Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 10-23-2017, 05:13 PM

Default MTRX Box

Hi,

Just a couple of questions re the MTRX unit.

- How is monitor level controlled using MTRX from S6 ... is the level attenuated digitally before the D/A or is done with digitally controlled analog attenuation / boost (hopefully). What are the step levels.

- Are there configurable dim controls?

- Sum to mono button?

And on the input side:

- Is there gain to accommodate consumer level signals.
- Talkbac mic

Thanks for any help ... much appreciated.

Joe
Old 10-24-2017, 01:12 AM

Default Re: MTRX Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR View Post
Hi,

Just a couple of questions re the MTRX unit.

- How is monitor level controlled using MTRX from S6 ... is the level attenuated digitally before the D/A or is done with digitally controlled analog attenuation / boost (hopefully). What are the step levels.
Digitally. The output is not necessarily analogue. It can be any output format from the box (including all the digital outputs possible.) If you apply gain/trim to the D/A, that is analogue but that happens on the output side and if you do gain/trim to an analogue input source, that too is analogue. Those are two (input and output) different segments that then are "patched" together by the DAD Pro Mon software that can be controlled from the S6. The patching happens through any engaged fold-down matrices and that's the point where level is controlled (between input and output) so it is digital. Steps are to a tenth of a decibel. Also, at the point where summing/level/fold-down happens, the unit is running at 32-bit floating point so there is no resolution loss unlike most digital level monitor controllers that are operating at 24 bit fixed. (technically, digital or analogue, reducing the level is a resolution loss if operating below clipping because you are sinking into the noise floor)
Quote:
- Are there configurable dim controls?
Yes
Quote:
- Sum to mono button?
As any kind of fold down is possible (and nameable) it's up to you but you can definitely do that. You can setup multiple types (I have 5 due to multichannel inputs being redirected to different speaker configurations: from a 7.1 folded to my secondary output for stereo headphone where the signal starts from 4 sources while also running a 5.1 and 7.1 sources to my main outs folded to LCR when I'm not wanting to engage my surrounds.) Pretty close to any setup you want. This fold down matrix is between the input and output selection so you have as much flexibility as you want. And, as you can see, you can sum your inputs or make them switched-only. I run summed.
Quote:
And on the input side:
- Is there gain to accommodate consumer level signals.
Up to you once again, but you have 12 dB of input gain possible which is enough to bring consumer to professional which is a +11.79dBFs difference

Quote:
- Talkbac mic
Yes. You assign what input you want to be the talkback mic. Then the S6 engages it when you hit talkback.

If you are new to the MTRX/DAD AX32, I suggest you go through all the videos Westlake Pro (dealer in Los Angeles) made on Youtube. They aren't particularly well organized if you are looking for particular info but between all the parts (one set of parts walked through by a representative and one set of parts from Marti who uses them to running/owning The Dub Stage which is both ATMOS and Barco setup), they cover a lot of the questions you've asked (and seeing it will make how these things are set up make much more sense.)

Last edited by BScout; 11-01-2017 at 12:46 PM. Reason: fixed wrong referenced dealer thanks to dr sound's post below.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:55 AM

Thanks BScout!

Very helpful and informative ... I'm coming from the analog monitor controller world so things are very different.

Best,

Joe
Old 10-29-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post

If you are new to the MTRX/DAD AX32, I suggest you go through all the videos RSPE (dealer in Los Angeles) made on Youtube. They aren't particularly well organized if you are looking for particular info but between all the parts (one set of parts walked through by a representative and one set of parts from Marti who uses them to running/owning The Dub Stage which is both ATMOS and Barco setup), they cover a lot of the questions you've asked (and seeing it will make how these things are set up make much more sense.)
BScout,
Thank you for the call out about the DAD AX32/ MTRX seminar I did
BUT IT WAS NOT FOR RSPE!!!
It was for Westlake Pro and Avid
Here is a link:
https://westlakepro.com/events/marti...st-production/
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:46 PM

whoops. fixed my post above.