Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 05-24-2019, 12:36 PM
Avid

Default Re: S6 19.5 Example Session C: Vox Layout

Let's take a look at an example of using Track Layouts in combination with linked Master Meter Layouts for a vocal tracking workflow. I've updated the example session once again which is here: Rr_19.5_C.ptx .

Since the Auto-Load settings are set to include every possible data type, on opening this session it should immediately bring you into the Vox Layout, which presents with 5 Vocal tracks with knob functions displaying EQ view followed by the Preamp inputs from MTRX (DADman) in Input view. For my particular 16-5-D M40, these show up in a split console view like so:

So, let's take a closer look at the Left side of the console representing the vocal tracks in Pro Tools:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pt51e0liv7...racks.MOV?dl=0

This particular Track Layout is linked to a Master Meter Layout. If you already have declared a Master Meter module on your surface, you should notice that the Vox meter layout was also recalled when the session was opened. When creating and saving Meter Layouts, you have the option to also link that Meter Layout to an existing Track Layout. You can observe this below on the Master Module:

Let's take a closer look at the items that are being displayed on the Master Meter Module:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rxmlm1qmot...eters.MOV?dl=0

Finally, the Right side of my split console is showing the first 5 preamp channels from the MTRX coming from DADman in Input view. This provides the benefit of high resolution gain control on the faders in this bucket feeding into the Vox tracks occupying the first channels in the layout. You can observe that we have a mic open showing the signal flow through the console.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rg79kv0fgp...eamps.MOV?dl=0

This Vox layout is a powerful way to access Record tracks, high resolution mic pre settings, meters for talent mixes and much more from a series of dedicated controls and meters on the S6.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 05-25-2019, 12:47 PM
Avid

Default Layered Layouts: Something Old, Something New

Let's take a look at an option with Track Layouts that you may not have explored previously which has been around from the very beginning of S6. I've created a very simple session composed of Blue tracks 1-16 and Yellow tracks A-H in order to demonstrate this functionality. Let's set it up and then you can observe the flow on the Master Module touchscreen.

We start on the Tracks page by touching Assign to enter assign mode and then clearing all of the existing tracks from the bottom destination track scroller. Next, we've selected tracks A, B, C, and D then touch destination strip 1 at the bottom to place those 4 tracks linearly in the layout. Press Store to bring up the Layout Storage menu where you will see slots 1-4 are already occupied with layouts. Now before you intuitively touch block 5 to store this collection of tracks to a layout, examine the yellow borders around the tracks in the destination scroller. There are 16 slots here (plus joysticks) since that is what I currently have configured using the preference Number of Strips in Layout (1-256) which you can find on the Tracks page > Local options (gear menu).

I'm now touching destination blocks 5-16 to deselect them from the layout storage. These blanks will no longer be part of my layout. Next, touch block 5, give it a name - "A-D 4", and hit Store one more time.

Now let's change it up slightly to show the contrast. Press Store again to bring up Layout Storage menu once more. Now, let's use the default behavior which is to leave all 16 destination blocks intact and selected. Hit Store, give it a name - "A-D All", and Store once more.

Let's now touch Recall and choose Layout 1 which is named 8 Full. It's a simple layout which contains numeric tracks 1-8. Next, recall the layout in slot 6 we called A-D All. You see that all of the 16 slots have been replaced (including blanks) with the tracks from that saved set. Go back and load layout 1 once more: 8 Full and we'll show the new behavior. Now recall layout 5 which is named A-D 4. Observe the destination scroller. The S6 has overlayed tracks A-D on top of layout 1 obscuring tracks 1-4. However, since we deselected everything downstream from A-D, those do no get covered up by downstream blanks like they did when we recalled A-D All. Here's the Master Module:

There are a few different ways to take advantage of this functionality. You may want to start with your master start Track Layout and then simply swap in smaller chunks of faders on top without, for example, replacing slots 1-8. Since I have a split Fader, Main, Fader configuration, my start layout is at least 16 channels wide. I can easily build layout chunks that can be layered into channels 9-16 for example.

One last thing. New to version 19.5 is the option to have S6 automatically store every distinct bank setting for each different layout. This can be found under Settings > User > Layouts > Layout Banked Position on Recall Mode. The option I'm describing is called Update Global Banked Position to Stored Position. A bit of a mouth-full. What this means is that any layout I recall, I can bank around then recall a different layout. S6 is always going to remember and bring me back to the exact banked state for each different stored layout.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 05-27-2019, 12:45 PM
Avid

Default SoftKey QuickJumps: 3 other Options

Let's take a look at a few of the less common SoftKey QuickJump presets built into 19.5. A SoftKey QuickJump uses the Shift key modifier switch found on any Fader Module in combination with the numeric and dedicates switches located on the Automation Module Locate section as shown below. Without modifiers, the numeric section will simply mirror the functionality on your QWERTY keyboard section including the configured Pro Tools preferences. When the Shift switch is held down, pressing various keys on the numeric section will change all of the SoftKey displays based on workflow.

(1) Holding Shift while pressing the MemLoc switch will access a full panel of Markers or Memory Locations in a vertical orientation. This is an alternative to simply pressing the MemLoc switch which will allow you to access Memory Locations by paging within the right panel of the Automation Module SoftKeys.

