Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 09-05-2022, 09:33 AM

Default Anyone tried JBL 4410 …

Hey Friends

Anyone have any experience with the JBL 4410 as I have been offered a nice recapped pair for 500 bucks and though we have several great monitors already like Barefoot MM27, Genelec 5.1 surround with 5 of the 8250’s and their 12 inch sub, A pair of OPAL and the NS10’s (not a great monitor but they do their job and also a pair of ATC for super loud listening which are built in to the wall and cost more than all the other ones we have together and then some so I just wonder how the 4410’s sound as just as a fun test since they are a what I think a good price and probably doesn’t sound like anything we have today.

Any thoughts and info much appreciated and Thanks for reading

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-05-2022, 10:45 AM

Default Re: Anyone tried JBL 4410 …

Hi, Christopher. I have no experience w/4410s, but I can tell you that I used JBL 4408 two-way for mixing thru the nineties, with a Elektrocompaniet power amp. It worked well, maybe a little unexciting, but I think it translated quite well to other systems. Nice to have the controllers for highs/lows to fit them to personal taste. Well made. Still have them.
Old 09-05-2022, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Hi, Christopher. I have no experience w/4410s, but I can tell you that I used JBL 4408 two-way for mixing thru the nineties, with a Elektrocompaniet power amp. It worked well, maybe a little unexciting, but I think it translated quite well to other systems. Nice to have the controllers for highs/lows to fit them to personal taste. Well made. Still have them.
Thank You for that Ben

The pair i was offered is basically unused and they have been having recapping and a general overhaul and put away so I am really looking to buy them as 500 dollars is cheap and if they are as good as I think even though old but old does certainly don’t mean bad it is a fun test and i do know that those old JBL 4408/4410/4412 etc are very well made and built and sometimes they are better than the new monitors for a 4-5 th less money. We had a pair of 2006 JBL 4328p in a smaller room here for 6 years with built in calibration and the jbl mic to use for this although an early rather good calibration function they sounded as good as any 1500-2000 USD monitors and we paid 450 euro for the pair so i think i will buy the 4410 bi-directionals to try as it wont break the bank.

Thanks again Ben

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-05-2022, 07:17 PM

I mixed on them for over 20 years (but added subs to them). No complaints, really, but I did recently upgrade. They’re nice solid monitors.
Old 09-06-2022, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
I mixed on them for over 20 years (but added subs to them). No complaints, really, but I did recently upgrade. They’re nice solid monitors.
Thanks brother

We went ahead and paid 430 USD and gonna hook them up in one of the rooms tomorrow so will report back when tested them properly and it will be a fun test. Will try with and without a sub so we can make a valid decision if we keep them or donate to the music school we try to help out as much we can with nice gear that we don’t use and gear should be used :)

Thanks again for your thoughts guys

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-06-2022, 03:46 PM

JBL mention... mind wanders... I would love a pair of JBL L-100s.

Never spent time critically listening to them, it's just the 1970's modernist look of them. Must have the orange foam grill. Gotta set up in a room with a pair of Eames sofa chairs.

https://www.jbl.com/bookshelf/L100+CLASSIC.html

Lots of (cough) "audiophile" reviews of them out there...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L-100.jpg (26.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-07-2022, 06:38 AM

Looks cool and old craftmanship but are these studio or HiFi first or both? I’ve noticed that bigger studios here have what we have mounted in the walls (ATC) or big JBL’s which probably are 20-30 yo but sounds amazeballs considering the the fact they cost a lot less than our ATC SCM200ASL which were ALOT of $$$ a few years ago and we bought the demo ex plus 2X 18 inch subs built in under the 200’s and the ones have are 2x 12 inch bass elements in each so we had to get 2 subs aswell as the 200’s are amazing but in our biger room needed more bass for us and the artists and suits from labels who want power and MORE POWER When they are here to listen hehe

The JBL models with 2x 15 inch bass elements they say cost like 12000 USD and honestly sound GREAT so we would have put in some JBL’s 2x15” and could have saved a ton of cash for other gear but we love the ATC monitors and it is no regrets after 4 years. Of course we dont mix or use them before we wanna listen on HIGH volumes but it is a good setup and when we use them we smile BIG so it was worth it to us.

