Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 09-18-2021, 01:35 PM

Default Re: Promo for perpetual license holders

Not using both at the same time. I just mean on occasion I might boot into the Mojave computer if I needed plugins or whatever that didn’t work on an M1. (I would need a PT that worked on Mojave.)

However with this question, I am just preparing in advance for a future scenario when I do get an M1, how to go about that. If I keep my support plan current I would want to keep the last PT version that worked on Mojave on that machine and then install a more current version on the eventual M1, using the same license, moving the ilok key between computers, but two different installations. With my other software I can easily do this, but wanted to make sure Avid allows that versus having to buy two. Or one perpetual, one subscription. I thought I read some post somewhere questioning that.
Old 09-18-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmuse View Post
Not using both at the same time. I just mean on occasion I might boot into the Mojave computer if I needed plugins or whatever that didn’t work on an M1. (I would need a PT that worked on Mojave.)

However with this question, I am just preparing in advance for a future scenario when I do get an M1, how to go about that. If I keep my support plan current I would want to keep the last PT version that worked on Mojave on that machine and then install a more current version on the eventual M1, using the same license, moving the ilok key between computers, but two different installations. With my other software I can easily do this, but wanted to make sure Avid allows that versus having to buy two. Or one perpetual, one subscription. I thought I read some post somewhere questioning that.
But shure! If you have the support plan for the perpetual still active (not expired), you can run current and older versions. I somehow thought you'd let it expire. I have.
Old 09-18-2021, 05:04 PM

Well my offer showed up on my Special Offers page, though it doesn't seem to have some "unique promo code" and, as suspected, I got no notification from Avid that it was now there.
So if your offer hasn't shown up yet, keep checking in on your special offers page
Old 09-19-2021, 12:40 PM

Same here.

Pro Tools | Standard

Annual Subscription Discount for Perpetual License Holders

Save 67%* on your first year annual subscription if you have an eligible perpetual license

*Discount only applies to the first year of subscription. Plan will renew at regular price.

This will not renew your Perpetual License's Software Update & Support Plan. For more details, click here
Pro Tools | Standard - GBP 79.00

Not sure if I am in a rush to jump in considering that there is no offer to bring my license along to the newest version.

I don't my paying for upgrades but this is actually an offer for me to jump into a subscription which I am totally against.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 09-19-2021, 01:05 PM

In a nutshell this deal gives you best of both worlds. Writing is on the wall already, at some date in the future all PT licenses are likely to be subscription only. So they will allow you to keep your perpetual license working with your current version in perpetuity, and give you first year of subscription for a good discount.

You only need to decide (and gamble) whether it is a better deal to park the perpetual deal here and go for subscription, or buy a renewal when you need it (if it is available at that time -- remember what happened to reinstatement codes).

I have absolutely zero inside information, but my logical part of brain is still working.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
In a nutshell this deal gives you best of both worlds. Writing is on the wall already, at some date in the future all PT licenses are likely to be subscription only. So they will allow you to keep your perpetual license working with your current version in perpetuity, and give you first year of subscription for a good discount.

You only need to decide (and gamble) whether it is a better deal to park the perpetual deal here and go for subscription, or buy a renewal when you need it (if it is available at that time -- remember what happened to reinstatement codes).

I have absolutely zero inside information, but my logical part of brain is still working.
It would be absolutely and completely ridiculous if a Pro Tools Ultimate user with a perpetual license and an active support plan, at some point will be forced to pay double the price annually, to have its license eligible for Pro Tools updates.

The price difference here is way too steep and in no single thinkable way best of both worlds.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:52 PM

This deal gives "the best of both worlds" to those who have already purchased a Reinstatement Code to use after this Subscription lapses.

Pretty sure this “time-line” is a recent addition to the FAQ – so now this offer may also appeal to Perpetual license owners who don’t want to start a Subscription until their Active Plan/s expire:

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...cription-Promo
FAQ:
Q: If I take advantage of this promotion, can I activate my subscription license at a later date?
A: You may activate the subscription license at a later date by clicking the Receive License and Downloads button only at your preferred start date of the subscription.
Old 09-19-2021, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
This deal gives "the best of both worlds" to those who have already purchased a Reinstatement Code to use after this Subscription lapses.

Pretty sure this “time-line” is a recent addition to the FAQ – so now this offer may also appeal to Perpetual license owners who don’t want to start a Subscription until their Active Plan/s expire:

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...cription-Promo
FAQ:
Q: If I take advantage of this promotion, can I activate my subscription license at a later date?
A: You may activate the subscription license at a later date by clicking the Receive License and Downloads button only at your preferred start date of the subscription.
Well eventually the whole idea behind this ‘promo’ of course is, that people like to save $100 one time and bite the bullet. Then they forget to renew their support plan, since their pro tools ultimate launches perfectly fine because the subscription is still active and they can’t reinstantiate anymore once their support plan lapses., because that’s not an option anymore. yet there they go, from $399 annually to $799 annually to be able to get pro tools version updates.
Old 09-19-2021, 07:58 PM

Most realise that the full entry price is required if you let your Perpetual license lapse

Why start a Subscription while already having a Perpetual Active Plan (unless you needed multiple systems)?

Those with current Perpetuals – keep updating them!

Those with lapsed Perpetuals (with or without prior-purchased Reinstatements) – this is a "good" deal, if saving $100 matters
Old 09-19-2021, 08:32 PM

Back when they were “On Sale” - Pro Tools Standard Perpetual Renewal was $99 per year and Ultimate Reinstatements were $599 each – that’s when the moths (reluctantly) flew out of my wallet

I see this promotion as “Subscriptions On Sale” – especially if some Annual Report “needs the numbers boosted NOW!”

Ending Perpetuals?
Not only a legal quagmire – but why would Avid knock back money from those who absolutely refuse to Subscribe?
In Australia, refunds would be required if what we bought turned out to be different from what was advertised … pretty sure this would apply elsewhere, too …