Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 03-19-2022, 04:20 PM

Default Into the great unknown! Mac Studio and HDX

So I went ahead and replaced my studio computer, an old 2018 Mac mini with the New Mac studio Ultra.

I spent the last day downloading and installing DAWs and plugins etc (making sure everything is up to date)

Downloaded protools 2021.12 and the 2022 plugins that were just released. The install of protools and the HD driver were easier this time on the Mac studio then on the old intel Mac mini. The Mac Mini gave me tons of driver install issues.

Today I crossed my fingers and hooked up my HDX card in the Avid branded chassis and Omni (haven’t tried the other HD I/o yet tbh) and fired up and old session. To my delight it worked!! Minus some missing plugins that aren’t compatible anymore, but that’s not avid fault. It played back through everything correctly and recognized my HDX card, which was previously an issue on my old Mac mini.

Obviously I haven’t done a ton of tests but am happy to report that at least I got this far haha!

Only thing I’m noticing is it is not giving me the option of DSP plugins. Everything says native. Any thoughts on this? Could be a simple setting from a fresh install of protools I’m missing.
HD Native
HD Omni
HD 8x8x8
HD 16x16
S1 x3
Old 03-19-2022, 04:23 PM

Default Re: Into the great unknown! Mac Studio and HDX

Also Eucon works and my 3 s1’s all seem to be functioning correctly!
HD Native
HD Omni
HD 8x8x8
HD 16x16
S1 x3
Old 03-19-2022, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG602 View Post
Only thing I’m noticing is it is not giving me the option of DSP plugins. Everything says native. Any thoughts on this? Could be a simple setting from a fresh install of protools I’m missing.

You will only get a dropdown menu for DSP plugins if you are running in Classic Mode. In Hybrid mode, the DSP plugins in your plugin list are indicated by a little lightning symbol to the right. If you put those on a channel, then hit the lightning symbol above the pan knob you will be running the channel in DSP mode.

Hybrid mode is usually running by default on new installs. You can switch back to Classic mode by unticking the hybrid engine option in the playback engine window.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 03-23-2022, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG602 View Post
So I went ahead and replaced my studio computer, an old 2018 Mac mini with the New Mac studio Ultra.

I spent the last day downloading and installing DAWs and plugins etc (making sure everything is up to date)

Downloaded protools 2021.12 and the 2022 plugins that were just released. The install of protools and the HD driver were easier this time on the Mac studio then on the old intel Mac mini. The Mac Mini gave me tons of driver install issues.

Today I crossed my fingers and hooked up my HDX card in the Avid branded chassis and Omni (haven’t tried the other HD I/o yet tbh) and fired up and old session. To my delight it worked!! Minus some missing plugins that aren’t compatible anymore, but that’s not avid fault. It played back through everything correctly and recognized my HDX card, which was previously an issue on my old Mac mini.

Obviously I haven’t done a ton of tests but am happy to report that at least I got this far haha!

Any more results??... Tips or tricks?? About to make the same move very shortly.
Old 03-23-2022, 07:10 PM

Unfortunately haven’t had a lot of time to test it properly, but I’ve had good luck opening a handful of old sessions from my intel Mac mini i7 and everything playing back as it should. Obviously need to be careful and use plugins that are compatible, as some will overload the session easily or cause crashes, which could be an m1 or 12.3 issue.
HD Native
HD Omni
HD 8x8x8
HD 16x16
S1 x3
Old 03-26-2022, 02:52 PM

Adaptor-TB 2 sonnet chassis with mac studio M1Max?
Or the newest TB3 chassis with the hdx-switch?
Any thoughts on this?

√ thank you. JamesG602

Last edited by DetroitT; 03-26-2022 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-26-2022, 04:36 PM

Not sure, but to be safe I’d go with the TB3 chassis. Mine works well.
HD Native
HD Omni
HD 8x8x8
HD 16x16
S1 x3
Old 03-26-2022, 05:32 PM

Stick with the tb2 enclosure if you already have it. There really isn't any benefit in moving to the tb3 enclosures, as the HDX switch makes it work like the tb2 models.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 03-27-2022, 06:09 AM

I am currently running an HDX system on a 16” M1PRO MBP and the Avid HDX TB3 chassis and let’s just say I’m smiling a lot these days

My D-Command and Avid IO all fired up properly and run perfectly!

Yes, there are a few plug-ins that are not yet up to speed, but honestly compared to my old 12 core cheese greater the system is faster and more stable by a considerable margin.

Sadly my M1 Max Mac Studio Won’t arrive until June :-(
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, BabyFacePro FS
Old 04-03-2022, 08:27 AM

No go in Tb2 Magma Roben chassis. Avid HD driver won’t load. (System information sees the card driver no) macOS 12.3
Testing most of Sat. / Card back in 2010 MP Mojave works again.
-other cards in chassis:
Pci ssd sonnet tempo works, newertech usb3 pci works, tried HDX in slots 1 and 2.
Clean installs OS and Avid. Apple TB2-TB3 adaptor.
-
Will try tomorrow with Mac mini TB 2 running OS Catalina.