(2) It's no secret that there are a large number of preferences for the S6 console strewn across several different pages: User Settings, Tracks Page, Home Page, etc. Holding Shift while pressing * is a handy way to access console preferences in structured menus which are fixed, promoting repetitious muscle memory. Certainly take advantage of loading and saving preference sets, but for minor tweaks, the preferences QuickJump can save time navigating.

(3) For a hybrid view of Automation, Monitoring and Scrolling, hold Shift while pressing the + switch on the numeric section of the Automation Module. This takes the default view of Automation 1 and 2 and pushes them to the right side with Control Room Sources and Scrolling options presented on the left.

Remember that all of the SoftKey sections on the surface can be modified and customized, including the QuickJump functions we just described.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 05-28-2019, 01:32 PM
Avid

Default Unhiding Tracks while performing Justify & Scroll

I wanted to quickly augment one of the entries I added previously on the topic of new behaviors in 19.5 with Navigation | Justify and Search.

Navigation | Justify and Search

We discussed the ability to hold the Shift + Control modifiers while pressing a channel's Select switch on a Fader Module to justify that track as the topmost in the Pro Tools Edit Window. Let's now bring Hidden Tracks into the conversation. There are three different preferences on the S6 which determine when you are able to see Hidden Tracks on the surface:

I would recommend at least enabling Hidden Tracks when displayed in Layout Mode. From my Start Layout, my session contains Print Tracks (pDrums is the drum stem) which are controlled by a VCA Master called vPrint. By default, the print tracks are hidden in the session. If you were to spill vPrint into the right side of the console, for example (RSpill), you would be able to access all of the individual print tracks. If I were to then hold Shift + Control while pressing the Select switch on the pGtrs channel (Guitar Stem), this track will be Unhidden in Pro Tools and justified as the topmost track. Any other hidden tracks you perform this operation on will also be Unhidden in Pro Tools.

There's a surprisingly large number of operations that can be performed on Hidden Tracks from the surface. By leveraging the new Scroll to and Justify workflows you can quickly reveal hidden tracks that require attention.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 05-29-2019, 02:52 PM
Avid

Default Automation: Enabling Plug-In Parameters

Let's take a look at some of the improvements for enabling plug-ins and individual parameters for automation in 19.5. First, let's revisit the Pro Tools shortcuts for these important functions. To Automation Enable a single parameter from its Plug-In window interface simply hold Control + Option + Command while clicking on the desired parameter:

To Automation Enable all parameters for a Plug-In, simply hold Control + Option + Command while clicking the Auto button in the Plug-In header:

Now let's take a look at accomplishing these same tasks on the surface. To Automation Enable individual parameters, for example - just the filters on a Channelstrip plug-in while it is expanded to a Knob Module in EQ mode, hold Control + Option + Command while touching individual encoders on the Knob Module. These modifiers can be held either from the QWERTY keyboard or the colored modifier switches at the bottom of any Fader Module.

This operation can be performed from Insert Parameters (teal), Dedicated EQ (magenta), or Dedicated DYN (green), in either channel (vertical) or expanded modes.

Now let's look at a few different ways to enable All parameters for a give plug-in on the surface. When parameters are being displayed for a given plug-in - either in channel view or expanded view, the Func switch at the very top of the Process Module can be used to Enable All Parameters for automation.

When individual parameters are visible on the encoders the Func switch can be used to enable all parameters contained within the plug-in. Please note - that this particular function, by design, can only enable and not also disable all parameters for safety.

When viewing the top level Insert - or Inserts Chain view on the encoders, hold Control + Option + Command while pressing the In switch for a given Insert to Enable All Parameters.

Lastly, for some operators, it is essential to always have every parameter of every plug-in ready to snapshot or write dynamic automation. If you happen to fall into this category, simple navigate from the Auto 2 SoftKey panel on the Automation Module to Auto 4 > Auto Prefs and make sure that Enable Plug Auto is lit. This will automatically enable all parameters for automation when a plug-in is instantiated.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 05-30-2019, 06:10 PM
Avid

Default Selection & Insertions

Let's take a look at a few basic operations revolving around managing Selections and Insertions. New in 19.5, the Extras SoftKey panel on the right side of the Automation Module (in the default view) adds the ability to toggle Insertion Follows Playback.

If Insertion Follows Playback is enabled, to return the insertion back to the location before you hit Play, simply hold Shift on a Fader Module while pressing the Down Arrow switch found in the locate section above the 10 key. This will trigger the function Restore Last Selection.

Likewise, to capture a specific location while playing back, simply press the Down Arrow switch without any modifiers.

Press the Trim button to engage the Jog Wheel to move either the Insertion or a Selection if you have one defined. This can be handy to quickly navigate to a specific section of picture within a show. If a selection exists that you need to clear, once again press the Down Arrow switch.

To create a selection by spanning multiple clips on the timeline, hold a Shift key on any Fader module while pressing the Next switch on the Transport. Press LOC to engage Zoom Toggle once you've successfully defined the desired range. Once again, Down Arrow will clear the selection.

