Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 11-13-2012, 07:14 PM

Default Dilemma with controllers, last chance is Avid artist series, opinions and questions

Hello,
After a hundred reading of the C24 manual, I think this controller is overkill for my needs and is way too complex
But, in the other hand, it seems that it's the only reliable controller for ProTools at human price (*coughs* = 3 times)

I'm now thinking to buy an artist mix controller and a transport for my system, EUCON is very powerful, and their layouts are more appealing to me.
But problems of power supply, random disconnection and overall quality scare me.......

I have questions on their functionalities, too:
-I read that encoders are not linear on artist mix, but can we do fine adjustments with the combination of the apple command key ?

-On artist transport, is it possible to assign soft keys to numeric keypad ?

Any thoughts or suggestions ?

Thanks.
Ludo.
192 I/O |
Old 11-13-2012, 09:20 PM

Default Re: Dilemma with controllers, last chance is Avid artist series, opinions and questio

I completely agree with you. It seems like more and more controllers are geared toward the home musician with disposable income. There are fewer and fewer controller options available in pro audio. i would happily pay $6k - $10k for something like the MC Pro...
Old 11-14-2012, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Dilemma with controllers, last chance is Avid artist series, opinions and questio

What about this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SSL-Nucleus-...item3ccc60771e
(no, its not mine)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-14-2012, 05:23 PM

I can't understand why Avid threw away the 3-4K project studio market by killing the 00 console line with it's deep PT integration.
I'm not too impressed with the build quality on the Eucon stuff.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave911 View Post
I can't understand why Avid threw away the 3-4K project studio market by killing the 00 console line with it's deep PT integration.
I'm not too impressed with the build quality on the Eucon stuff.
I agree 100%. I keep hoping for an Avid 004 controller....but if wishes were horses......

Old 11-14-2012, 06:37 PM

Have you looked at the SSL Nucleus? http://www.solid-state-logic.com/sup...umentation.asp and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vbxRlyJAwY. That would be tempting to me if I was in the market for a console/controller at the moment. There are reports experiences with fantastic support from SSL, unfortunately the kind of the opposite to the problems we see from Avid with the Artist series.

I also would not purchase a Eucon Artist series. On the other hand the C|24 remains a great looking product to me (a pre-amp deleted slightly reduced price version would be nice).

Darryl
Old 11-14-2012, 06:42 PM

My link was to the Nucleus as well. Then there's the old Control24, if you would be content to stay at PT10(no support beyond 10, but hey, you never know as it just might keep working anyway). Seen those as cheap as $1500-2500(helluva controller at those prices).

Old 11-14-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
My link was to the Nucleus as well.
Jeez we are expected to read previous post before replying?

Sorry I just missed that. They certainly look nice.

And at the very low end the iPad and software approach can work as well.

V-Control Pro https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/v-co...400423823?mt=8

AC-7 Core https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ac-7...403915394?mt=8 (I use this, handy when I need something to walk around with).

I see these iPad (and maybe other tablet) apps as eating up lots of the low-end and products like the Nucleus (and C|24) squeezing down from above. There are also low-mid priced products like the Mackie Control Pro. I'm not sure the Artist series was a good idea from Avid, yes I get some of the appeal of the Euphonix control, but my number one preference would have been a good, solid, reliable product that just worked flawlessly with Pro Tools. In the ~$2k range for 16 faders and transport control. Oh well Avid seems to often zig when the market zags.

Darryl
Old 11-15-2012, 07:50 AM

Well said. I'm also wishing for a Command16(16 faders) to replace the old Command8. Wonder if Avid needs someone in product development

Old 11-15-2012, 08:20 AM

Thanks guys for your input !

SSL Nucleus looks nice, indeed..........
I didn't go through the manual yet, but first downside, is paging for plugins with more than 4 controls, seems a limitation of HUI protocol (here we go again !)
192 I/O |