Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2003, 08:53 AM

Default Superdrive CD burner alternatives?

I need a faster FW CD burner then my embarrassingly slow Apple Superdrive. Any recommendations? Also, how does Toast & Jam deal with two CD burners on line?

Thanks a bunch, -Mick

PT 5.3.1 / G4 933 / OS 9.2.2
Old 06-07-2003, 09:01 AM

Default Re: Superdrive CD burner alternatives?

pioneer DVR-105/AO5 [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-07-2003, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woodywho:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Uhh, isn't THAT the SuperDrive he's talking about?

The cool thing is, you can pick up any IDE CD-RW and mount it in a 5.25" FireWire Drive kit. I'm sure a few people will chime in and tell which is the best.

Happy Hunting! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-07-2003, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mick F. Cantarella:
I need a faster FW CD burner then my embarrassingly slow Apple Superdrive. Any recommendations? Also, how does Toast & Jam deal with two CD burners on line?

Thanks a bunch, -Mick

PT 5.3.1 / G4 933 / OS 9.2.2
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I just went through this. To use more than one burner at a time with Toast, go to your hard drive and select the Toast icon and hit command/D to make a copy on you hard drive. Then open both programs and they will see different drives. You have to load each program independently but it works great. I don't know what the limitations are as far as how many copies can be made.
Hope this helps,

Ernie Wells
www.eighthnoteproductions.com
Old 06-08-2003, 12:41 AM

Hey Mick - I had the same reaction after burning just one CD-R with my Superdrive... ended up getting a LaCie FW CD-RW burner, something like 48x speed (though I never run past 24x, even for ref listens.. superstitious I guess) for a couple hundred bucks... of course they're faster AND cheaper now. FWIW it's very happy with Mitsui & Tiayo Yudin (sp?) media.

Ernie's answer to using both drives at once is confirmed from another source. However if you just want to use one at a time, you simply search for available drives from within Toast, and choose accordingly - the app will then remember your selection.

One other thought - when I connected a FW CD-RW to one of the G4's FW ports, then a FW hard drive to the other G4 FW port, then tried to burn CD's from the FW hard drive, I had hard crashes & lock-ups. However, daisy-chaining solved everything... several FW drives in addition to the CD-RW & everybody's happy. Hope this helps.

Warmest Regards,
Brian
Old 06-08-2003, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by digiengineer:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by woodywho:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Uhh, isn't THAT the SuperDrive he's talking about?

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">He could have a dvr-104?!?

Lacie and Lite-on drives are the way to go!!
Old 06-08-2003, 03:10 PM

yeah, the superdrives suck. or at least mine does(104). i want my $200 back! i'll get decent dvd burner later- one that works well without tons of coasters preferably...

is there a need to spend the extra for a Plextor?
seems like the Lacie or Lite-On drives are just fine.
Old 06-08-2003, 04:42 PM

Hey, regarding using 2 drives with toast, just click on the drive info at the bottom of the window and it swaps to the other one, I use it all the time.
I also agree the super drive way too slow. I only use it to archive DVDs i burn ALL cds on a another drive.
[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]