Hopefully with a little experimentation you will find a few of these operations that speed up your workflow.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 06-18-2019, 07:33 PM
Avid

Default Fader Glide & Soft Keys

Let’s take a look at yet another new feature which was introduced in S6 19.5: Fader Glide. This feature was implemented primarily as a way to have an external GPI input trigger one or multiple faders on the surface to glide to a designated level over a specified time range. It’s possible to designate any individual faders, buckets or even the entire surface. And since it is also possible to trigger the Fader Glide from a Surface Soft Key, there are some interesting workflows that are possible by creating and triggering these Soft Key functions when mixing.

For this example I’ve brought up all of my VCA Masters controlling the different food groups by accessing Track Types: VCA within the Right Spill Zone. I’ve created two different Soft Key functions using the LOC switch on the Transport: First, by holding the LOC switch, the entire 2nd Bucket of 8 faders will perform a Fader Glide. If Shift is added while pressing LOC, the Fader Glide will only apply to the first fader in the bank, or Fader Strip #9.

Under the Settings > System you can find the essential parameters for Fader Glide - Fader Start Glide Time and Fader Start Target.

Since I wanted to trigger a Fade Out I set the Fader Start Target to -INF, and for a slower ramp, the Fader Start Glide Time to the maximum of 3 seconds. Obviously there's a number of different settings you can experiment with for the time span and resulting fader values.

Finally, here's the quick video showing the workflow. I can trigger either the entire bucket or an individual fader to fade out over a specified time span by leveraging custom Soft Keys mapped with Fader Glide.

Fader Glide Workflow Example

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 06-19-2019, 07:58 PM
Avid

Default Show Fader Values

Let's take a look at the recently revised Momentary Fader Value Display in S6 19.5.1. In previous versions of S6 (18.3 and earlier), there was a set of User Settings called Show Momentary Fader Values and Momentary Control Value Delay. If Show Momentary Fader Values was enabled, on touch, the channel scribble display would show Fader Values for the period of time specified in the Momentary Control Value Delay. If, for example, you always wanted to only see the track names - you could simply untick the option to Show Momentary Fader Values.

With S6 19.5.1 - we've added a whole new set of possible ways to control the behaviors of when or if the channel scribbles switch from Track Names to Values. Let's take a look.

If Show Fader Values is set to Off then the channels will only ever show Track Names. The next option, While Fader is Touched, will continuously display Values while the fader is being touched. This option essentially ignores the Fader Value Timeout setting. The third option, Timed at Fader Touch, Off at Release, will observe the Fader Value Timeout setting (0-5 seconds) when the fader is touched, however, if the user touches and lets go of the fader quickly it will jump back to Track Names immediately. Let's show two different examples:

(1) I touch the Fader and after the 2 seconds I have for my Fader Value Timeout setting, the scribble displays return back to Track Names.
(2) I touch the Fader and after 1 second I let go - it returns back to Track Names immediately without observing the full 2 second Fader Value Timeout.

The 4th option is called Timed at Fader Touch which, on touch, displays Values for a period of time as set by the Fader Value Timeout, at which point the scribble display returns back to showing Track Names. The final option, Timed at Fader Release, displays Values on touch and continuously while the fader is being held. When the user let's go of the fader the Value continues to show for a period set by the Fader Value Timeout and then returns back to showing Track Names.

Hopefully with these additional options there's a combination of behaviors and timings that will make sense for the way you want to work.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 07-01-2019, 01:36 PM
Avid

Default Module Order in Buckets

Let's take a look at an alternate method of configuring the modules of your S6 surface within a bucket. If you take a look at the configuration below, you can see the first bucket features a standard orientation of Fader, Process Module, and Knob Module in line.

It can be extremely beneficial however to swap the locations of the Knob and Process Modules to allow closer and more direct access to the Knob Module, especially when taking advantage of Attention Expand Zones for accessing Dynamics and EQ.

Although the module configuration slider (as you will see in the below screen capture) doesn't feature an exact Fader-Knob-Process stack to grab, you can just as easily use the standard Fader-Process-Knob and make sure to declare and touch in when the modules all light up in the sequence of Fader-Process-Knob. So, when configuring the leftmost bucket I touch the Fader, reach over to touch the Process, then finally touch the Knob Module, which in my case, is just above the Fader.

So in the screen grab we begin with the Settings > Surface and at the bottom touch Config > Surface hitting Next to advance through the configuration sizes first. To reconfigure a specific surface bucket it is always a good idea to drag a blank stack over the desired area first. Swipe left or right on the module configuration scroller to expose all of the possible preset combinations.

You also might have noticed that when we cleared the bucket by dragging blanks, the Display Module changed from having vertical lines to a grid of dashed lines. This indicates that it has been changed to a Master Display Module, which is capable of displaying up to 32 targeted tracks from any attached workstation. To change it back into a standard Channel Display Module, simply touch Config > Surface > Display then Clear.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 07-01-2019, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Module Order in Buckets

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
Let's take a look at an alternate method of configuring the modules of your S6 surface within a bucket. If you take a look at the configuration below,
I think the images got lost in the post