Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2003, 11:01 AM

Default Re: iLok Failure Plan

Why can't the authorization be handled through the plugin manufacturer? Ie: We have passworded accounts with the plugin manufacturer that only we can access, online. You could re-download authorisations as needed to, lets say, two registered iLoks (one for a backup). If the account is accessed too many times, a flag goes up and the manufacturer contacts the owner saying, "What's the problem here?" If an un registered iLok is attempted, the account is frozen until the problem is sorted out. Can this work? Are iLoks serial numbered?

Having to play the telephone game between Pace and the plugin manufacturers is bound to be a problem. Being able to access your own "account" for middle of the night emergencies is a must.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:07 PM

Quote:
It was easy to transfer MachFive authorization from one iLok to another using one of the plastic licence cards. A card from any vendor will work as long as it doesn't currently hold an authorization; the physical cards are all identical. I described the procedure in detail on another thread. I don't know if it works for all plugins.
The iLok.com website (PACE) says this in their FAQ (last updated 10/5/2003):

How do I transfer authorizations between iLoks?

This feature is not yet available. If you have opted in your account information to receive information regarding iLok.com updates, we will send you an e-mail when any update to iLok.com is available. To change these settings in your account, please log in, select "Account" Info" from the menu bar, check the "Notify me" check box, enter your password, then press the "Update Account Info" button.

I found similar info on a www.digidesign.com webpage just a couple of days ago, but now I can't find it. Maybe with some more looking. Digi's pages don't include update dates.

j mcd
Old 12-18-2003, 12:27 PM

I would REALLY like to see the transfer option enabled on ilok.com. Then we could have one or two empty spares registered and transfer a license group when a system ilok breaks.
My two newest HD systems each have iloks with some 25 full licenses on them, and in this super-duper computer age it is silly to have 60 or 70 iLoks floating around the joint with like, 7 or 8 of those hubs. And, I would be increasing my risk of 1% failure by 14. I would rather sit around copy/pasting "DOPE POOL FISH HOLE ETC" all day.
I like the empty card transfer idea- just the use for those expired european phone cards I saved from my holidays abroad! Still, it seems like hit-or-miss because isn't the iLok in question broken to begin with, so what good will sticking a card in do???
Like the lists above recommend, time to order a spare iLok. . . and email Pace again requesting transfer ability
miked

Old 12-18-2003, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Sorry, Mick, thought you'd want to know the real world experience of how the iLok back up plan works as it sits today.
I want to make sure that you know when these folks talk about "back up iLoks" that you know that they will be EMPTY.
Thanks for your reply rtcstudio, I feel your pain. And yes I do know back up iLoks are empty (one of the reasons I had to start this thread ). -Mick
Old 12-18-2003, 10:45 PM

Mick,

Thanks for the empathy. Hope you have a plan now, as kludgy as it is right now under the current conditions.

Just an update. I still do not have temporary licenses for all my plugins. This is the end of the SECOND day of down time.

So this really does not work. Again, I think the most important thing I can do now is get all my plugin vendors on speed dial. Email is not a working option for some companies, they just respond way too slowly. It's doubly frustrating knowing that it only takes seconds for them to upload the license to my ilok.com account.

I'm expecting my repaired/new iLok from PACE tomorrow. I hope that a better solution is forthcoming.
Pro Tools 10/11 HD, Mac OS 10.8.2, Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (June 2012) 64 Gig RAM, Avid HDX Card, OMNI HD I/O, 192 HD 16x16, Artist MC Control, Firewire audio drives, Sony Bravia 42" HDMI monitor, Acer 24" monitor
Old 12-19-2003, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Quote:
It was easy to transfer MachFive authorization from one iLok to another using one of the plastic licence cards. A card from any vendor will work as long as it doesn't currently hold an authorization; the physical cards are all identical. I described the procedure in detail on another thread. I don't know if it works for all plugins.
The iLok.com website (PACE) says this in their FAQ (last updated 10/5/2003):

How do I transfer authorizations between iLoks?

This feature is not yet available.

Be that as it may, I did it and it worked! This was based on instructions from MOTU tech support.
HD 2 Accel
PT 7.1cs9
192 I/O
Old 12-19-2003, 05:31 AM

I had an iLok failure a month or two back, and started the thread that Rail linked to above. It took 5 days to get a replacement from PACE, not counting the afternoon I overnighted my iLok to them. Two of those days were a weekend. Even if the turnaround was two days instead of five it would not be satisfying. If we had a temporary license for each plugin already deposited specifically for this purpose, and a spare iLok in a drawer, we would have everything we need to keep working no matter what day or time an iLok self destructs. The current plan which requires us to contact each manufacturer who holds our registrations is so obviously flawed that I wonder what level of disrespect we consumers are held in.

Within the current plan, Digi's willingness to react quickly is a great thing. Not all manufacturers are as concerned nor do they maintain 24 hour phone lines. Email (PACE's prefered method of communication) is much worse. The plan is flawed.
Old 12-19-2003, 02:36 PM

Quote:
If your iLok fails:
1. Contact PACE for an RMA#. Once you send them the broken iLok, they will replace it within two days.
2. Contact your plugin vendors. They will deposit temporary authorizations in your iLok.com account.
3. Move your temporary authorizations to your backup iLok.
4. Within a few days you should have the original iLok replaced by PACE.
I have the plugin bundle that I got with my HD3, Massive Pack 2.0, and Waves. Will I still need to call all the individual plugin vendors if I need temporary authorizations? Yikes. Maybe my client who's session won't open can help me at the phone banks .

Also, If I get an RMA and I send in my broken iLok to Pace, will the replacement they send me back have all my authorizations on it???

Thanks again, -Mick
Old 12-19-2003, 10:44 PM

[quote
I have the plugin bundle that I got with my HD3, Massive Pack 2.0, and Waves. Will I still need to call all the individual plugin vendors if I need temporary authorizations? Yikes. Maybe my client who's session won't open can help me at the phone banks .

Also, If I get an RMA and I send in my broken iLok to Pace, will the replacement they send me back have all my authorizations on it???

Thanks again, -Mick

[/QUOTE]

Yes, even though you got some of your plugins via a bundle, you will still have to call EACH vendor separately, a lousy solution to say the least. I got some of mine through a bundle as well. Digidesign can only upload licenses for the plugins they make or directly distribute (like Line 6 stuff etc.) So I can't stress enough for you to start TODAY making a phone number list of all your vendors. DO NOT depend on email if you want to get back to work quickly.

The iLok you get back from PACE will have all the authorizations on it. That's the plan anyway, I still do NOT have mine back, so that blows the 2 day turnaround out of the water. I do as of TODAY have all the temporary licenses I need to work. But even that took three days.
Pro Tools 10/11 HD, Mac OS 10.8.2, Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (June 2012) 64 Gig RAM, Avid HDX Card, OMNI HD I/O, 192 HD 16x16, Artist MC Control, Firewire audio drives, Sony Bravia 42" HDMI monitor, Acer 24" monitor
Old 12-19-2003, 11:20 PM

What a nightmare!! If this happened to me in the middle of a job I would be dissapointed. I guess I am glad I only have 23 to re-do..

How much are aditional iloks and do I download backups after it happeneds?

Administrator or user email me direct.

Thanks in advance!

Greg

[email protected]
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS