How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2021, 12:35 PM

Default Elastic Audio

Hello all,
Don't know if I am not remembering this correctly or just doing something wrong when trying to adjust tempo of loops. I have not used elastic audio all that much even though I have used Pro Tools for a long time. So here is an example of what I am doing: I bring in a set of multitrack audio drum loops into a session that is set to the tempo of the loops. I then set all the tracks to ticks, and then, turn on elastic audio set to rhythmic. When I then adjust the tempo, all the tracks disappear from the edit window and new tracks are created in the clips panel. I now have to go back to the clips panel and re-drag the newly created files back into the edit window. A big time waster and PITA.

Am I doing something wrong? I do not remember PT doing this before in the small number of times I have done this.

Dave
Old 10-08-2021, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Elastic Audio

Switch the track from samples to ticks before changing tempo
Old 10-09-2021, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
Hello all,
Don't know if I am not remembering this correctly or just doing something wrong when trying to adjust tempo of loops. I have not used elastic audio all that much even though I have used Pro Tools for a long time. So here is an example of what I am doing: I bring in a set of multitrack audio drum loops into a session that is set to the tempo of the loops. I then set all the tracks to ticks, and then, turn on elastic audio set to rhythmic. When I then adjust the tempo, all the tracks disappear from the edit window and new tracks are created in the clips panel. I now have to go back to the clips panel and re-drag the newly created files back into the edit window. A big time waster and PITA.

Am I doing something wrong? I do not remember PT doing this before in the small number of times I have done this.

Dave
Hey Dave, can you upload a video so we can see what's going on? From your description it sounds like you're doing everything correctly. (Though I'm not sure using "Rhythmic" is the best algorithm for anything non-percussive, or indeed even for anything that is percussive...)
Old 10-09-2021, 07:01 AM

I will post early next week. Sorry, just heading out of city for the weekend. Thanksgiving here in Canada.
Old 10-12-2021, 02:36 PM

Here is a link to a short video showing the issue: https://youtu.be/DgERZNjxPkA
Old 10-12-2021, 04:25 PM

You're not in Bars|Beats.
They've simply moved elsewhere out of the display, since you've adjusted your entire timeline by changing the tempo, and your tracks are set to "Samples" mode.
It's hard to tell from the blurry video, but it looks like you're working somewhere near Bar -1826 !!, and your timeline is in Min|Sec.
I saw the Bars|Beats timeline jump after your tempo adjustment at about 1:10 into the video. (You were probably distracted by the Freecycle Offer popup window offering to screw up all your Pro Tools sessions for a monthly fee of only $9.99)
Try zooming out all the way after the regions "disappear".

Here's what I would do in your case:
I would start by clearing everything out, and hitting Return to go back to the start of the session/timeline.
Change your Counter to Bars|Beats
Then Command+I and type 1 to define this position as Bar 1
Then switch all your audio tracks to ticks mode (the little green metronome in the popup just to the left of Elastic Audio)
Then drag your audio to your tracks
Then enable elastic audio (they won't move on the timeline since you've already defined Bar 1 as this time position you're viewing)
Then change your tempo.
Voila ! . . . I think

Let us know if that works for you, and if so simply send everyone on the DUC some real Canadian Maple Syrup, Maple Sugar, and Maple Toffee. (ok, a picture will do)

N.B. those new items in the Clips panel are not "tracks", they are simply EA analyzed versions of your original clips. both original & elastic versions are now available for your use. The EA versions have an additional icon next to them in the clips bin.

Last edited by Tweakhead; 10-12-2021 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-13-2021, 03:21 AM

Yes Tweakhead has it spot on (good sleuthing!) - the Elastic Audio is working exactly as it should, and in "ticks" mode is keeping the audio at exactly the same bar. But you're no longer looking at that bar number, as you're stuck at (absolute) 0:00. So switch over to bars and beats and let us know if that fixes the problem.

I bloody love maple syrup. Just saying.
Old 10-13-2021, 11:11 AM

as much as London Pride ?

Last edited by Tweakhead; 10-13-2021 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-13-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
as much as London Pride ?
That was my favourite beer until I discovered this.
Old 10-13-2021, 11:45 AM

oh yes. very familiar. Elastic Audio becomes very smooth after two of those.

Last edited by Tweakhead; 10-13-2021 at 11:55 AM.