Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2022, 11:22 AM

Default Re: The end of perpetual licenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc1mce2 View Post
For PT|Carbon the yearly Perpetual Parachute Subscription fee for the PT Studio License is $249 when and if you renew.
For HDX/HD Native the yearly Software Update + Support Plan is $399 a year for the Ultimate License if you don't let it lapse. If you let it lapse then the Get Current Updates + Support Plan is $749 for that 1st year and $399 each year thereafter if you don't let it lapse again.
Interesting - $249 is halfway between subs and perpetual.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 05-08-2022, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Interesting - $249 is halfway between subs and perpetual.

Yes, it is. This is the same price it was from day one of PT|Carbon's existence.
The only benefit of Carbon's Perpetual Parachute Subscription License is the ability to stop and start the yearly Perpetual Parachute Subscription without the need to purchase a Get Current Updates + Support Plan. In other words no penalty for not renewing your Perpetual Parachute Subscription License.

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D - BIOS F21b
Intel Core I9 10850K Windows11 / macOS 12.7.4 Hackintosh / 32GB of Rams
Avid Carbon/HDX 2024.3 Ultimate - 8x8x8 HD I/O - PT Dock - PT Control - Artist Mix (1)
Universal Audio Apollo Twin|X - UAD2 Pci-E and Satellite USB Octo v.11.0.1 - SOLO 610 - Twin-finity
Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.
Old 05-09-2022, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is. This is the same price it was from day one of PT|Carbon's existence.
The only benefit of Carbon's Perpetual Parachute Subscription License is the ability to stop and start the yearly Perpetual Parachute Subscription without the need to purchase a Get Current Updates + Support Plan. In other words no penalty for not renewing your Perpetual Parachute Subscription License.
Yeah that’s a pretty big deal. However I cant seem to find where I can buy this $249 Carbon license. My Carbon license expired on May 4th this year. But as of now the experation date changed to May 11. My plan was to just ride it out since I just made the 2022.4 cut off. But even if I wanted to keep it going, I see no option on my Avid account to pay for the $249 subscription. It just has a window to put in a retail store bought code.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiot View Post
Yeah that’s a pretty big deal. However I cant seem to find where I can buy this $249 Carbon license. My Carbon license expired on May 4th this year. But as of now the experation date changed to May 11. My plan was to just ride it out since I just made the 2022.4 cut off. But even if I wanted to keep it going, I see no option on my Avid account to pay for the $249 subscription. It just has a window to put in a retail store bought code.

If you don't see it in your Avid Master Account, you'll need to start a support ticket with Avid. After you get your case # I would PM MCorbin explain to him your problem and provide him with your case #. He's excellent at helping people with these types of issues.

Avid Carbon/HDX 2024.3 Ultimate - 8x8x8 HD I/O - PT Dock - PT Control - Artist Mix (1)
Universal Audio Apollo Twin|X - UAD2 Pci-E and Satellite USB Octo v.11.0.1 - SOLO 610 - Twin-finity
Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:43 PM

Here's a link to a thread about Perpetual Licenses from the Avid Moderators.
Included on this page is a link to start a support ticket.
You can also state your issue on this thread but I believe they'll still want you to start a support ticket.

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=420159

Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.
Old 05-12-2022, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Here's a link to a thread about Perpetual Licenses from the Avid Moderators.
Included on this page is a link to start a support ticket.
You can also state your issue on this thread but I believe they'll still want you to start a support ticket.

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=420159
Very disappointed with Avid for having me open a support ticket for something they said they would fix. Waited for my Carbon license to expire and here I am with a non working "perpetual" parachute as they promised!
Old 05-13-2022, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolex1 View Post
If you have a perpetual license, don't let it go.

There really doesn't seem to be any kind of incentive to lose it as it will cost you more in the long run.
How would one "let it go?" Sell it?

What happens to my perpetual licenses if I don't pay the renewal fees? I know I'd still be able to use the last version of Pro Tools that was available at the time the support plan expired, but would I be unable to update that perpetual license later for an additional fee and get back to current updates and support?

Sorry Avid, I don't want to join in the chorus of complainers, but this rollout is really confusing, your terminology is inconsistent, and IMHO you're not doing a great job of making the conditions and requirements (and benefits, such as they are...) clear to your users. At all.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 05-13-2022, 07:15 PM

The one thing Avid did that I simply do not understand with the 4/26/2022 rollout is why did Avid terminate the purchase of perpetual licenses at 12:01 am that same day (before the announcement was released)? With just an ounce of grace, common business practice and fairness Avid could have stated something like, 'We are no longer going to sell perpetual licenses effective [May 1, 2022 or June 1, 2022]. If you want one, please purchase it before that date.'

Strange indeed. Who is the knucklehead that made that decision?
Old 05-13-2022, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
How would one "let it go?" Sell it?

What happens to my perpetual licenses if I don't pay the renewal fees? I know I'd still be able to use the last version of Pro Tools that was available at the time the support plan expired, but would I be unable to update that perpetual license later for an additional fee and get back to current updates and support?
At the moment, if you buy from a dealer a "upgrade to current updates" code [this is the terrible name Avid has decided to rebrand "reinstatement" with], you can hold it and use it to reinstate the license whenever you what. So let your perpetual fall out of updates and then later jump back on.

The thing is, this "upgrade to current updates" plan may not always exist since they are pushing for subscription. Avid have offered and yanked the option for reinstatements a few times now. However, consumer protection laws prevent Avid from not allowing a bought and held code from being used in the future so they have officially said the codes can be used any time (I don't think this is out of the goodness of their heart as much as legal and accounting issues.)

I mention you have to buy this code from a dealer and not directly from Avid because Avid applies it to your account immediately. With a code from a dealer, you can apply it any time you wish/need. Don't enter it into your account until you need it.
Old 05-13-2022, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
At the moment, if you buy from a dealer a "upgrade to current updates" code [this is the terrible name Avid has decided to rebrand "reinstatement" with], you can hold it and use it to reinstate the license whenever you what. So let your perpetual fall out of updates and then later jump back on.

The thing is, this "upgrade to current updates" plan may not always exist since they are pushing for subscription. Avid have offered and yanked the option for reinstatements a few times now. However, consumer protection laws prevent Avid from not allowing a bought and held code from being used in the future so they have officially said the codes can be used any time (I don't think this is out of the goodness of their heart as much as legal and accounting issues.)

I mention you have to buy this code from a dealer and not directly from Avid because Avid applies it to your account immediately. With a code from a dealer, you can apply it any time you wish/need. Don't enter it into your account until you need it.
I my numerous readings, Avid calls it "Get Current", not "upgrade to current updates".