Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2021, 05:21 AM

Default Re: .ptx file corruption-missing audio and video files- no way to relink-

Happened here as well, few weeks ago, dialogue editor was working with various tools, RX7 was one of them. We found out after a Protools crash. We narrowed it down to a 3 minute timeframe where it happened but due to the crash the digitrace logs were incomplete (and have inconsistent timestamps) so we couldn't recall the exact set of buttons pushed that caused the issue.
Waiting for it to happen again and hopefully the logs are more useful then.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:59 PM

Default Re: .ptx file corruption-missing audio and video files- no way to relink-

Same here - still happening - session suddenly became half its size and was missing lots and lots of audio. Had to go back to the session file backups and get my work. This is a MAJOR problem Avid. I am running 2021.7 on Big Sur
Old 10-26-2021, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milosziv View Post
Same here - still happening - session suddenly became half its size and was missing lots and lots of audio. Had to go back to the session file backups and get my work. This is a MAJOR problem Avid. I am running 2021.7 on Big Sur

this bug has the potential to wipe out months of work. The the fact that they haven't figured out what the problem is yet is alarming. Make sure you keep backups.
Old 11-09-2021, 04:31 PM

Just had this happen to me AGAIN. Luckily it was on the start of a low stakes 30 second spot. AVID!! Hello!! GET THIS FIXED You have NO EXCUSE! Guess what everyone? It's STILL NOT ADDRESSED IN 2021.10.
TOTAL GARBAGE WAY TO TREAT A PROFESSIONAL USER BASE. What am I supposed to tell my clients when this happens to me in a high stakes situation?

WE NEED A RESPONSE NOW IN THIS THREAD from AVID.

I'll add - Happened with PT 2021.7 on Mojave 10.14.
Old 11-10-2021, 01:38 AM

Can you trace back how it happened or in general what functions/tools you were using?
Old 11-10-2021, 09:24 AM

I have the tracer file installed, will be starting a new case with Avid.

Normal operation on my end. Super simple.

No RX7 Advanced involved.

Received OMF (old school)
Opened it separately and saved a new session
Imported said session data from OMF dummy PT session into my normal template
Began track lay and mixing
Drag and dropped an .m4a clip which was converted to .wav (maybe this was the culprit?)
Closed session after only working about 30 minutes.
Came back to find it was corrupt-missing fades, clips (including video, which was standard H264 .mov)
Back ups corrupt back about 15 minutes.
The drag and dropped m4a (which was converted to .wav) was intact and not missing. Missing was video and random clips from the OMF-stock music, dialogue, sfx.

Still no idea why it could have happened.
Old 12-02-2021, 02:15 PM

**AVID**
Please read this as well as the other posts that precede mine. This is a VERY serious bug. It has been around for several years now and still NO resolution. I work in film and television and I'm using Pro Tools as a requirement for my profession. It's not a hobby. In have to be able to trust Pro Tools and right now I can't. I am literally having to create a separate manual backup of every auto session backup Pro Tools creates. This way I have a backup that Pro Tools can't auto overwrite once the backup quota count has been reached.

Hi everyone, so I too am mixing a TV show and this bug just literally gutted my session in an unrecoverable way!

I've just lost over 18 hours of work against a tight deadline. Sadly it happened after working all day and then all through the night in order to finish on time and about 2 hours before I was to deliver the show for review. Pro Tools was acting oddly in a couple different ways although annoying it's common to have it weird out every once in a while and can be fixed with a simple quit/relaunch or at worst rebooting the computer and relaunching. I pull clips from the AAF by selecting/copying them (cmd+c) and then using the shortcut opt+cmd+f to scroll to the destination track where I want to place the clip and then I paste (cmd+v). Nothing special or fancy happening in the process but then suddenly after selecting the destination track from the scroll to track window that pops up, it started to send me to a different track then I was selecting in the "scroll to track" window. If I repeated the process and selected the track again it would suddenly take me to the right track. This kept up for about an hour and was driving me crazy, so I saved and quit, and relaunched the session.

The session reopened fine and I got back to work, but the scroll to track kept sending me to the wrong track. After about 10 minutes of just pushing through because I didn't want to stop again, I finally saved, quit and actually restarted the computer. Then relaunched but this time I got the window showing me I had HUNDREDS of missing fades. I knew what this meant (as this is the 4th time this bug has bit me in the past 2.5 years). The first time I lost about 8 hours of work that had to be completely reedited/remixed. The second time I lost approx 10 hours. The this I was VERY lucky and literally caught it as it was happening - because I had started to work with the "session file backups" folder open so I could confirm the actual size of the backup file. The TV shows I mix are an hour and the session file is generally 6MB by the end of the mix. When the Pro Tools auto backup does its thing and the backup session file changes suddenly from 5.8 MB to 2 MB I know something's up.

The issue is when I'm trusting the session backup process to have an earlier copy I can open from a few minutes earlier and get back to work. It's very disheartening to open the session backup folder only to find that ALL the backups were saving the session at half the size they should be. It's like the session suddenly forgets that clips are part of the session. In all 4 experiences with this bug almost 80% or more of the clips suddenly just disappear. The first time I experienced the bug the clips actually disappeared while I was looking at them. It's like I was doing a global delete. There is no pattern to which files are deleted and which ones stay intact. But, even the ones that stay in tact are affected either by losing their fades or losing their automation or both. I've captured a couple screenshots of the session after it was gutted and what it looked like originally. (the full session shots are just for comparison reference and were taken after many hours of rebuilding/remixing the session so you can see the extent of clips that disappear).

Please AVID....You've got plenty of session info from others who have had their sessions traced. And YES I am using RX. Either Izotope is compatible or it's not. Why is Avid being so silent about all this? Not only is Pro Tools the most expensive program to use (not counting the cost of my Avid controllers), but I also have to pay if I want any technical support. Why do you require me to pay to report and work through a bug like this?? Doesn't make sense. Please take care of this. I appreciate the desire to have a tracer program running in the background but this bug isn't something that can be caused by doing specific things on demand. The last time it happened to me was 6 months ago. But it has happened enough to enough others and per their info you have their reports and you should be able to figure this out if you make it a priority. Please pause on the "new features" list you're working on and lets get this taken care of PLEASE!

PS, this has now happened while using different versions of Pro Tools, different computers, and both with and without running RX.

I am currently running:
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.6.0
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Full Timeline.jpg (50.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Full AAF.jpg (65.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Gutted timeline.jpg (49.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Gutted AAF.jpg (45.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Missing fade error list.jpg (14.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-02-2021, 02:32 PM

ive only had this one time. You seem like a good candidate to install the bug sniffer avid has if its something that's happened a few times now. We some evil ghost in the machine **** going on.

session file backups folder up on screen at all times is 100% the way to go. And you need backups that arent protools backups. Timemachine/backblaze.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:07 PM

Just happened to me again on a feature! This is a HUGE INCONVENIENCE!! I'm supposed to be done with this mix tonight and now I've lost hours of work.

Last edited by D-Hydrate; 02-17-2022 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Adding another screen shot.
Old 04-24-2022, 10:34 AM

Same bug just happened over here, WTH???
Luckily I run hourly backups, so not too much progress is lost, but what the actual hell??