Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 11-28-2011, 11:44 AM

Default IDEASCALE VOTE REQUEST: Software Input Monitoring Off

Vote here, and please read my message below: http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...OFF/27200-3779

Dear Pro Tools Users,

As many of you know, Pro Tools 10 is STILL missing the ability to globally turn off software input monitoring. This is an incredible frustration for those of us that run multiple outputs of Pro Tools in to a console and setup cue mixes through the console's aux sends. We have to jump through all sorts of hoops when doing overdubs and punches so we can hear previously recorded regions on a track - but not hear the input during the punch through the software.

Pro Tools simply needs to gain this basic feature that all other DAWs have, which is to turn off software input monitoring. (Not just on outputs 1 & 2 as was recently implemented in PT10. This does not help users who utilize multiple outputs in to a console).

There are several threads that address this issue, and there is nearly 100% consensus among users:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=311034
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=285447

But I started this thread as a specific plea to raise attention of the very active Ideascale request that has over 300 votes and over 100 comments. The thread is located here: http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...OFF/27200-3779

You may notice that a moderator erroneously marked the feature as "completed" - but then moved it back to "active" after they were corrected. This may be further proof that the Avid staff simply doesn't fully understand this concept, as basic as it is.

I respectfully urge all Pro Tools users to please go vote on this request so we may increase the awareness of the Avid engineers and developers - that this is a basic feature that needs to be part of a future Pro Tools 10 update.

Even if you don't need the request for your workflow - voting on the idea would be a huge favor to us that do.

Sincerely,
Angelo Ucciferri
www.ironbirdstudios.com
Old 11-28-2011, 04:09 PM

Default Re: IDEASCALE VOTE REQUEST: Software Input Monitoring Off

Not disputing that this is a very much needed feature, but have you tried the workaround that I posted in this thread?

1. Set up your audio track fed from your desk.

2. Set input monitoring to Auto, and leave Record and Playback faders linked as per default.

3. Insert the Digi-rack Compressor on the audio track. Activate the side chain, and set the side chain input to the same hardware input as the track it is inserted on. Adjust sensitivity so that it either attenuates or completely mutes the input signal to taste.

Thats it.

Make a time line selection with pre and post roll set up, as soon as you record the artist will be able to hear the playback during the pre-roll - which will be muted or attenuated as soon as they join in.

Playback works as normal - though if the artist plays along it would trigger the compressor.

You can have the compressor set so that it completely mutes the input, or if the performer wishes to play back accompanying themselves during a rehearsal, just attenuates live input & playback. And of course you can just bypass the plugin completely - so if you are recording multiple performers in one pass, you can bypass or activate all the input compressors at once - which is no more hassle than having a dedicated button to switch input monitoring on or off (though admittedly not as good as having a preference option for it).
Old 11-28-2011, 05:21 PM

Thanks for the response Carl.

I did not know about the other thread that you linked to and I do apologize for starting yet another thread on this topic. But I really wanted to draw attention to the Ideascale forum in hopes of getting some more votes.

I have tried ideas similar to yours, as well as other workarounds including keyboard shortcuts, setting up multiple record & playback tracks, riding the mute button, etc. But, as you know, this should just be a basic preference, so I am really trying to advocate for the inclusion in the next release.

Like many other users, I am not upgrading to PT10 unless this is resolved.

Thanks,
Angelo
Old 12-02-2011, 10:35 AM

I'm absolutly with you geelo.
PT need this feature and i've voted positively for this request
Thanks for your commitment.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:49 PM

I can't believe this feature isn't a piece of cake to implement
(mute all inputs all the time, how hard can that be?)

but PT10 is out, and I'm still forced to choose between CueMix and Pro Tools

ridiculous!
Old 12-22-2011, 10:34 PM

I agree this featurperiods to be in standard as standard, period.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chabb View Post
PT need this feature and i've voted positively for this request
+1

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 12-23-2011, 09:42 AM

Most people who have only used Pro Tools don't understand the issue or the benefit. It was the ASIO solution to the massive latency issues of early native DAWs that Pro Tools never had.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geelo View Post

Like many other users, I am not upgrading to PT10 unless this is resolved.

Thanks,
Angelo
I also.

Please Avid Software Input Monitoring OFF - option !!!
MacPro 3.33 Ghz SIX CORE / OS X 10.13.6 / Pro Tools 20.11.0.157 / Antelope-Orion32 / SSL X Desk - 32 IN Channels / Many analog devices. - From the year 2021: Apple: 13" MacBook Pro M1 - RAM 16GB - 1TB SSD / Logic Pro / Antelope-Orion32 / SSL X Desk - 32 IN / Many analog devices / Plug-ins: SSL, Eventideaudio, TOKYO DAWN LABS, Relab Development /
Old 12-24-2011, 08:03 AM

I'm a bit of a noob, but this sounds EXACTLY like the issue I was having the other day. I'm a picture editor by day, but am dabbling with Pro Tools by night and doing some festival mixes, etc. Anyway, I was trying to cue up some ADR lines and wanted to feed the talent her performance via a headphone mix, but mute the playback to the room as soon as we punched in. Similar, right?

In any event, I've voted positively for your request. Been using Pro Tools for only about a week, and I've already needed this, it sounds like.

Chris