Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2015, 10:15 AM

Default PT 12 Solo / Rec Problems

I figured that I would post my problem here first before contacting Avid.

Scenario:

I make a new blank session using all default I/O settings. Then I add a few audio tracks using only analog inputs 1-4 and record some stuff. Then, using input 1, I add a new audio track and decide to solo that track while recording to it. Instead what happens is that all the previously recorded tracks ignore the soloed track and play through unmuted. Sometimes all tracks including the Rec track play at max volumes ignoring fader levels. Also, Solo/Rec tracks won't Solo while just playing back without recording a pass. The problem goes away for one pass if I un-click and re-click the solo button on the Rec enabled track(s) but then problem comes back on next pass.This problem also happens on full sessions while soloing my overdub tracks during record. This problem only happens to record enabled tracks. Solo works great on non-record enabled tracks. I never had this problem with PT10 or PT11.

Here is what I've tried to fix the problem:

*I ran Digitest and everything passed.
*I trashed prefs to no avail.
*I completely removed PT12 and associated files except for "Documents/Pro Tools".
*I reinstalled the HD Driver and PT12

Has anyone experienced this problem?

Should I completely remove Pro Tools 12 and Plugins/Settings from My Documents?

Would aftermarket plugins really cause this problem even if I'm not using them in my session?

Thanks.

System Specs:

HDX/Omni
Mbox 3 Pro Stand Alone Mode connected to Omni via Wordclock and SPDIF "in"
Fresh install PT12 and OSX 10.10.3
Mac Pro (Mid 2012)
3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC
ATI RAdeon HD 5770 1024 MB
Samsung EVO 512 SSD HD

Added plugins:
EZ Drummer 2 (Latest Ver.)
TAL-U-No-LX-V2 (Latest Ver.)
Softube (Various) (Latest Ver.)

Last edited by ArtyMorty; 04-20-2015 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:18 AM

Default Re: PT 12 Solo / Rec Problems

is the All Group checked?
are tracks Solo Safed?
are the Record and Playback Faders linked or Unlinked?

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 04-20-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
is the All Group checked?
are tracks Solo Safed?
are the Record and Playback Faders linked or Unlinked?
No.
No.
Linked.

Thanks.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:47 AM

I also noticed that if I simply un-solo and solo the Rec track while recording the Rec track then obeys the solo. Otherwise the problem stands.

Last edited by ArtyMorty; 04-20-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:50 PM

This is bizarre. I was just recording bass on one track and all was fine. Then after a few overdubs, I started a new pass and suddenly the volume of all my tracks were much louder and stayed at that volume even after recording and during playback. My faders didn't visually jump. If I click on each of the faders and/or buttons of each track then they all go back to their normal volumes but when I press record everything gets louder again. This seems to be an I/O setting or Hardware problem.

I've decided to open a case with Avid.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:38 AM

I've isolated my issue. Apparently I only have this problem when using the "Count off" feature. I had it set to 2 bars but I guess that doesn't matter. If I don't use the "Count off" feature then all works well. Strangely, I don't remember having this problem when first installing PT 12, but recently I updated Yosemite with the latest supplemental update. I'm not sure if the supplemental update has anything to do with this problem but I just wanted to update this thread. LOL - I don't know of many people who even use the "Count Off" feature in PT anyway. Also, I'm not sure if this only relates to HD or both Native and HD
Old 04-21-2015, 08:04 AM

FWIW I just had a quick go and couldn't replicate your problem, but I'm still on 10.10.2.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
FWIW I just had a quick go and couldn't replicate your problem, but I'm still on 10.10.2.
Thanks.

Yeah I don't remember having this problem until fairly recently and the only thing that I have done was update Yosemite. This Mac Pro is only used for Pro Tools so I only have Yosemite, Pro Tools HDX, and a Roland TR-8 installed.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:53 PM

I just wanted to update this thread by saying that I fixed my problem. I ended up deleting everything relating to Pro Tools including the Pro Tools folder in Documents and anything else like the Application Support/Library/Avid/Audio folder. When I tried this before I didn't delete the Pro Tools folder in Documents so maybe my problem came from there. Also, I re-downloaded the PT12HD driver, PT12HD install file, instruments, effects, and Expand II. After installing everything - all is well. I'm not sure what caused this problem in the first place but I'm guessing it had to do with the latest 10.10.3 supplemental update or maybe something got corrupted in my "Documents/Pro Tools folder"
Old 05-06-2015, 12:03 PM

Well, I had the problem arise once again so I decided to really figure this out and found out that the solution was simple after all.

I went to "setup" - "I/O" - "Output" page and changed "AFL/PFL Path" to "none" from "Stereo Monitor".

Simple mistake on my part which drove me nuts but I thought I would post the solution.