Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 05-10-2016, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Pro tools 12.5 is Junk

Also want to say AVID has a ton of work a head of them. Some of these side affects are BS. Their subscription model is creating an undue burden on code quality.

That being said I still would've did a fresh install when jumping from 7(assumed -- sorry if it was 8) to 10.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
What exact "error checking" would you be referring to? If a developer know what to check they would likely add it.

You clearly have little clue what you are talking about. What software and Windows drivers have you been involved in developing? Actually shipped in volume and supported to a decent user base over time?
That is the problem, many developers don't know how to write quality code and don't know what to check.

When writing code you are not only writing code for the "ideal" path, but for unexpected paths as well. This is what separates the good developer from the bad. How well they write the unexpected paths and return meaningful error messages.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidProToolsUser View Post
Okay, so now that you just said 25+ years(windows dev). Then I will have to say you are too smart to continue to use Pro Tools if it has given you these kind of side affects.
And I also know you are way too smart to not know you need a fresh install of windows with programs so tight to the system setup.

I no longer sympathize.
Being smart has nothing to do with it. I just want a product that does what its designed to do. And if it has a problem issue an error so I can fix it; and not go into lala land if it can't. Why is this unreasonable; especially if I pay for the product?
Old 05-10-2016, 05:20 PM

I just fired my old mac pro up. Installing everything right now. Seeing if its better on the flip side.

It has sucked on windows 7. And that was a fresh install. 11.3.2 ran without a hitch. Fairly flawless. Certainly there are problems in the code of 12.

On 12.4 and 12.5

ACCESS VIOLATION HAS OCCURRED!

Old 05-10-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanonbass View Post
I just fired my old mac pro up. Installing everything right now. Seeing if its better on the flip side.

It has sucked on windows 7. And that was a fresh install. 11.3.2 ran without a hitch. Fairly flawless. Certainly there are problems in the code of 12.

On 12.4 and 12.5

ACCESS VIOLATION HAS OCCURRED!

There must be something to that.
But unfortunately we all aren't having the same experiences.
Since 3/28 or so when pt 12.5 came out I have had a fresh install Windows 10 10240 LTSB. I have mixed/created multiple projects with multiple plugins, vsti, rewire, outboard, one project with 98 tracks with 120+ plugs. Hasn't crashed yet.
I hope AVID will help people like you and sort it out--But let us not make blanket equivocations of system and 12.5.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tengai View Post
I didn't say anything about malformed drivers. That is a job for the OS to manage and make right. But this doesn't mean Pro Tools can't run tests on the drivers to validate. Reading ascii files and registry data can easily be tested.

25+ years of C, C++, and windows development.
How can an OS "make right" a driver problem? The only guaranteed thing an OS can do is crash/panic if it detects a driver problem. Windows already looks at driver signage/verification to head off some gross problems.

And what commercial products with complex drivers have you actually shipped and sustained with large user bases? App software and no driver experience is a lot less convincing. I suspect you would be talking a little different if you supported a large user base of complex software/drivers for any length of time, across multiple Windows releases.

And personally, yep, this audio stuff is just a hobby. The largest mass-market product I've been involved in shipping was VMware Workstation (I was the original product manager). Some very neat tricks played here with vmx86 drivers that let us virtualize the PC alongside a host OS. But the really nasty driver issues there that held up releases were things like broken installer behavior with Windows miniport networks drivers. Caused by registry issues, and worse, some Microsoft inherently broken install stuff (often the long tent pole to shipping that software on Windows was dealing Windows driver installers, not the actual deep virtualization technology.). All old news now but the similar problems still bite developers on Windows.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:27 PM

Well if there is something to it its too hard to pinpoint. i have never had these kind of problems with any other version but 12.4 and 12.5 and this is on a fresh windows 7 install.

So back to mac. If it sucks on mac im done with avid. Im not bluffing either. I will take my money elsewhere. They are just blowing it.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:28 PM

Like is said. A week strait of working on 11.3.2 without a crash. No issues. 12 is errors galore.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanonbass View Post
Well if there is something to it its too hard to pinpoint. i have never had these kind of problems with any other version but 12.4 and 12.5 and this is on a fresh windows 7 install.

So back to mac. If it sucks on mac im done with avid. Im not bluffing either. I will take my money elsewhere. They are just blowing it.
Yep just too many folks are reporting too many problems. And you tried your best with a clean install. Looks like one of the worst Pro Tools releases in ages.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:22 PM

Welcome to 2016 where any software "upgrades" on any system can potentially cause downtime. That's why professionals hold off on "upgrades" until there's time for testing. The whole "why should I have to do that?" attitude is fine if you have time to play chicken with Avid and argue with people on the internet, but if you want to get up and running, contact support. If you own 12.5 you own a support plan, so you should use it.

FWIW, I had problems with 12.5 and had to roll back to 12.4 This past weekend, I installed Win10 (in place) and tested PT 12.4 - everything is working as expected. I don't have time to troubleshoot 12.5 with Avid, so I'm holding off until I start hearing some positive feedback.