Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 08-04-2021, 11:47 AM

Default Protools 11 won't open after deleting iTunes from computer/ Help!

Good news. All appears to be resolved now after installing the update.

UPDATE:

After trashing preferences and shutting down/booting back up, I selected an older file to open and the program opened without an issue. Then I was also able to open the file I was working on.

Then the program crashed again. Now I can no longer open the file or a backup.

2nd UPDATE: Trashed preferences again. Also ran disc utility, verified and repaired disc permission. Was then able to open the file.

3rd UPDATE: Protools crashed when I attempted to bounce the mix from the arrangement to disc. Despite repeatedly doing a file save while working on the arrangement, the file name did not come up when trying to re-open (unsuccessfully) Protools again.

I will repeat the step of trashing preferences and maybe do another disc utility verify and repair disc permissions. Protools has never acted like this before, which is why I had originally asked if the problems have anything to do with my deleting iTunes and the all the files associated with it.

4th UPDATE: Installed most recent update to Protools 11 and everything is working thankfully.

ORIGINAL POST:
Mac os 10.10. 5

Is there a connection here between these two programs? Is Protools reliant on iTunes being installed on machine. Or does the computer become unstable if you remove iTunes.

I trashed iTunes because it was taking up a lot of space on my computer. After that Protools crashed on me and will not re-open. It loads a few plugins and tracks, but then I get the error that it can't open.

I have restarted the computer but same issue. Now will do a complete shut down. Will trash the preferences as well and we'll see what happens. Should I reinstall Protools?

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac12,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: 87.0.0
SMC Version (system): 1.71f21
Serial Number (system): C02FPYJ2DHJF
Hardware UUID: BBF9A6FE-7D8C-5B81-9EED-C279F19BDD38

Last edited by soundartsonline; 08-07-2021 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-04-2021, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Protools 11 won't open after deleting iTunes from computer/ Help!

PT is not reliant on iTunes, but may be reliant on Quicktime(which you may have removed when you removed iTunes). Put Quicktime back in and cross your fingers

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-05-2021, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Protools 11 won't open after deleting iTunes from computer/ Help!

Hi Albee,

Thanks for your reply. Quicktime is still working. Wasn't removed.

Lisa