Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2009, 03:52 PM

Default Synchronising Folders Across The Internet

Dear MAC Gurus

I have some sessions that keep being sent to the client - changed at the client end and then resent back to me for further work and so on.

Is there a way to synchronise the folders so that only the update info is transfered (like in SuperDuper or Retrospect).

I had a gander at my copy SuperDuper, but this seems to want to copy whole discs only and not folders.

Both machines are intel Leopard 10.5 (so that rules out retrospect?)pt 7.4 and we connect via secure vpn to each others hard drives.

Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 03-23-2009, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Synchronising Folders Across The Internet

wont synchronize x do the trick?

http://www.qdea.com/pages/pages-syncx/syncx1.html

i use it to sync drives over a local network but no reason you couldnt use it over the net.

Sam
Old 03-23-2009, 05:03 PM

With SynchronizeX - I would imagine you'd need to know the IP address of each User's DHCP assigned IP from their ISP / host - each machine being synchronized over WAN, Locally, would have to be the DMZ Specified host, on both users routers.

To properly configure this, you'd need to run a DNS Reporting alias like www.no-ip.com

You'll really have to have an advanced understanding of Networking / Firewalls / DNS - to attempt this "Trouble Free" - it works GREAT over your LAN though.

The easiest solution for you, is to work out of a folder, assigned to a WebDav service... something like DROPBOX

2Gb of service is free - so if they're small. Voice over sessions, you could probably get away with their free service... otherwise buying their 20Gb package will synchronize all "Changes to files & Folders" on all machines "Subscribed to the folder", as well, there is a web interface, that allows you to browse "Previous versions / changes" to all files, without taking any of your "Allocated Space"

You'd be working out of a "Local folder" on your machine, so Pro-Tools will be ok. (You just have to make sure BOTH of you arent working on the same session at the same time) otherwise Chaos will ensue !

Just a warning to check with your ISP - you might not know about Bandwidth restrictions they don't "Advertise", other then in the "Fine print" - it could land you, or your friend, with a Large internet Bill, or a seriously slowed down service.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 03-24-2009, 02:39 AM

In the past I have been able to use afp to connect to other peoples harddrives through the internet with just their IP address. The drives mount in finder in exactly the same way any external drive would, so surely any backup application would be able to synchronize between these drives.

If you find out the clients IP address, then go to finder and use the Connect to Server command (apple+k), put in afp://IPADDRESS/.
As long as you have a user account on the other computer which is able to access the files/folders and the client has File Sharing turned on and the relevant ports forwarded on their router/firewall, this SHOULD result in their drive mounting in finder.

The way you're doing it with VPN may be very similar to this so if it is, ignore me.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:17 AM

Dear All

I have been successfully mounting their drivers in the finder using afp as David recommended. Every time I drag and drop the MAC OS finder obviously reports "you are copying to where an older version exists, do you wish to replace?".
The replacing seems to replace the whole original and not append with only the new info - hence my question about synchronizing.

Will check out synchronize x

cheers

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com