How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2013, 07:55 AM

Default Opening or transferring a wav file into a new Pro Tools Session

Hello all,

I recently was working a session in class on Digital Performer. I bounced the session and saved it As a wav file into my USB. I now would like to open it as a session on my Pro Tools at home so that I can continue working on it and practicing what I'm learning but it won't open. Is there a way now to open/convert/transferr this file as individual tracks on Pro Tools or should I have saved all the tracks as individual wav files on my USB?

Thanks in advance for any help
Lou
Old 02-19-2013, 08:09 AM

Default Re: Opening or transferring a wav file into a new Pro Tools Session

You could try saving the DP session in OMF but it's a bit hit and miss as to what comes across to Pro Tools.

I find it easier just to consolidate the tracks so they all start at Bar 1 and then do a simple import to PT.

If there's tempo changes a Midi tempo map can be created in DP and agin imported to PT.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:35 AM

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your reply. The thing is I don't have the DP software at home, it is what we were using in class. I forgot to save them as individual wav files so I can transfer them easier into pro tools. I now only have the full DP session in a wav format file. Im wondering if there is any way I can "break it down" into individual files to transfer them into PT and work the session. Or do I have to go back to my session on DP and do it like that?

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2013, 09:02 AM

If you've saved all the media, you should have the DP audio files which can be imported into PT. Your problem is sorting them, spotting them to the time line and working out any edits. How feasible this is depends on the complexity of the session.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:57 AM

It just won't open in PT. it says that it's not a valid PT file, so not sure what to do
Old 02-19-2013, 11:12 AM

PT can't open a DP session. If, as you say, it's not been saved in OMF (from DP), you're only other option is to try and recreate it by importing the component audio.

Create a new session and use File/Import/Audio

Otherwise you'll have to wait until you get back to class and can save it as discussed earlier in this thread.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:58 PM

Ok, I will try that and see what happens. Thank you!