Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 03-09-2014, 06:08 PM

Default Using VEPro5 Server w/ PT10 HD

I set up VEPro5 server today with Pro Tools 10 HD.
Q(s): In 32bit mode, is it independent of PT? In other words will it it function similar to Kontakt 5's memory server? Can I access more of my computer's installed RAM?
I've noticed, (by checking Pro Tool's cpu usage window) that my PT session's cpu percentage is way lower when using VEPro5 server with cpu hungry VI's like Ivory, Chromaphone, etc.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:33 AM

Default Re: Using VEPro5 Server w/ PT10 HD

yes it is independent ...in 32bit you have additional 5GB for more virtual instruments, samplers and samples in your RAM... I do not know about the K5 memory server but the benefits of using VEpro5 together with PT10HD are remarkable. example: try kontakt ni session strings as RTAS or AAX and do the similar while using VEpro and insert it as an AU under macosx or VST under windows. watch the cpu percentage and you will notice the differences. keep in mind you are able to run VEpro5 64bit together with ProTools 10HD (which is 32bit) ...this way you do not have that limit of 5GB anymore... your installed RAM is the limit then... VEpro5 is essential for ProTools HD music production... it should be bundled I would say... the best investment one can do... especially true for PT11...
Old 03-10-2014, 11:55 AM

Default Re: Using VEPro5 Server w/ PT10 HD

Thanks Matt! I have a separate 64bit computer on a LAN with my Pro Tools HD rig. It's essential of the big VI intensive sessions. Your reply helped me understand how VEPro5 in server mode can help when run in tandem on my PT machine.
Much appreciated!
-Mark