PS. The older JBL models for studio and for HiFi are super nice sounding and maybe a bit under estimated for studio use but they are great and should be said many times as you can get great deals on a pair for really good prices if you know what they are and what models are a fit for the room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
JBL mention... mind wanders... I would love a pair of JBL L-100s.

Never spent time critically listening to them, it's just the 1970's modernist look of them. Must have the orange foam grill. Gotta set up in a room with a pair of Eames sofa chairs.

https://www.jbl.com/bookshelf/L100+CLASSIC.html

Lots of (cough) "audiophile" reviews of them out there...

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-07-2022, 09:18 AM

The Original L-100 circa 1970 was the consumer/audiophile version of the JBL 4310 pro monitors. I had to go look that up I knew they were based on something pro. These new L-100 reproduction series are meant to be beautifully built, but again targeted at audiophile markets... I'd suspect they might work well for pro monitoring, and not be too colored. But would obviously want to hear.

These are marketed as "bookshelf" speakers, you need a damn big bookshelf, and they are really designed to run on their stands... I think a lot of that was JBL product range games and wanting to be sure to position their speakers with big ass woofers as full range/serious/definitely non-bookshelf.

I agree these JBLs can be great... like some really good speakers, in the 1970s era really good vs the competition and competition price. For 1970 the L-100 was ~$550 a pair, compare that to the hyped awful Bose 901 that was around $500/pair+active EQ at the time I sure know what I'd have gone with.

So for $500 I'd probably just grab the 4410... how old are they? And when you say recapped you mean new dust caps/surrounds? Or new capacitors in the crossovers? You might need both. A technician with an LCR meter can check the crossover caps for you.
Old 09-07-2022, 09:47 AM

I think they are like 25 years old but look like new both inside and out. A really good tech here in sweden who now is 68 yo so he does only jobs for people he knows said he recapped the crossover caps and went thru every wire and dials etc so they are good to go for another 20 years hehe.

He used to service old super expensive Neumann and AKG and Telefunken mics which is his passion and asked me to buy a Rφde NT-1 and give it to him for a fun test for us and he make it sould EXACTLY like a U87 no BS!!! I know he swapped capsule and other things but for 130 USD for the mic and another like 350-400 USD it sounds just like our U87 from the early to mid 80’s which sounds great and now a Rφde NT-1 is soo good (if you like that U87 sound) for around 550-600 dollars so he def know his shiiiiitt hahaha He is a really great man and can do soo much I am amazed. We still have the NT-1 sometimes when we need u87 vibe (which is not that often) as we have U47 from 1959,
A real ELA M-251 and a really overpriced and overhyped Sony C800G 1999 and some other great mics like Chandler, Brauner VM-1, All 3 Manley mics (yes the Gold sounds way too bright and the Silver is awesome and Ref-C is like a u87 which is a kinda meh mic and doesn’t live up to its pricetag, neither does the GOLD)

we use 251 and our Neumann 269 and U47 90% of the recordings when we have some bigger artists here as they ONLY care how they sound, not what mic and outboards we use and are always open to try different combos of gear even if they have to sing the same songs for a full day

It’s funny as when we produce rappers who are super famous and rappers who are often a feature (aka less known) ALL of them wanna use Sony C800G and Avalon sp737vt hahaha doesn’t make one bit of difference if we say this mic example Elam or Brauner or something else we have in our locker will suit your voice better with this preamp like real Neve 1073’s or Langevin specially modded by EveAnn manley or Signature LA610 which has 5 tubes modded aswell and is really rare and signed by the old man Putnam or some other cool gear we have … Still these rappers INSISTS to the death we set the Sony and Avalon (yes these pieces are great) but not be all end all but doesn’t matter one iota to them.

