Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 06-04-2022, 01:05 AM

Default MacMini 2018 + Sonnet Echo 3 + HD native + Problems

Hi all!

While waiting for my Mac Studio to arrive, I bought two Sonnet Echo iii TB3 boxes to connect my HD native and Blackmagic mini monitor 4K card to my Mac mini 2018 (i7 64GB Catalina).

To cut a long story short, it works fine, snappy interface and running over 400 voices with a cinema mixing project, but ... After a period of time ranging from 5 minutes to several hours I get the following error:
Playback could not be started because of an engine reset. This may happen due to a CPU issue ...
After that, nothing works. CPU usage low in protools, but in the red and very spikey. Digitest fails. I have to reboot to get everything working again.

I tried:
- Updating the HD native firmware
- changing the card order.
- using only the HD native card and an AJA T-Tap to replace Blackmagic
- Replacing the Sonnet box
- Replacing the Mac mini

Only thing I didn't try was to use a different HD native card. It was working fine before the Sonnet boxes arrived.

Anyone having the same issues and perhaps a solution?
Old 06-08-2022, 04:55 AM

Default Re: MacMini 2018 + Sonnet Echo 3 + HD native + Problems

A few years ago I was using the Sonnet Echo Express III TB 3 with an HDX card and had issues like this with the Mac mini...can't remember the error I was getting. Come to find out at that time Avid time didn't support TB3 with that box. So replaced the TB3 card with a TB2 card and used a TB2 cable with a TB2 to TB3 adapter into the mini and all was fine. Avid recently approved using TB3 with the Echo box for one of the PT updates but I still had issues so remained with TB2.

Recently replaced the Echo III with the Avid/Sonnet TB3 chassis and have had no issues.

Just my experience.
Old 06-10-2022, 01:43 PM

I don't use my Sonnet III-D Boxes for HD native but for a GPU, AJA, 10G Ethernet and USB3. I don't see any problems like that.
I had lots of problems before with too hot TB2 Ports on a MacBook Pro 2015.
Have you checked heat?
I work with sessions of a similar size, larger stereo mixes and smaller 5.1 mixes.
Old 06-21-2022, 08:58 AM

A question for you: if you change your playback engine to built-in or aggregate do you still get the errors?

I understand this will not solve your issue.