Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2022, 09:29 AM

Default Re: Controller - Presonus Faderport 16? SSL UF8? Avid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhoof View Post
I remember Command 8 doing 6 characters (e.g. "Audio1")?
4 seems limited. Are you sure it's a HUI limitation and not just Faderport (or faderport combined with HUI)?
I'm pretty shure it was made clear in the FP16 documentation that this was a HUI limitation. Yes it's terrible. Also the four param limit on plugin - makes for dusins and dusins of 'pages' of parameters.

And yes, Command8 has a six character limit. Still makes you put extra effort into naming tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhoof View Post
I need the stability and simplicity of the old ICON, the size and layout of the faderport 16 (plus a row of rotaries). Pricerange about 2500-3000 euro/dollar is fine.
FP16 and FP8 have only one rotary controller. You press buttons to set what it controls; pan, send, parameters etc.

With that budget I'd say, with PT, there is only Eucon that makes any sense. I think it's great. And only Avid hardware supports it. (And tablets with the free Control software, of course.) There are so many options; from an affordable used Artist Mix like I went for, to big setups with several units combined.
Old 07-11-2022, 11:07 AM

I've grown very fond of my S1 and plan to purchase more when budget and desk space allow.. I sold my Faderport shortly after purchase because the control protocol was too limiting. It was more convenient to keep mousing around. Plus the motor faders were sluggish and imprecise compared to the analog mixing desks I was familiar with. The S1 faders are nice and snappy, more so than the artist mix.

That said, I'm on my third unit after two warranty claims due to manufacturing defects. Worth it to buy new from a reputable dealer and shell out for an extended warranty plan.
Old 07-11-2022, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JingleDjango View Post
That said, I'm on my third unit after two warranty claims due to manufacturing defects. Worth it to buy new from a reputable dealer and shell out for an extended warranty plan.
Thanks for the heads up.

The S1 retails for $1950 here in Australia, if there are design and/or manufacturing problems with the S1s, I'm reluctant to shell out that kind of money.

I can get an Icon QCon Pro G2 for $899 AUD (HUI protocol limitations with this option however).

Or the UF8, $2150 AUD - this utilises HUI as well I believe.

My old CM Labs Motor Mix is getting creaky, it's now 19 years old. Pretty good value, all things considered.
Old 07-11-2022, 06:24 PM

I found the bits about HUI in the Faderport documentation:

Quote:
While working in HUI mode in Pro Tools, engaging Edit Plug-ins will allow Faders and Select buttons 1-4 to control the parameters and switches
of the focused plug-in. The scribble strip above each fader will display the parameter that the fader and Select button are controlling.
Note: As of Pro Tools 8.0.5, Avid no longer supports new development for the HUI protocol and has left HUI inside Pro Tools as a Legacy Protocol. Edit Plug-ins support will vary greatly from plug-in developer to developer and may not work in some cases.
This confirms that limitation of 4 simultaneous parameters at a time, and I can assure you, even if I couldn't find specifics in the pdf, that the four character track names limit is unquestionable.

Please don't make the mistake I did, HUI is dead.

(BTW, with the exact text above, I got the 'access denied' error, and I did my usual trick: paste into simple editor, copy, and paste back into reply box. It removed some font settings for the quote, and, voila, my post went thru.)
Old 07-11-2022, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I found the bits about HUI in the Faderport documentation:

This confirms that limitation of 4 simultaneous parameters at a time, and I can assure you, even if I couldn't find specifics in the pdf, that the four character track names limit is unquestionable.

Please don't make the mistake I did, HUI is dead.

(BTW, with the exact text above, I got the 'access denied' error, and I did my usual trick: paste into simple editor, copy, and paste back into reply box. It removed some font settings for the quote, and, voila, my post went thru.)
Thanks Ben, appreciate your advice.
Old 07-11-2022, 07:44 PM

So I should avoid HUI then? I was used to my Control 24 for quite awhile. I still have it, but I want something a bit smaller now. I also mix in Mixbus, so it would be nice if the fader controller works with other software. That's one reason I was second guessing on the Avid fader boxes.
Old 07-11-2022, 09:06 PM

Hi Sean, it looks like you'll be OK with Mixbus via EUCON:

https://www.avid.com/products/avid-s...tible-software
Old 07-11-2022, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean shannon View Post
So I should avoid HUI then? I was used to my Control 24 for quite awhile. I still have it, but I want something a bit smaller now. I also mix in Mixbus, so it would be nice if the fader controller works with other software. That's one reason I was second guessing on the Avid fader boxes.
Similar situation as I work a lot in Studio One as well as Pro Tools, the Faderport 8 (via HUI) certainly has it’s short comings in Pro Tools. Fortunately the Harrison Mix Bus has a Faderport mode, which apparently makes the integration quite tight. Whether the trade off in Pro Tools is acceptable is a personal choice. Ben’s observations however, are spot on. I have read that Mixbus supports EUCON, as well, probably a much better choice.
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)
Old 07-12-2022, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
Thanks for the heads up.

The S1 retails for $1950 here in Australia, if there are design and/or manufacturing problems with the S1s, I'm reluctant to shell out that kind of money.

I can get an Icon QCon Pro G2 for $899 AUD (HUI protocol limitations with this option however).

Or the UF8, $2150 AUD - this utilises HUI as well I believe.

My old CM Labs Motor Mix is getting creaky, it's now 19 years old. Pretty good value, all things considered.
While I was frustrated by that experience, I believe the problem I had (twice) was contained to the initial production run. The unit I have now has worked great for a year and a half. I would still recommend the S1 but that's why I qualify it by suggesting an extended warranty.

I wouldn't buy a MacBook without AppleCare either. And I absolutely would never buy another HUI control surface.
Old 07-13-2022, 02:24 PM

I'm not really excited about HUI, but I do use the SSL plugins and the 360 app, so (2) UF8s and a UC1 looks nice, and would work with Mixbus 32C. I'm also looking at the EUCON stuff.