How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2022, 10:15 AM

Default Updated Pro Tools not opening old files

Hello Board,

After a year subscription of ProTools Studio came to an end, I decided to switch to the monthly Artist subscription. After updating everything and downloading the new software, my ProTools files are not opening.

Is there an easy fix to this? Do I need to just need to subscribe to "ProTools studio" in order to access all of my files?

Thank you in advance, I apologize if this post is redundant, but the board is a little overwhelming
Old 09-19-2022, 10:28 AM

Default Re: Updated ProTools not opening old files

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimiotti.recs View Post
Hello Board,

After a year subscription of ProTools Studio came to an end, I decided to switch to the monthly Artist subscription. After updating everything and downloading the new software, my ProTools files are not opening.

Is there an easy fix to this? Do I need to just need to subscribe to "ProTools studio" in order to access all of my files?

Thank you in advance, I apologize if this post is redundant, but the board is a little overwhelming
Have you tried trashing prefs? That's the first thing to do, and it solves a lot of problems. If that doesn't work, you can submit all your system details, and I'm sure you'll get some help here.
Old 09-19-2022, 11:24 AM

Thanks for the thought. I tried trashing the preferences and it didn't work. I think that it has something to do with the fact that I downloaded the "Artist" version of ProTools. I am trying to sort it out with Avid Support now. We will see...
Old 09-19-2022, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimiotti.recs View Post
Thanks for the thought. I tried trashing the preferences and it didn't work. I think that it has something to do with the fact that I downloaded the "Artist" version of ProTools. I am trying to sort it out with Avid Support now. We will see...
Well, I hope support is able to solve your issue, but there is no "Artist" download. There is one installer for all and its the iLok license that tells the software which features to enable. This begs the question: are you able to open Pro Tools(without opening a session)? And, do you always start Pro Tools first, THEN open a session(this is the preferred method).

If you can't open Pro Tools by itself, then its probably an issue with the licensing on your iLok. Open iLok Manager and log into your account, the click on your iLok to show licenses. The two important things here are; do you see a valid license for Pro Tools Artist, and, do you see an expired license for Pro Tools Studio? If you don't see a license for Artist, look under the "Available" tab(if you find it there, drag it onto your iLok). If you do see an expired license for Studio, right-click and de-activate it(if the software sees an expired license, it won't look for a current license). Let us know what happens

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-20-2022, 06:39 AM

Default Re: Updated Pro Tools not opening old files

This totally fixed the issue.

I initially tried to open files from the first pop up screen in protools.

After reading your post, I just opened a new session, and then opened my old session files from there.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. I was pulling my hair out yesterday, and this fixed everything!
Old 06-22-2023, 12:30 PM

I also have the same issue, after updating my pro tools to version 2023.6, all previous session will not open. it keeps saying:unable to find currently running copy of pro tools

I have trashed preference, but its still not working
Old 06-22-2023, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatEPro View Post
I also have the same issue, after updating my pro tools to version 2023.6, all previous session will not open. it keeps saying:unable to find currently running copy of pro tools

I have trashed preference, but its still not working
This is probably NOT the same exact issue and you should start a new thread so things don't get too confusing in this one. When you do start a new thread, make sure you include pertinent info(look near the top of this and every DUC page for a link named Help Us Help You and have a good read first, so you know what info matters). We will also need to know the following:
1-is your license on a physical iLok or in the cloud?(iLok is best)
2-what exact version of PT(Intro, Artist, etc)
3-assuming an iLok is used, open ILM and Synchronize your iLok

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave