that you're aware of, or time to look for another mic?
The only workaround would be to send your mic to a calibration lab to measure and create a calibration file. TBH, it probably wouldn’t be worth it, not when there are cheap alternatives that already have a calibration file. There used to be the EMM 6 and Umik 1, both of which were around $100 and are adequate for your purposes. Not sure if they’re still available but if not, I’m sure there are cheap current equivalents.

BTW, your low pass filter (not crossover) at 120kHz, is fine, that’s what it should be for the LFE channel. As smurfyou said, you should be using bass management and this can be awkward because you want it to play the bass managed frequencies (probably 20Hz-60 or 80Hz) at parity but the LFE channel at +10dB (in-band gain). So you’ll need some bass management software/hardware that does this. Some subs have this built in and some routing/patching software does, such as the Dadman software that comes with Pro Tools and Digital Audio Denmark interfaces.

G
Old 06-02-2023, 11:23 AM

^^ Just because OP has old Genelecs I feel the urge to advertise less old Genelec subs. I have the 7060B and loving it (though it still beats me why it is 6.1 instead of 5.1 or 7.1) -- point being it is just no-nonsense setup and kind of set it and forget it solution you can just put to your raider.

Go Finland
Old 06-02-2023, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
Was that the mic included with the LSR series? Not sure if it was ever sold for other uses. Or maybe it's a rebadged DBX
Could very well be, and could be why I can't find much info on it. It was collecting dust at my other studio and can't even remember.
Old 06-02-2023, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Malcangi View Post
The only workaround would be to send your mic to a calibration lab to measure and create a calibration file. TBH, it probably wouldn’t be worth it, not when there are cheap alternatives that already have a calibration file. There used to be the EMM 6 and Umik 1, both of which were around $100 and are adequate for your purposes. Not sure if they’re still available but if not, I’m sure there are cheap current equivalents.

BTW, your low pass filter (not crossover) at 120kHz, is fine, that’s what it should be for the LFE channel. As smurfyou said, you should be using bass management and this can be awkward because you want it to play the bass managed frequencies (probably 20Hz-60 or 80Hz) at parity but the LFE channel at +10dB (in-band gain). So you’ll need some bass management software/hardware that does this. Some subs have this built in and some routing/patching software does, such as the Dadman software that comes with Pro Tools and Digital Audio Denmark interfaces.

G
Thanks Greg!
Old 06-03-2023, 03:23 AM

I use a Beyer MM-1 with Smaart. You can get the individual frequency calibration file if you email them the serial number.
For absolute SPL metering however you'll need a calibrator (class 2) as well. Here's a cheap one
https://www.thomann.de/intl/digital_sound_8930b.htm

(make sure the opening matches the mic diameter. the better ones (2-300€) come with adapter inserts.
Old 06-04-2023, 03:21 PM

The miniDSP UMIK-2 is another option for calibration microphones. You can retrieve the specific calibration files from the miniDSP website using the serial number, and REW comes preconfigured to use it.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 06-04-2023, 03:33 PM

My pick for RTA mic would be Audix TM1
Old 06-10-2023, 07:24 AM

I purchased a ISEMCON EMX 7150. It was suggested by Meyer Sound.
Bought it from here:
https://www.millerai.com/shop/p/isem...microphone-7mm
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.