Sony C800G is one of the most overhyped mics ever and they seen it everywhere else in the US larger studios and believe thats the ONLY gear that works for them but I could have made many big rappers sound soooooo much better which isn’t that hard thanks to everything we have and worked really hard for over the years, however when someone thinks some piece of mic and a certain outboard is what make their sound we have to make it work as time to change a famous rapper like these newer kind of whine rap (i call it whine rap) is way to much work and time is money

Sorry to go off track but I know some guys here in Europe who take out loans just to have a Sony mic to get customers and untreated rooms with not much other gear but they think they wont get the rappers to come rent their studio without some specific mics and preamps but instead of making their rooms 100% best possible treated and good gear instead of ONE mic for 15000 dollars and an Avalon 3500 dollars which unfortunately bring the young crowed in the door instead of a few good mics and some outboards and a WELL treated room the borrow a lot of money for those few items .. I think thats just insanity but thats me …. The first things we did when we built our new studio was hire pro companies to build the best rooms we could get and then we added expensive gear but in their minds that is not worth the money as ”it is boring” according to people who hangs out at Gearspace too much LOL

Yes it isn’t as exciting as a shiny new compressor or a Mic but without the correct investments in your environment no pieces of $$$$$ gear will deliver what you paid for it PERIOD!

Yeah I have a great newfound respect for JBL’s little older monitors as they are built like tanks and you would need a big walleg to buy new monitors today that are soundwise and buildwise on the same level as those older JBL’s and the 4410’s we bought for fun yesterday for 430-440 USD actually sounds like they are 10.000 dollar plus monitors !!! This coffee money purchase really blew my mind BIGTIME when testing on both finished songs we just done and songs we are working on with and without subwoofer which we use one of our Gelelec 12 inch and they actually sound better with those bass elements that are 10 inch than with a sub and the sound is soo beautiful and big and ”3D” ish I am blown away! Thinking we will try them in the SSL4056 room against the Barefoot and Genelec disconnecting the surround and only use the L/R Genelecs for testing against the 4410’s and so far I am MIND BLOWN

I mean the MM27’s and Genelec 8351 which is a good sounding surround system, not the biggest system but we have 5 of them as satellites and 2 subs from genelec all connected to GLM and barefoots and NS 10’s to the newest Trinnov ST-2 and remote but with all that on the expensive systems and ”just” running same audio thru the JBL 4410’s they sound GREAT! WOW!

Maybe time to get a BIG JBL pair with 15 or 18 inch bass 3ways for high volume listening as an extra sound pair for a completely different monitor sound and install them beside the Barefoot to see if we even need the MM27’s and we have 5.1 Genelec system and NS10’s and a Pair of Quested V3110’s so even though I like the MM27’s we use them way to seldom to just have them on the stands so maybe we will sell them and get that money to invest in a BIG pair of JBL’s hehe

Thanks for all your thoughts and info and knowledge from all of you guys

The Trinnov ST2 is a great tool for constant real time room correction so if anyone has the money and think a cheap 250 dollar correction is the same I can tell you that the Trinnov is one superior investment and the same the GLM genelec for that system. I am gonna try connecting the 4410’s to the Trinnov and hear the difference if they will be an even better sounding speaker corrected to the amazing Trinnov machine

Sorry for this short novellaa but there is soo much wannabees who doesn’t wanna learn HOW to get that ”radio sound the correct way” so when someone comes here and you notice within 2 minutes they wanna LEARN the right way and put in the time and eventually the gear they need is the most refreshing times and makes the sessions the best times ever!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-07-2022, 10:06 AM

That's pretty hilarious that JBL calls the new L-100 a bookshelf speaker. 3-way with a 12" woofer, thats a big ass shelf.

RE the 4410 - If you have a speaker tech get them to inspect the surrounds. The foam deteriorates but should be an easy fix.