Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2003, 01:15 PM

Default Clean power and cheap powerstrips

Looking at my studio, I noticed I'm using seven powerstrips. They are all of a rather cheap variety. In Circuit City, they are selling powerstrips that cost a small fortune. These strips offer 'clean power', used for home entertainment systems. Is there anything to that? Clean power? Is this a joke?
Old 01-26-2003, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Clean power and cheap powerstrips

These are also known as "line conditioners". There is a wide variance in the type of power that utilities feed to you,because they have different sources.. You can be getting high-grade juice one day and a lower quality the next, which affects your equipment performance, sometimes dramatically. I'd shop elsewhere and get all the facts before buying,. Just like any other type of gear, the quality varies. (I'm gonna get me one soon as my front end is together....) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
80 G Seagate internal HD
60 G IBM Deskstar internal HD
40 G Buslink (Seagate)FW ext.HD
Old 01-26-2003, 04:14 PM

If you are concerned about power quality, A UPS is the best way to go. Most decent ones have a few battery backed outlets and one or two just filtered outlets.
Hving in-line conditioners probably isnt a bad idea if you have many audio devices although there may be issues with ground loops being introduced. (because of the change in potential difference in the power at each device)
Your best bet may be to get one of the filtered outlets from Circuit City and a bunch of plain ones from K-mart (Any-mart?).
Having parts independantly switchable may be an idea too.
Old 01-27-2003, 12:05 AM

I put one relatively expensive line filter/surge suppressor at the wall outlet and then cheap power strips after that. Been working great for 8 years! No direct lightning strikes though...
Old 01-27-2003, 09:37 AM

Look into a Furman 20 amp pro or Equitech used on ebay. Get one of these you will notice a difference especially if you use any vintage gear.